U67 Early Look: Too Many Cooks

Tolero

DDO Producer
An early preview of a U67 dungeon is available on Lamannia by speaking with The Questgiver in the Test Dojo. Use this thread to give feedback about the new quest "Too Many Cooks".

BuckGB

Please make the troll chef (chef 4) a parody of Guy Fieri. Give him a goatee, some frosted tips, sunglasses, and make his meal literal "garbage can nachos".
Please do not do this. Recent developments to DDO have already heavily crossed the line into "doesn't take itself seriously" territory and "serve me up another joke" is not a game I want to play. I want to vanquish evil in a heroic D&D-based game.

Hobgoblin

but what if that is the game others want to play?

as spock says: the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one

BuckGB

but what if that is the game others want to play?

as spock says: the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one
That is not the game that was sold at launch and does not represent the trajectory of the game for many years thereafter.

The dev team certainly has the creative freedom to take whatever path they want, but if pop culture references, gingerbread golems, and balls of yarn are the new norm, then I'll just have to accept that this is no longer a game I find interesting and move on.

PsychoBlonde

Cartographer Extraordinary
Please do not do this. Recent developments to DDO have already heavily crossed the line into "doesn't take itself seriously" territory and "serve me up another joke" is not a game I want to play. I want to vanquish evil in a heroic D&D-based game.

This game has never taken itself particularly seriously. It is and always has been heavily larded with pop culture references and goofy jokes. This is the game where you drink beholders under the table, make airships out of furniture, get in dance battles with daelkyr lords, and witness the power of this fully armed and operational warforged titan.

Glargfest

This game has never taken itself particularly seriously. It is and always has been heavily larded with pop culture references and goofy jokes. This is the game where you drink beholders under the table, make airships out of furniture, get in dance battles with daelkyr lords, and witness the power of this fully armed and operational warforged titan.
Sure, some quests don’t. It was more forgivable because it was isolated to a small handful of quests. But now it’s becoming the norm where everything is goofy and on the nose. I can practically feel the devs nudging me and whispering “Hehe. Get it? GET IT?”

Shear-buckler

That was fine in quests literally about madness. Now there is far worse stuff everywhere. In general the game always took itself seriously. The current trend is not good.

niknight

The extremely low stakes, not serious "Beach Episode" is a tried and true trope of tabletop D&D, used to release a lot of the pressure after a very tense series of adventures. Why shouldn't DDO use it after completing the multiyear Codex of the Infinite Planes arc? To quote Magic head designer Mark Rosewater: "If something doesn't appeal to you, it wasn't designed for you... and that's perfectly ok".

Glargfest

The extremely low stakes, not serious "Beach Episode" is a tried and true trope of tabletop D&D, used to release a lot of the pressure after a very tense series of adventures. Why shouldn't DDO use it after completing the multiyear Codex of the Infinite Planes arc? To quote Magic head designer Mark Rosewater: "If something doesn't appeal to you, it wasn't designed for you... and that's perfectly ok"
This philosophy is a Trojan horse for putting out trash and telling us to like it. No thanks

Cordovan

Community Manager
Almost all of our quests trend toward the more serious side, and we've been up-front about these quests being something a bit more light-hearted and different. For those who don't appreciate the more amusing slice of life nature of these quests, we'll be back to more typical adventuring after this.

Glargfest

Almost all of our quests trend toward the more serious side, and we've been up-front about these quests being something a bit more light-hearted and different. For those who don't appreciate the more amusing slice of life nature of these quests, we'll be back to more typical adventuring after this.
Good to hear. Thank you, Cordovan.

Ellisaria

I am all for puns and off the wall references that can be woven seamlessly into the fantasy, D&D setting but there is a line that should not be crossed.

It is like crossing Texas Chainsaw Massacre with a My Little Pony movie. It is just wrong on so many levels.
Thanks, I needed the image of the corrupted unicorns from Dryad and the Demigod with chainsaws duct taped to their horns and charging around with chainsaws in their mouths stuck in my head now.

Griglok (Karatemack)

Leader- The Casual Obsession (Khyber)
Just previewed this quest and have to say I really enjoyed it!

One of the things I love about DDO is the wide range of content it offers. (Death House is still one of the creepiest quests in the game thanks to some great voice acting and appropriate music.) I hope that any devs watching take the positive feedback alongside the negative and aren't discouraged from including less-serious content in the future! I love the easter eggs and pop culture refrences, so please keep those coming in future content!

Some days you get to save all of Eberron... other days you get transformed into a helium baloon or a puzzle tile to stop a deranged demi-god. In a world in which magic is the norm, I would expect the peculiar to be interwoven throughout the heroic adventure. If this particular type of content isn't for you, that's OK. But many of us DO enjoy it very much!

Last edited: