DDO unavailable: Saturday March 30th

rohmer

at least the ****** poem guy has gone
“The Downtime Quest”

In the realm of ones and zeros, where avatars roam, A digital land of dragons, dungeons, and chrome, There lies a server, ancient and proud, Where adventurers gather, their voices loud.

But lo! One fateful day, the server sighed, Its circuits weary, its processors fried. “Enough!” it grumbled, its fans spinning slow, “Downtime I declare! Let the chaos flow.”

The bards wept, their lutes out of tune, The rogues cursed, their lockpicks strewn. The wizards raged, their spells left unsung, And the paladins prayed, their faith all but done.

The taverns stood empty, ale mugs collecting dust, As players refreshed, their patience robust. The kobolds danced, mocking the outage, While the dragons yawned, unimpressed by the carnage.

The forums buzzed with desperate pleas, “Is DDO down? Oh, woe is me!” The clerics chanted incantations of reboot, But the server remained silent, resolute.

In the darkened dungeons, torches flickered low, As guildmates huddled, sharing tales of woe. “Remember the raid,” said the bard with a grin, “When the dragon glitched out and we couldn’t win?”

The rogue nodded, “Ah yes, the lag was dire, Our arrows froze mid-air, our curses caught in the wire.” The wizard chimed in, “And the loot? Oh, the loot! Lost in the void, like a forgotten flute.”

Days turned to weeks, and still no sign, Of the server awakening, its circuits aligned. But hope lingered, like a +1 sword, For adventurers are resilient, their spirits restored.

And then, one dawn, a miracle occurred, The server hummed to life, its pixels stirred. The login screen blinked, characters reappeared, As if the downtime had never been feared.

The bards sang anew, their ballads revised, The rogues picked locks, their skills revitalized. The wizards cast spells, the paladins smote, And the dragons? Well, they shrugged and took note.

So raise your tankards, adventurers bold, To the Downtime Quest, a tale to be told. For even in glitches and server strife, We find magic and camaraderie in this digital life.

May your dice roll true, and your connection stable, brave hero. 🎲✨

Episkopos

Lawful Good Never Looked This Evil
In an alternate plane of existence, we discover that Tumble 2.0 triggered a catastrophic failure which resulted in a one-month rollback. All characters are awarded Legendary Bracers of Deftness as compensation for the loss in progress.

(It's MY fantasy, I get to live it MY way.)

rohmer

I agree 100% with this. SSG is completely responsible for their game up-time.

I never claimed any of this at all. Your original post assumed fault. Please look up the difference between responsibility and fault.
Its also their fault.

Google doesnt go down nearly as much SSG games. Why?

rohmer

More spot on poem commentary.

“The Data Circus”

In the heart of cyberspace, where cables intertwine, A curious spectacle unfolds, both absurd and divine. Behold the data center, its servers humming bright, But these aren’t your average techies—it’s clowns in the spotlight.

Act I: The Server Jugglers

Clowns in oversized shoes, floppy hats askew, They juggle packets and bytes, their laughter breaking through. “Watch this!” cries Clown Floppy, tossing a firewall high, While Clown Gigabyte balances switches, reaching for the sky.

Act II: The Cable Tumblers

On tightropes of fiber-optic strands, they prance and sway, Their rainbow-colored cables forming intricate ballet. “Ethernet, my dear!” shouts Clown Twirl, spinning with glee, As Clown Buffer twirls CAT6 cables, setting data free.

Act III: The Firewall Magicians

In a cloud of smoke, they summon firewalls from thin air, Their incantations written in Python, their spells beyond compare. “Firewallus Protectus!” chants Clown Hex, waving a wand, And the servers stand shielded, safe from the digital beyond.

Act IV: The Backup Clowns

When a RAID array falters, fear not, for they appear, Clown Backup and Clown Restore, their purpose crystal clear. They mime the backup dance, copying files with precision, And the data sings its gratitude—a digital rendition.

Finale: The Patch Panel Parade

As the moon rises, they assemble at the patch bay, Clowns Patchy and Portly, their faces painted gray. They connect worlds with Ethernet cords, laughter echoing wide, And the data center pulses, a circus of ones and zeros inside.

So next time you reboot, spare a thought for these jesters, The clowns who keep our data twirling, our networks at their best. For in the grand circus of technology, where chaos meets delight, It’s the clowns running the data center, making sure all is right.

And remember, when the servers hiccup, it’s just a clown’s pratfall in the grand circus of bytes. 🤡🎪🌐

droid327

Your original post assumed fault. Please look up the difference between responsibility and fault.
I just hope your datacenter manager can guarantee the problem was a one-time issue...or that you're exploring other service providers to migrate to, if need be

Literally did not mention anything like that at all...it was entirely in line with what you just agreed with

I'm holding SSG accountable to do everything they can to make sure outages like this dont occur again. That means holding their providers likewise accountable, if that's where the problem lies this time. If their providers cant promise reliable service, then SSG needs to do something about that, ie change providers.

rohmer

Because Google has an annual revenue of $300 Billion and SSG has a revenue of $20 million (which is 0.007% of Google).

Next question....
LOL, google has always been better... Google also has an infinitely more complex applicaition.

This was in response to the "Not being SSGs fault"

rohmer

Also, SSG had 54 million in quarterly income last quarter.

My company had about 1/5th that and we mantain 9 nines of uptime. Its not money...

saekee

long live ROGUE
SSG was paid by some folks doing a psyche experiment to see:
1) how many pages the forums would accumulate about the game being down (while down, of course). This is page 24!
2) a keyword-based algorithm to roughly determine the anxiety level of players not being able to play while the downtime accumulates
3) the response from the community when SSG just says 'Sorry' once and turns it back on.

rohmer

Maybe because Google has a $69.495B free cash flow? Helps keep the lights on...
LOL, again, not the point being made. My company is around 20m per quarter and we take <15 minutes downtime per quarter. That is including 2x per week new software deliveries.

Thar

SSG disaster recovery plan - post we are working on it on the forums.

Serioiusly guys, server provider should flip to backup servers if something breaks if you are not already on virtual servers which should be easier.