DDO unavailable: Saturday March 30th

rabidfox

The People's Champion
Its also their fault.

Google doesnt go down nearly as much SSG games. Why?
Quick search shows:
On 20 August 2020, over a period of approximately six hours, a global outage abruptly disrupted Google's suite of services, including Gmail, Google Drive, Google Docs, Google Meet and Google Voice. The outage is reported to have started around 06:30 UTC. Google acknowledged the worldwide disruption in the G Suite Status Dashboard.Users complained that they were unable to upload files to Gmail, transfer files, and upload files to Google Drive. There were also reports that some users were unable to log in to their Gmail accounts. The reason for the technical issue is not publicly known.

So 6 hours of downtime globally for a bunch of their services... it's almost like anything involving tech and networks can go down if things go sideways.

rohmer

SSG disaster recovery plan - post we are working on it on the forums.

Serioiusly guys, server provider should flip to backup servers if something breaks if you are not already on virtual servers which should be easier.
Who knows. From the endless bugfixes to the releases, my guess is they have a QA department of 1 guy named Stan.

Stan misses things.

Stan likely missed the thing that caused the servers to grind to a hault.

liosliante

Is this the first time something like this is happening? Since I've been playing DDO it's never taken this long or someone remembers something.

rohmer

Quick search shows:
On 20 August 2020, over a period of approximately six hours, a global outage abruptly disrupted Google's suite of services, including Gmail, Google Drive, Google Docs, Google Meet and Google Voice. The outage is reported to have started around 06:30 UTC. Google acknowledged the worldwide disruption in the G Suite Status Dashboard.Users complained that they were unable to upload files to Gmail, transfer files, and upload files to Google Drive. There were also reports that some users were unable to log in to their Gmail accounts. The reason for the technical issue is not publicly known.

So 6 hours of downtime globally for a bunch of their services... it's almost like anything involving tech and networks can go down if things go sideways.
1 time of 6 hours. Not exactly terrible.

Yes, things happen from time to time. This is pretty regular for DDO. We take a weekly 2-8 hour outage as is.

Balvix

So I just finished a fun but frustrating round of golf (qualifies as touching grass) that included a couple of nice birdies as well as a disastrous quadruple bogey. Did I miss anything? And why isn't my game starting?
I walked outside, its sunny and warm here, I stood there for about 30 seconds, up till I realized there were other humans out there, and I escaped back indoors where I belong.

rohmer

Quick search shows:

Also, the number of hackers constantly attacking google is astronomical. I'd bet DDO rarely even gets hit with a bot.

JustHavingFunBro

No, it happens rather frequently. This might be the worst one in a while though.
Happened a few months ago. Was out about 6 hours on a Sunday, which is a far cry from what is looking like 24+ hours. I can't imagine the one guy they have on their team is still working on it. He has to sleep sometime and tomorrow is Easter.

rohmer

Stan
Happened a few months ago. Was out about 6 hours on a Sunday, which is a far cry from what is looking like 24+ hours. I can't imagine the one guy they have on their team is still working on it. He has to sleep sometime and tomorrow is Easter.
Stan works hard, stan is the man.

rohmer

In all seriousness, I dont envy them the issue they caused themselves. DDO is in theory a real time application that is storing data 24/7.

I am 100% sure the problem didnt do nothing and then break everything. So now they have to unring the bell and figure out if the data was corrupted, if so what do you do then? Roll back?

Problems on upgrades is one thing, problems on a running system is a far worse one.