Introducing our VIP Loyalty Reward Program!

seph1roth5

I'm following along to read any results on this.
Watch strimtom's video people linked to earlier, or just search youtube for it. He does an overview/review of the new system (he thinks it's bad but was going to vip anyway), but compares it to the MUCH better vip offerings in Lotro, elder scrolls online, and uhhh I think another game.

Fhrek

One Badge of Honor achieved
Over an year waiting for the VIP pass... thousands of players suggestion on the forum... to get a lackluster 12 months collar.

Calculating the VIP subscription by the month by month rewards and comparing with other games rewards for game passes... the final net reward for dollar spent - besides de 500 DDO points the other eleven months DO NOT WORTHY

Nickodeamous

Thanks for the update SSG! Below is my honest feedback. Some are great! some leave less to be desired

I still think being able to keep favor storage after TR and maybe even starting at lev 4 if if we get the favor in perpetuity (if we want) would be nice.

Anyway, thanks for putting this out. notes below!
Thanks,
Nic

1st Time Signup Bonus Gift:
Bonus Account Storage Slots - Get 5 additional slots of Shared Account Storage while you remain VIP.
Review: ok. Why not 10?

1st Month Completed:
Bonus +500 DDO Points
Review:
thanks. This is nice

2nd Month Completed:
VIP Bag of Many Things
Select one item from the bag for free:
  • Raid Bypass Timer worth 150 DDO points
  • Ethereal Rest Shrine Statuette - useless
  • Flawless Siberys Dragonshard (Feat swap token) worth 15 shards - meh
  • Sentient XP Gem Worth 300 Sentient XP – Hardly worth it. This is one crunched item
  • Glamerdust x50 - useless
  • Mirror of Glamering - useless
  • Omnispell Dust x2500 - useless
  • Legendary Raid Bypass Timer worth 150 DDO points
Review: This is hardly a benefit. 1 timer? 300 sentience XP? 15 shards? Make it at least 3 timers to equal month 1 or 1500 sentience XP

3rd Month:
Bonus Character Slot
Your game account gains an additional Character Slot while you are VIP. This stacks with any other Character Slots you own.
Review: This is worth 625 DDO points – sure, why not, I could use the storage

4th Month:
+10% Item Durability Ward
Get a +10% chance to avoid item wear on all characters while you are VIP.
Review: Huh? what is the point of this when when plat is useless?

5th Month:
VIP Bag of Many Things
Select another item from the bag.
Review: See month 2 for notes

6th Month:
Lightning Storm Trail
Get a cosmetic lightning effect on your character that leaves static behind when you move (that doesn’t prevent footprints from displaying).
Review: this is cool! I like it!

7th Month:
VIP Artisan’s Advantage
While you remain VIP get +10% to Crafting XP. In addition, each time you click a Collectible node you get a chance to gain a Crafting Material Token.
Review: eh, I don't know about this one...10%? I guess the crafting material token is ok

8th Month:
Greater VIP Bag of Many Things
The Greater VIP Bag of Many Things allows you to select from one of the following items:
  • Heroic True Heart of Wood
  • Heroic True Heart of Blood
  • Epic Heart of Wood
  • +20 Lesser Heart of Wood
  • Iconic True Heart of Wood
  • Extended VIP Elixir of Discovery that lasts 12 hours
  • VIP Sovereign III Experience Elixir of +50% XP that lasts for 12 hours
Review: Ok, now we are talking! this here in month 8 is legit great! +20 heart, Sov III, elixer of discovery for 12 hours. i dont know which i would choose! (def not heart of blood or wood, since you know, tokens)

9th Month:
VIP Discovery Boost
Get a +1% increased chance of named loot dropping for your characters in chests that stacks with Elixirs of Discovery.
Review: wait, we go from month 8's amazing choices to 1% more chance to get named loot? why not 5% or better yet 10%? 1% seems very low to even matter

10th Month:
VIP Bag of Many Things
Select another item from the bag.
Review: See month 2 for notes

11th Month:
Bonus Account Storage Slots
Get 5 additional slots of Shared Account Storage while you remain VIP.
Review: ok. Why not 10? (i guess we get +10 total for being a VIP for 11 months...but still, why not 10?

12th Month:
Storm Cloud Rider Mount
Review: sure, why not, add it to the stable of 15 mounts I already have. This could be cool!

Ungermax

Master Artificer
@Cordovan Hi buddy and thanks for the update.

While I think it is good that you guys have worked on revamping VIP I still I cannot help but be underwhelmed by most of these rewards. I think most of the people saying they are happy with it have fairly low expectations when we are considering that this is, in essence, supposed to make up for the fact that expansions are no longer free to VIPs. This change is less obvious to newer players and newer VIPs because they will have come in during the expansion-based system and never experience VIP has all. That is the bottom line here in my opinion, so with this in mind, some thoughts:

Month 1: Additional 500 store points. Great stuff. 5 additional account bank storage slots "while you remain VIP" no thank you. Think about when certain people can not maintain VIP for a time, and they have to cancel, and lets say at the moment they have more characters than free character slots. I currently have 38 slots for example and am currently VIP. If I downgrade, I have to manually select 30 odd characters that I want to be able to keep access to, until i either delete some or go vip again. Thats how it works now with excess characters... with me so far? So lets say I have 5 extra shared bank slots, and I downgrade from vip but overlook this... Does the account bank become locked until I manually select everything apart from those 5 extra items? Because some people have HUUUUUGE shared banks, and some of us wont be able to maintain VIP permanently. Are you telling me if i dont manage that just right, I might one day have to click through 300 of the 305 items in my shared bank to unlock it? Why is the extra 5 slots not just permanent? It isnt even that much of a giveaway my dude. If it was permanent then great, because a VIP account should get some permanent upgrades if you expect the loyalty to continue. Not massive permanent upgrades, but 5 extra slots is a meagre thing for you to make temporary. Seriously. Please consider making it permanent.

Month 2: Bag of Many Things isnt a bag of many things because you only get one of the few things in the bag. Its a Bag of One of a Few Things. Raid/Legendary Raid Bypass timers, sure. For month 2 this is fine. But most of the rest do not appeal to most people. Omnispell dust I am pretty sure nobody really uses these. Of course I dont have access to the real data there do I but. 300 sentient XP, for perspective, is the equivalent of ONE legendary item being at best, could we up this to 1000 sent XP? No banks are being broken by doing this. Could we add say, 60 Astral Shards to this menu? Maybe add something like a 10k XP gem? Or maybe just give us all of the items in the current list instead of just one? That would solve it, and make the name less of a pun.

Month 3: Extra temporary Character slot no thank you. Whyyyyyy is it locked to VIP being active? It just makes the whole thing more of a mess. Pleeeease make it permanent. Again, no banks broken. Why make the Alt fest slightly dependant on VIP? I dont think anyone who is begging for more character slots would wait for this. Nobody is going to make a temporary extra character only to have to mess around with it all if you cant maintain VIP for a month. Its like if i said sorry SSG, I have to skip VIP for a month or whatever, the unspoken response is, well enjoy messing around with the login ui when it runs out. Nobody benefits, and it will inevitably make rubber band servers suffer.

Month 4: 10% less item wear? Considering how much item wear ISNT an issue, could this not just be made a static thing from month 1 but while VIP is active? Make it 25% as well? And put something else here? Bearing in mind we are at 4 month commitment level at this point, is this REALLY appealing? It will be unnoticeable to anyone. Could you possibly add something like, a +1 lesser heart here, to help clean up that odd iconic character level off? A new person who went VIP might want to be delving into iconics at this point but not be hampered by that first level being pre-selected, so i think the +1 heart being at month 4 might be a good thing to encourage them to branch out.

Month 6: Lightning Storm Trail. Ok now heres the thing. If you stop with this idea that auras and cosmetics should be behind a loyalty scheme, and just ADD IT TO THE STORE. I guarantee you it would be more popular. I believe the thinking behind this is completely off base, the interest in cosmetic auras is pretty big I would say, but linking it to VIP is disappointing in my opinion. Considering how easy it would be for you to create a spectrum of colors for that trail and put them all in the store. This would be an absolute sinkhole for store points I GUARANTEE IT. Because people would want them for more than one character, and yet we only get it for 5 month VIP, and just one color option? You know there is a demand for this, because people KEEP ASKING for blue reaper wings, but sadly you guys are skirting around this request because it doesnt generate any money, and so, lets make everything like blue dragon wings and lightning trail, look how close we are to blue reaper wings without actually giving you what you ask for. "You can have some blue stuff behind you guys and gals, just not the one you keep asking for." Just add blue reaper wings already. And then make this aura a spectrum of colors in the store, and if you do that, THEN keep this as one free one at the time, for one character, and make sure it isnt VIP locked. It goes into your inventory automatically and becomes a feat when consumed, none of this "its a feat you have to claim from an NPC" nonsense. Pretty please with sugar on top.

Month 7: 10% crafting XP? Shouldnt this just be a static benefit from day one really? It is too small for anyone to really notice given that we are now in the second half of the year in my opinion. Could you not say, make it 100% extra? Also what if I dont care about crafting XP? Could we add in something like 1 free character transfer per month from hereon out? Or 10% extra REAPER XP???????

Month 8: Greater VIP Bag of Many Things? Name feels like less of a pun because some of this is ok. 12 hour Discovery or Sov XP? Great, because 12 hours is pretty big for an xp pot. Could it maybe be 2 or 3 of them though? Also all of the hearts of wood are free in game, in 8 months you can pretty much have as many tokens and heart seeds as you need, so in comparison to the +20 heart and the 12 hour stuff, these feel like filler material. Could you do something like a lesser stone of XP that gives you say, 500k xp, or even 250k? This would be pretty nice.

Month 9: +1% chance of named item? Only a 1 in 100 extra chance? We are at month 9 my friends, this again seems more like something that should be static from day 1, with something pretty chunky here. Perhaps 2 Gold Rolls per week from here to the end of the year might be worthy, because at this point we have shown serious commitment.

Month 11: The free character slot locked to VIP agaaaaaaaain. This is the penultimate month! Seriously! I get to make yet another temporary character? This should be a chunky as heck month! I do not want temporary character slots. I would rather just spend some of the 500 per month on them instead of this, and I am sure most people who actually think about this would as well in the long run. Tomes of Learning or something of similar value please.

Month 12: The Storm Cloud does look very cool for a mount. But the sad thing is, nobody will see this for a year minimum. These things belong in the store, and if they were in there, they would SELLLLLLLLLLLLL. Why lock it behind a VIP program? Cool mounts should not be put into these temporary bundles, or loyalty schemes, we should be able to get them as soon as you make them. Otherwise youre not going to see the coolest thing on this entire list for 12 months! This is a time to give some pretty nice quality of life stuff, not a badge of honor in the form of a new mount. By month 12 I would have expected some stuff like, every iconic character gets a +1 lesser heart both on creation and after TRing into another iconic, and similar things like this. You are prepared to give away 2 archetypes as part of Year of the Dragon, which will them become available in the store after, and also YotD will give us a (Landbased) dragon type mount FOR FREE, but are not willing to let yourselves make actual money immediately off cool new exotic mounts.

Commercially some things are pretty backwards I think. I doubt any of the above will make a difference because at this point the anouncement has been made with a date. But I find this new vip thing to be uninspiring and while I have left my subscription run since the last hardcore despite not playing that much since... If this new thing goes through I will be cancelling the sub after I get that first months extra 500 free points. The only unique things to miss out on really is the lightning trail and storm cloud mount and MY GOODNESS it is not worth it. This does NOT make up for moving away from VIP having access to everything, so this anouncement is sadly, probably going to be the nail in the coffin for my sub.

Last edited:

Elfishski

What you've proposed above is just a big bucket of meh. They aren't particularly good rewards and crucially they don't seem to encourage either new player recruitment or keeping veterans on a subscription either. The lack of customer type targetting is just breathtakingly bad.

Yeah this - for a new player extra gifts like this are actually a MAJOR NEGATIVE because it's more inventory clutter you don't understand, you don't know what to choose, and you don't know if you want to keep. This is what stopped me when I tried LOTRO, and would have stopped me when I first tried DDO if I didn't have a friend to guide me.

For a long-term veteran none of it is exciting other than cosmetics if you're into them.

I just want more shared storage and a cosmetics closet, make VIP give 10x the shared storage space, so you can still sell 10 slots for 6000 points once a year to VIPs in a (obnoxiously bundled) cosmetics bundle, and for VIPs that translates to 100 slots - almost enough to store the items from the expansion and we'll still want more. 5-10 extra slots doesn't cut it.

New players also want more storage. Everyone wants more storage. And storage is convenience it's not pay-to-win like some of this (it's a small bonus at present here but as a VIP I *hate* that VIPs are being given a bonus to loot drops, this is the death sentence of games).

Sneakywink

They are persistent for as long as you remain VIP, and if they do persist on the list long enough for you to be able to earn them more than once they will indeed stack, so you'd get a +2% named loot drop chance.
What happens if you forget to resubcribe for one day? It would be like Frogger as you will have to start again?
Frog-SoftwareForAll.png

Fhrek

One Badge of Honor achieved
Everyone wants more storage. And storage is convenience it's not pay-to-win like some of this
Because that I love the PoE tabs selling method, if you are commited to play it long term - buy all the tabs on sale weeks (happens a lot) and concern yourself on play the game instead the storage system (DDO storage, Reincarnation cache the worst ofender is a joke).

Monalisa

@Cordovan

When is the 'cutoff' done to determine who does, and who does not, get to claim the first-of-the-month VIP perk?

What if someone does not login for multiple months to claim their VIP items, but they already paid for those months?

Why can a system not be made to give the monthly perk based on sub anniversary date and not the first day of the month (it is already done that way with the 500 points)?

Here is a scenario: Say I would be subscribing to VIP at 11:30 pm eastern on 5/1. Would that qualify for claiming the first month perk of VIP right away, since it is the first of the month and technically not subscribing in the middle of the month?

Jasves

I think this is a bit of a miss. holding you hostage to VIP for 8 months before something meaningful, the Greater VIP Bag, makes me just want to rebel and say you can just forget it, I won't ever go VIP again. And that is just a one time thing once a year.

The old benefits were ok at the time, but obviously need updating after all this time.
Something as simple as in addition to the current VIP additional 10% boost, add an another 10% on top of that, at the minimum 5%, would keep me at VIP. I saw an ask for sharing past lives with alt characters, I doubt that ever comes to pass, but additional XP would help make up for that in leveling your alt toons.

Daily Gold rolls never seem to help me, as 90% of my rolls always seem to be 20 or less.

The one time 500 DDO pints is not much to me, I get that with favor pretty fast.
10% Item Durability, I have not had durability issues in forever.
I have all the character slots and more than I use also.
And I am so over cosmetics personally, and additional mounts is just more cosmetics to me, they are all the same speed and easy to get a horse.

So, in summary, keep it simple, but worthwhile.