Introducing our VIP Loyalty Reward Program!

woq

I am sorry to say that I don't have many positive things to say in this feedback post. The more I thought about this since I read it last night, the more I am disappointed and baffled.

Some of it is cool stuff - credit to the gfx/model designers, good job. Most of it is meh at best. Months 2, 4, 5, 10 are a joke. Month 9 is troubling as a precedent, gathering a lot of named item drop rates over time seems like a can of worms, where at first it's invisible and later it's significant that relates to how you would design future droprates. Almost all of it is nice only to some people, and even those that like some of it - mostly seem to like it only because they would have been VIP anyway and consider it free real estate for themselves "better than nothing, eh".

To me it feels worse than nothing and I say this as a permanent VIP because it takes design space away and creates artificial fomo sources that are completely unnecessary and display a complete lack of understanding and comprehension of what players need/want and shows that devs have a very different valuation to things than players do. 300 xp sentient xp? An eternal rest thing, as a full benefit for a month? 10% repair in a game where it's mostly irrelevant? Is Myth Drannor going to be full of acid monsters and item damage to make people begrudgingly appreciate this and feel even more fomo?

I think the whole system is a step in the wrong direction by giving a onetime bonuses like +20 hearts or valuable elixirs (12h 50%) and such on a reward track instead of permanent VIP QoL/Access boosts that relate to playing the game as long as you are VIP.

In the end, I'm almost glad they don't offer something I would appreciate a lot like relevant amounts of storage space, access to paid content like iconics/older expansions, permanent buddy boost bonus to items/xp, instant healing/resting when passing by a tavern/guildship after releasing, vendor access from any public area from your position or ease of access to iconic class selection at creation in the VIP - if I wanted something really bad from it I would be unable to ignore this thing. I just hope this doesn't mean that VIPs will garner benefits that nobody else can catch up to once this fomo track of awful grows into a corrupted monstrosity overtime.

However, since it seems to be the way things are and it looks locked in after a year of basically no changes to it, here's a few things to make it more appealing without fundamentally changing too much:

A) If someone buys 12 months now or has VIP for 12 months running, let them get everything in here right away. The current suggested proposal operates like a saltmine and has a ticking timer on VIP players' head threatening with loss of goods if they don't remember to talk to some obscure npc in hall of heroes.

B) Remove or improve some of the hilariously out of touch rewards like 300 sent xp and in general the normal bag rewards. How is maximum value of a full month ~150-225 DDO points for ONE character if they were able to choose how to spend it? Even some of the stronger rewards like the 12 hr xp/discovery pot is worse than 4x 3 hr pots; splitting into smaller chunks would be more player-friendly. Raiding, helping, etc is penalizing to the player if they have a 12hr 50% pot running. This item is imo the best choice by far and locks them to GOGOGO mode for 12 hours of playtime. 4x 3hrs > 1x 12 hrs. Be player friendly, it makes the game better.

C) I would like if you let us curate it more in the future. Some people love char slots. To others they are useless. You could have let us choose between extra bank space and characters for instance.

All in all, even as a VIP already, I wish this was not a thing.

Belenian

Please consider removing the need to be VIP to use claimed items or perks.

The rewards are small enough that I wouldn't consider subscribing for any of them ... but even as an "on top" when im subscribed, I have to

Pay 12 months of subscription
AND have to claim the rewards every month
AND not all of them apply to the whole account (1 item for 1 character out of the 4 bags)
AND Im not even able to use them when Im not subscribed?

Sorry, but that borders on insulting me as a customer. I have to consider resubscribing just to make my voice as a customer heard.

Blunt Hackett

Not much here draws me in. Now, if one of those things were a gold seal hireling from the old expansions or the panther hireling, i would have been sold even if it required 12 months.

Otherwise, I probably will do 3 months at some point. Everything after that just isn't a sale for me.

Thinking on this, although I am overall happy with something being introduced, trying to come up with different rewards for each month is going to be problematic. Especially, if you need to select an NPC on months where the reward is not something interesting (looking at bag on many things/ durability ward), as it has a feel bad/ chore factor to it. This also risks similar feedback on the updated rewards every year.

Many of the rewards could simply be built into the core VIP package whilst you remain a VIP (to encourage staying subscribed). For example:
- +10% Crafting xp whilst a VIP
- +'x' [meaningful number] extra bank slots/ shared bank slots whilst a VIP
- Cosmetic rack whilst VIP
- Extra Cosmetic effects whilst a VIP, can be added to over time
- Storage space for xp gems whilst VIP OR ability to start at Vet 1 level after TRing (whilst is what xp gems are used for)
- 10% durability ward whilst VIP (I actually this as a negative as there is nothing to spend plat on in the game after a certain point, so would like to see more plat sinks in game, but if included could easily be in base package)
- Ability to change out spells in public areas (although as some have pointed out, this nice QoL feature does blur the line between certain types of casters in a way that may not be beneficial to the game)
- Ability to teleport to areas in public spaces (not in adventures)
- Running speed boost in public spaces (not in adventures)
- Once every 6 or 12 month reward for continual subscription, e.g. mount or heart of wood selection.
- Reduced raid lock-out timer, or 1/ month bypass.
- Discount or reward item on purchase of adventure packs.

Essentially inventory boosts, and less repetitive tasks/ inventory management during TRs, plus some general quality of life bonuses; on top of the general VIP xp boost; so long as someone remains a VIP.

Lotoc

one thing some of us know is that after the bank overhaul the favor unlock for the extra two 40 bank slots from house K would carry over after reincarnation for a bit.
if one of the vip rewards perks was that the 40 bank slots and extra two inventory bags were automatically unlockable regardless of favor THAT would be a much wanted thing for anybody who reincarnates a bunch.

Tarinia

Thanks, that there is a VIP programm at all in the end -

I would agree that the bag of many things is worth nearly nothing - one day gold roll has a lot of more chance to get better results then that - delete it and give 500 more points, one more gold rolling every day or an item from an old raid (list) instead.
Also I assume that older players who only need reaper xps or doing endgame or are only raiding have nearly nothing on this list - all of the bag items can just be bought for very little points in the store anyway...
Thanks
Tarinia

Reactions: dur

Sylvado

The list seems fair to me but I do agree that the item wear reduction has no value. I remember when item wear was a factor when questing a long time ago but the only time I have been concerned about it in the past few years was when using a quarterstaff.

dur

aka Cybersquirt
So VIP for 17+ years counts for zip. The list is also underwhelming but better than nothing - which is what we had.

canicus

The list is also underwhelming but better than nothing - which is what we had.
I think this sums everything up well. I hope this program is more successful in adding subs than I think it will. If not, SSG please pivot quickly and add value to this. don't wait 1 year to make it more appealing. My 2 cents, the monthly rewards are OK at best, but if you need to sweeten the pot, add more "always available" QoL additions. There are hundreds of suggestions on the forums, pick a couple and add some real value. Maybe let VIPs craft unbound shards at the cost of bound, maybe that could create an interesting trade economy. I don't pretend to have the best ideas, but I don't think coming up with better monthly rewards is going to move the needle for many. Make VIP better at a base level and the loyalty bits can be nice things on top.

Phaaze

As some others have stated some of these are great, some are meh.

2 bits of feed back:

1. Can you make it so VIPs can check their mail as well access the plat auction house and bank from any public area? This would be a big QoL for me as a VIP.

2. Rather than have these items unlock on month by month basis based on time, do it like FFXIV where if I buy 1 year of VIP all in 1 go, I get all 12 months of stuff off the bat. If I am giving you all the money for VIP up front, I would like all my perks up front too.

Epicsoul

Here's what I'm baffled about. It seems like there's a recurring pattern where SSG misses opportunities to truly capitalize on what could be considered easy wins. You know, those situation where a company garner the goodwill of the customer for minimal effort/cost.

This VIP update is the latest example in this trend. Some of the 'bonuses' offered feel not just underwhelming, but almost offensive in terms of their perceived value. The last time I can remember SSG really surpassing my expectation was the free questing code back in 2020, alongside the decision to make a substantial amount of additional content free. It was a move that genuinely surprised and delighted players; it garnered goodwill from the players.

Ironically, that very wow factor led to the discussion of the VIP program's value. Instead of building on this positive momentum, it feels like SSG has opted for a more conservative and, frankly, stingy approach. As monthly subscribers, it shouldn't be this challenging for us to feel valued and appreciated. Meaningful gestures should be the cornerstone of maintaining a strong relationship with your player base.

Drakos

Frontload the mount and electric trail unlocks if someone buys a year of VIP from the store. That'd get me to toss down the money today rather than make me wait 6 and 12 months for them.
Ah, but when you do finally "toss down the money" then you still need to wait the 6 an 12 months, because the benefits start accruing month to month upon joining. This is why the rewards don't list the month name. So say you wait to sign up until August, then you get month 1 on the 1'st of September.

Ambitious

Life Shaper
I actually like it.
Yes, there are months that are not impressive (at all), but putting everything together, it has some nice things. All in all, it is leagues better than the initial concept.
It is true that the benefits are not as great as other games (say FF 14), but a subscription for a year is a lot cheaper in DDO than for other MMOs.
So I'll take it.

Ike

Less than 24 hours since announcing this change and there is already 10 pages of negative feedback from various different players across the board. Hopefully SSG will take the hint and use these next few weeks to make adjustments.
Either this or they become Bethesda and put it out anyways.

mikarddo

Less than 24 hours since announcing this change and there is already 10 pages of negative feedback from various different players across the board. Hopefully SSG will take the hint and use these next few weeks to make adjustments.

They knew in advance they would get this negative feedback. They just dont intent to give us anything better so they will accept it, ignore this thread fully and hope it blows over without too much damage.