Introducing our VIP Loyalty Reward Program!

rabidfox

The People's Champion
Yes I just made that point, the bonuses are really bad because the "rolling schedule" would otherwise create a massive cliff between early adopters and new subs a few years down the road.
Not really. Someone has more cosmetics and stuff one can get from the store if they've been at it for years. I assume most everything will be small bonuses or fluff that isn't relevant overall, just like the current offerings.

Aelonwy

As for what part of a club gamestyle wise you and I are in, you required a death smilie to help you get your faerie wings in hardcore, i dont tagalong with any guy smilies or any rimstrommers and I continuosly finish in the top 30 of hardcore.

Clearly you are jealous of the money i have invested in my golden toilet seat, life requires smart decisions in order to make the kind of money to buy golden toilet seats.

I have never been anything but forthright that Greysidious helped me get my fairywings. In the rare event anyone in-game asks about the wings, I explain about hardcore and mention Greysidious. I have never pretended the wings were a status symbol representing my skill. So kudos to you for your HC Permadeath skill but I am neither jealous of someone in VIP nor am I going to look-up to someone riding around on a cloud.

This conversation and the prevailing attitude actually makes any desire I might have briefly felt for this cosmetic completely dry up. If your ambition was to incite envy in other players you are having the opposite effect on me.

Shear-buckler

Start in May then. It would be your choice to fall behind by waiting. Complaining about that is looking to be aggrieved.

Not to mention you are falling behind in something that you think has no value so what is the complaint about?

What if you are on a break, are temporarily short of cash, missed the notice or just start playing the game after june? Forever behind. I don't see the benefit in such a system.

Yes, as I have pointed out a few times now the bonuses are indeed very bad month to month and a major factor for that is the rolling scheduel aspect of the system.

A far better system would be something like this.
Every month you sub you get an additional +1% VIP XP bonus (max +20 additonal)
Every 6 month you sub you get a +1% bonus to named loot drops (max +5%)
Every 12 months you sub you get +1 free chest reroll (max +2)
Every 10 months you sub your VIP DDO point bonus increases by 100 (max +300)
Every x month you access a new tier of cosmetics/mounts

If you unsub you lose access to your bonuses and freeze your progression.

That way VIP would get a ton of value, long term VIP would get even more bonuses and new players would reliably be able to catch up.

Shear-buckler

Not really. Someone has more cosmetics and stuff one can get from the store if they've been at it for years. I assume most everything will be small bonuses or fluff that isn't relevant overall, just like the current offerings.

That is exactly what I said, no? The current offering is useless, and it can't be improved in the current system without screwing over future subs.

The Narc

Other than cosmetics and what, a 1% loot increase, there's nothing to catch up too nor care about on that front. That's like saying you'll never catch the person who did HC season 1 because they got a cloak. Unless SSG puts something OP in the offerings, then it doesn't matter; the 1% loot boost is okay, but hardly relevant overall.
Yes it is true, but if they stack that 1% bonus for the next ten years it is as good as a discovery pot.

Ultimately it opens the door for them to put something in further down the line that would be really nice, such as at 18 months a stacking +20% xp bonus to reaper xp or at 30 months a stacking 10% energy absorption bonus in raids. All of these giving a distinct advantage to VIP players over FTP players and then watch a chunk of the power gaming FTP players subbing up to catch up on the power.

Ultimately the biggest mistake they made was to allow second life to open hard and third life to open elite, that was the greatest devaluer of VIP subscription, all those players would be subbed right now if they didnt already have the free elite opening on a third life.

J1NG

I can do things others can't...
One update: We will be doing away with the requirement that you remain VIP in order to summon/use the trail or mount, once you've acquired it, it's yours.
You might have just gained another VIP for that change alone...

Seriously though, sometimes you need a "stunt double" to perform stuff the main character can't do normally. So I'll need it on another account most likely.

J1NG

The Narc

I have never been anything but forthright that Greysidious helped me get my fairywings. In the rare event anyone in-game asks about the wings, I explain about hardcore and mention Greysidious. I have never pretended the wings were a status symbol representing my skill. So kudos to you for your HC Permadeath skill but I am neither jealous of someone in VIP nor am I going to look-up to someone riding around on a cloud.

This conversation and the prevailing attitude actually makes any desire I might have briefly felt for this cosmetic completely dry up. If your ambition was to incite envy in other players you are having the opposite effect on me.
Nah i was just clearing things up since you tried to claim elite club status had something to do with skill level, and then making sure we had the hierarchy cleared up nicely. See you argument would have worked if you were making it to an average joe player.

On point if you dont want to pay to be part of the club then dont.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
One update: We will be doing away with the requirement that you remain VIP in order to summon/use the trail or mount, once you've acquired it, it's yours.
That's a solid change. If you frontload them for buying a year at once, it'll get more fish to bite. People really love having a big shiny instant reward vs waiting. Or put some other big shiny on the 1 year VIP purchase option. Might not be the intentions of these changes, but could be a cool thing to consider.

edit: this would also remove the risk of people having delays if they miss a month of logging in.

Last edited:

Shear-buckler

Ultimately it opens the door for them to put something in further down the line that would be really nice, such as at 18 months a stacking +20% xp bonus to reaper xp or at 30 months a stacking 10% energy absorption bonus in raids. All of these giving a distinct advantage to VIP players over FTP players and then watch a chunk of the power gaming FTP players subbing up to catch up on the power.
They wouldn't be able to catch up on the power. When new subs reach the stacking absorb on month 30 the early adopters are enjoying the even stronger 40, 50 and 60 month bonuses.

Lazuli

Yes it is true, but if they stack that 1% bonus for the next ten years it is as good as a discovery pot.

Ultimately the biggest mistake they made was to allow second life to open hard and third life to open elite, that was the greatest devaluer of VIP subscription, all those players would be subbed right now if they didnt already have the free elite opening on a third life.
Or the game could have closed due to lack of players lol

Reactions: DBZ

CBDunk

Suggestions
  • Requiring monthly pickup makes sense for the Year of the Dragon 'gifts'. Much less so for VIP loyalty 'rewards'. If people paid for the subscription to be active, they should get the reward... even if they aren't able to log in that month. Maybe any 'missed month' options could remain as dialog options on the NPC to be picked up when the player next logs in.
  • For the various 'bags', more options are always better. DDO points, astral shards, mysterious remnants, raid runes, the new crafting tokens, et cetera... there are DOZENS of different 'currencies' in this game. If you put enough choices in, people will always be able to find something they want. The trick, as with the sentient XP, would of course be getting the balance of values right... so I'd suggest saying upfront that the options are subject to change with each new 'bag'. Then you can analyze the data each time and increase / decrease amounts and add / remove options as seems appropriate. DDO points in particular would be a good addition as that'd let people at least work towards something they DO want if none of the other options were interesting.
  • It doesn't make sense to me, but apparently many people go on and off VIP status... judging by the many complaints of VIP benefits being 'lost' when not VIP. That overall seems appropriate to me... VIP benefits are for people on a VIP subscription. However, just under half (i.e. 5 out of 12) of the monthly benefits are already 'permanent' even if you drop VIP status. Maybe make the cosmetics (i.e. cloud mount, lightning trails) permanent or possibly have a one time store purchase to 'keep VIP cosmetics active' while not VIP. Obviously not everything should be available... that's what a VIP subscription is for, but maybe one or two more 'permanent' options.