Forums Unavailable for a few hours today

Cordovan

Community Manager
The forums will be unavailable from around 12pm to 3pm Eastern today for maintenance work.

cdbd3rd

cfcf8abd561bfdbf6c03396f6c14e3aa.gif

rabidfox

The People's Champion
Someday I hope forum work will let me connect again without needing a VPN. Ever since the anti-spam work months ago, that's been my only choice via my home internet (works fine with my phone's internet).

Kimbere

This work has been completed. Mostly maintenance, but we might have made progress or perhaps even resolved the issue where forum profile avatars were sometimes not rendering correctly, which is great.
Going out on a limb here, but I'm going to say I don't think this did what you hoped it would do.
rW6APih.png

The broken image icons were better than these giant letters. If I refresh the page a couple times, the avatar icons usually load, but it did that before the maintenance.

MIvan

Uber Completionist
After this maintenance I got logged off, and unable to login again. Recaptcha is spinning forever.
Browser: firefox 125.0.3 (64 bit)
Did try in private mode too, no luck.
(I can login in chrome)

J1NG

I can do things others can't...
After this maintenance I got logged off, and unable to login again. Recaptcha is spinning forever.
Browser: firefox 125.0.3 (64 bit)
Did try in private mode too, no luck.
(I can login in chrome)
Unfortunately, I don't believe there is anything SSG can do about it, as it's the reCaptcha system by Google that has the issue crop up with Firefox.

We'll need to wait for Firefox or the reCaptcha system to get updated again to sort it out.

J1NG

J1NG

I can do things others can't...
Update, it appears that Googles reCaptcha service is now working again with Firefox.

J1NG

Cordovan

Community Manager
Going out on a limb here, but I'm going to say I don't think this did what you hoped it would do.
rW6APih.png

The broken image icons were better than these giant letters. If I refresh the page a couple times, the avatar icons usually load, but it did that before the maintenance.
Are other people seeing this? The forums are not displaying like this for me.

Phoenicis

Savage's Husband
Are other people seeing this? The forums are not displaying like this for me.
I am not, and I'm not seeing the placeholder graphics I used to see alot.

Occasionally the profile pic does take a bit to come up, but it does always come up.

edit to add: Edge

DYWYPI

The issue with the reCAPTCHA not loading for Mozilla Firefox yesterday was due to Google writing poor quality code in their last reCAPTCHA update, it was nothing to do with SSG.

See: reCAPTCHA is broken for [some|most|all] Windows users:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1894735#09
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1894735#c15

The script attempted to modify a DIV background colour using document.body.removeChild, but as the script was loaded in the HTML head, the DOM had not loaded yet and document.body was not available, causing the script error.

So Google has had to rollback a recent release of the script.

Last edited:

Kimbere

@Cordovan - It just happened again.
6cABUyq.png

I was paying more attention this time.

I had been browsing the forums for ~30 minutes without issue. Then I noticed I was starting to briefly see the three giant letters for a split second before the avatar icon/image loaded.

When I loaded the page in the screenshot, I guess it got stuck or timed out and didn't load all the images. After I Ctrl+F5'd a few times, the images loaded normally. I'm guessing that's what it defaults to if it can't load the avatar image files.

So it seems as if this happens when the webserver might be lagging a little bit? All other images on forums.ddo.com loaded normally when this happened. It was just the avatar images that didn't.

I use Firefox if that helps. I've had no problems on any other websites or forums. I've had no recent issues with my inet connection (I get alerts when it has high latency and/or packet loss). My PC hardware is no slouch.