100 kills = conquest

Elves United

On one hand conquest got a whole lot easier to get on many quests. On some longer quests like Slavers it gets a little silly as the monster kills easily top 400.
If the goal of making conquest provide more of an XP bonus thus encouraging players to not leave survivors then isn't this counter-productive? Once they hit 100 they can ignore the rest of the enemies. We've got the purple alert but generally when players zerg dungeons they are way stronger than the enemies so even the strongest dungeon alert was limited effect.

droid327

I dont think Conquest was ever enough of an incentive to make zergers stop and kill things before, so I dont think this changes anything in that regard

The goal for changing the Conquest limits was not, by itself, to get players to stop and kill stuff. It was merely to lay the groundwork for changing the distribution of XP bonuses, which I assume will come whenever they're satisfied that Conquest is more consistently plausible in every quest. That's what they're hoping will get players to stop zerging quite so much, by making killing more of a factor in XP/min.

minamber

My best guess is that it'll have no effect at all on zergers, because the solo ones will keep doing what's they're used to out of habit if nothing else (and because it'll probably still be better xp/min), while the ones in groups will simply dedicate one person to killing stuff while the rest zerg as hard as ever.

CherryBomb

no idea why the devs have to keep making decisions, but it seems to me that making conq some percentage of total available enemies would make more sense than a hard constant that doesn't respect the dungeon design.

I sortta lied about the no idea part. I suspect that the devs make decisions based on noise made some players that do not always represent the experiences of most/many other players. You know, the squeaky wheel effect.

droid327

no idea why the devs have to keep making decisions, but it seems to me that making conq some percentage of total available enemies would make more sense than a hard constant that doesn't respect the dungeon design.

I sortta lied about the no idea part. I suspect that the devs make decisions based on noise made some players that do not always represent the experiences of most/many other players. You know, the squeaky wheel effect.

That's exactly what the devs just changed conquest from...the reason it was a bad implementation is because there's often lots of enemies in side paths that you don't have to take and usually won't, meaning getting conquest often meant going way out of your way and spending inordinate amounts of time just to hunt down enough mobs. Reduced conquest makes it easier to achieve just from clearing the primary path, which is what the devs want players to do

PaleFox

I thought it was more about mob's pathing taking up to much resources and once a mob is activated it keeps blocking those resources.

Ofc, the devs did not take into account that killing a mob does not free those resources.

saekee

long live ROGUE
They were trying to keep me from locking up the server cuz I sneak by lots of mobs and keep the resources messed up.

Have fun with tossing an invisi here and there, run around a column, then watch all the LFMs dry up as people bemoan rubber banding.

Roguedom forever! I might allow a thread somewhere for people to beg the sneaky crowd to layoff server load, and perhaps we might be feeling generous. Or maybe not…Yeah coming for you, Frame Work…

Lordpiglet

Then you also have plenty of quests where you won't get any where near 100 kills and they haven't adjust those yet. Heroric R1 The Prisoner had 30 kills.

I personally hadn't run some of the Dread Isle quests before. First time running All Hail the King was like 90 ish on H R1 (solo), and that wasn't the only one that afaik I did everything I could and was just shy of 100 kills. I would have been better off skipping a bunch of encounters then dealing with every one to lose out on 10% by 10 mobs.

T.O.

I believe that is the intention. With conquest being capped at 100 kills. Killing 75% of the dungeon will grant conquest. I just ran Thornwrights on HE. I wanted to test this and I am running saga's on my lvl 32 alt also. There isn't 100 creatures in there on heroic. I killed cleared dungeon at 71 kills. Got conquest.

I have only ran a handful of quest's since the update. When I tr will be making a list of quests that aren't giving conquest that dungeons are cleared or should be at 75%. Will also be comparing it to my list of quests I have xp and rxp totals on.

T.O.

2 more Fey quest's Lost locket need to kill the water ele's behind the shrine to conquest at 57 kills. Icemount curse cleared the dungeon at 80 kills only onslaught. Had the same issue in Frosty Reception. Dungeon cleared every nook and cranny. Less than 100 only onslaught. I wouldn't normally do that. On these last two quest's normal play through should clear 75% of the dungeon. Again these are on HE.

On a side note Frosty reception's trap bonus will null when you get to the gingerbread golem in heroic. Even if you do one of it's traps. As only one counts and the rest don't count as disabled. Maybe SSG is gating XP since this a good xp quest at level 5.

cammy

If you ain't first, you're last
All in all, if this was meant to slow zergers down from red alerting quests, absolutely nothing has changed in our playstyle. If anything, it’s been a worse trade-off xp wise considering how many quests you can’t get conquest on.

House Elf

My roommate and I like to clear a majority of quests before we finish, we like that we've been getting conquest where it was usually impossible. I can see missions like Slavers being over the top on the kills side but it is nice that we can now get conquest on shorter missions. :)

T.O.

RL chain one HE was mostly all sub 100 for conquest. Not much off the beaten path exept mist's had to kill 2 or3 pack of wolves. That was 45 kill to conquest. Still not worth it since xp is low in this one. Fresh baked dreams 82 kills. Castle Ravenloft 67 just to hit onslaught. This will probably be impossible to hit if you know the fastest ways to complete no matter the cards. Didn't really go off the beaten path. Just went a way that wasn't as efficient.

Last edited:

Smokewolf

Would rather just trash "Conquest" mechanic altogether, and replace it with a bonus for not fully triggering Dungen Alert. For any reason should DA begin to trigger, you'd have 30 seconds to frag the offending mobs, before losing your bonus.

This would encourage the quest completion, as well as the surgical removal of mobs needed to achieve it. Groups would stratigicly-zerg to maintain that bonus, so long as the % given was signifigant to warrant the effort / time.

Beyond that, if the Dev's really wanted to promote secondary objectives, then it won't hurt to add named chests to areas other than the end fight. Not that it's a new concept, but carrots always work better than sticks.

-Smoke

Last edited:

Eoin

On a side note Frosty reception's trap bonus will null when you get to the gingerbread golem in heroic. Even if you do one of it's traps. As only one counts and the rest don't count as disabled. Maybe SSG is gating XP since this a good xp quest at level 5.

Happens in Just Business as well. Probably any quest were a mob drops extra traps, throws off the percentage of traps done or something.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
Would rather just trash "Conquest" mechanic altogether, and replace it with a bonus for not fully triggering Dungen Alert. For any reason should DA begin to trigger, you'd have 30 seconds to frag the offending mobs, before losing your bonus.
This would just mean never taking pugs into a group for risk that they hurt my XP. We don't need punative XP stuff like the old days where a person dying reduced everyone else's XP.