2nd best Elemental Augments for weapons?

C-Dog

So, most would proly agree the "best" elemental augment is generally "acid" - few things are immune/resistant to it, and only clay golems are healed by it. And normally I'd find/buy an acid augment, done.

But this is for Hard Core, so I don't have the same resources as "normally"... and I have 2 questions...

I was lucky enough to find a pair of metal blank Repeaters w/ augment slots (see below), and then I found an ML 4 Electric and a ML 4 Cold ruby (almost back to back!), and am debating which augment is "better" for each weapon.

Question #1: Which is "better" for general duty, Electric or Cold?

Question #2: Same, but adding that I have an "undead" weapon (until ML 10, then I'll use Barovian for all-purpose).

Cannith Crafted ML 4 weapons:
  1. Main: (ML 4 Cold Iron) 2d6 Force + 2d6 Bludgeon (+ augment)
  2. Undead: ML 4 (Flametouched) 2d6 Light + 2d6 Unnatural (+ augment)
I'm waffling which augment would be better in which weapon for now, and then which one of the two for ML 10+. Is there a clear "better" choice one way or the other, or kinda a coin toss?

LunaCee

Electric has general better application than cold in lower level content.
Pretty much every skeleton no-sells cold damage. But there is an interesting usage for cold damage for a ML8 weapon when you are running through the Sands of Menechtarun since all the desiccated zombies out there take bonus damage from cold. The fire elementals and mephits of course take bonus damage from cold too.

C-Dog

Electric has general better application than cold in lower level content.
Pretty much every skeleton no-sells cold damage.
Thx. I was remembering ~something~ like that, wasn't sure how wide-spread it was.

I'll run the Electric as anti-undead for now, and swap it over to the Barovian "all purpose" weapon first thing for Level 10. (I got a Jeweler's Kit on a daily roll, so I'm good there too!)

But there is an interesting usage for cold damage for a ML8 weapon when you are running through the Sands of Menechtarun since all the desiccated zombies out there take bonus damage from cold. The fire elementals and mephits of course take bonus damage from cold too.
Yeah, running Fire Caves w/ that Cold Augment made me smile.

It’s pretty hard to get the Ruby of the Snowpeaks on Hardcore.
Ikr?

But it's not completely off-topic, so even if it doesn't address my specific question it adds to the conversation. S'all good afaic.

PaleFox

Yes, Saltmarsh offers level 3 weapons that are better.
I can't find an example of them on the wiki. :(

Heroic (ML3) Enchantments
Chilling 2, Monstrous Humanoid Bane 2, Weakening 1, Flametouched Iron , Red Augment Slot: Empty
The weakening 1 is especially good.
And it won't hurt you that bad on HC if you slot a ml:4 augment into it.
I'd say slot Acid.

Last edited:

Zuldar

Electric is especially good against stone guard champs which can be more challenging on hardcore.

C-Dog

Yes, Saltmarsh offers level 3 weapons that are better.
Hate to pull "math" on you, but 2d6 + bane damage vs. a specific monster type is not better than 2d6 + 2d6 (unless you are fighting that specific type, i.e. Sahuagin and a few uncommon others ).

As for the "weakening", if you're not killing a standard mob in ~3 blows, your weapon is not up to par. Mine does. <shrug>
Electric is especially good against stone guard champs which can be more challenging on hardcore.
Was not aware of that specific vulnerability, thx! (Stone Guard can be one of the most dangerous of the Champs imo, depending what mob gets that champ status.)
o https://ddowiki.com/page/Monster_Champion#Buffs

PaleFox

Yeah, it should offer at least a second augment slot and have vorpal to be able to called competitive to 8d6 from Cannith Crafting.
Still, the barter weapons are way more easy to acquire. Esp on HC.

A couple of rounds in the wilderness should net you a very good weapon to do all the quests located in that wilderness area.

C-Dog

By blind luck, I actually got a Feywild Heavy repeater - no competition in Feywild with the CC'd Force/Bludgeon w/ Cold augment, about half the damage. Sad.