Account-based DDO (DDO focused on the player)

Chacka

I think it's time to mention again that I believe SSG should adopt a general rule in which DDO (Dungeons & Dragons Online) is designed with a focus on the player. This means that elements such as mounts, cosmetics, companions, all items, and power progression based on playtime (such as current character past lives and Reaper experience) should always be accessible to the player everywhere on his account.

Another aspect to consider is the account-based nature of astral shards. Currently, astral shards are server-based, which can be frustrating, especially on the hardcore server, as players have to dispose of their astral shards after a season ends or losing them.

In any case, my point is that the DDO developers should strive to make everything account-based whenever possible. They should only deviate from this general rule if there is a compelling reason to do so.
A very good example is the account-based Underdark Warrio's Panther mount, but this should not be the exception, this should be the general rule!

Of course, I also suggest this for "selfish" reasons because I personally desire an account-based DDO experience where I have constant access to my items and progress, regardless of which character I play. However, I believe that transitioning to an account-based system would ultimately benefit SSG as well. A DDO that prioritizes player satisfaction and offers more value is likely to encourage players to invest more in the game financially.

Therefore, I see a shift towards an account-based DDO as a win-win situation for both players and SSG.

Eltronin

Kobolds don't matter
I think it's time to mention again that I believe SSG should adopt a general rule in which DDO (Dungeons & Dragons Online) is designed with a focus on the player. This means that elements such as mounts, cosmetics, companions, all items, and power progression based on playtime (such as current character past lives and Reaper experience) should always be accessible to the player everywhere on his account.
The game is focused on the player. Having access to all items across all the servers is a bad idea. Just because I farm items on one server, shouldn't all me to use them on another server. If you want items on another server, make a character and start adventuring.

Another aspect to consider is the account-based nature of astral shards. Currently, astral shards are server-based, which can be frustrating, especially on the hardcore server, as players have to dispose of their astral shards after a season ends or losing them.
Astral shards should not be available account wide. If you play on one server, farm items, sell them on the Auction house for shards, those shards should remain on that server.

Of course, I also suggest this for "selfish" reasons because I personally desire an account-based DDO experience where I have constant access to my items and progress, regardless of which character I play. However, I believe that transitioning to an account-based system would ultimately benefit SSG as well. A DDO that prioritizes player satisfaction and offers more value is likely to encourage players to invest more in the game financially.

Therefore, I see a shift towards an account-based DDO as a win-win situation for both players and SSG.
And there it is on another one of your "Suggestions" for selfish reasons. Your suggestions are for selfish reasons and not for the improvement of the community. You say transitioning to account based would benefit SSG but, give no examples. Currently, having items server based, players spend more money if they run multiple servers so no need for SSG to go account based.

Sarlona Raiding

I don't think the right answer is to make everything account-based. I don't think the right answer is to spend resources reworking old systems to support account-based mechanisms.

I do think they should consider making some achievement that they add account-based from the start as a change of pace.

The Blonde

Catalogues Bugs
Not sure about the accross-all-servers part, but definitely /signed in regards to all toons on 1 server sharing Past Lives, rXP, BtA items, and the like.

Estelrandir

Not signed. There are too many games that focus on doing account wide stuff, it makes starting over / starting fresh difficult. Character-level progression is best.

Titus Ovid

Mover and Shaker

In any case, my point is that the DDO developers should strive to make everything account-based whenever possible. They should only deviate from this general rule if there is a compelling reason to do so.
A very good example is the account-based Underdark Warrio's Panther mount, but this should not be the exception, this should be the general rule!

I am with you half of the way.
Everything that can be bought with in the game-wide should be account-wide. To limit AS to one server feels almost criminal, same with Experience potions etc. I bought these goodies for the game, so give me access to them game-wide and don't isolate them to one specific server. Classes, Races and Enhacement trees are server-wide when bought in the shop.
But I am aware that the economic system would change tremendously. I am not sure if it would be bad or good though.

Everything that you need to farm ingame, xp, lives, items, should be Character/Server bound.
I am especially against shared PLs and I got 4+ characters that I play fairly regularly. It would distort my characters. They all have an individual story and feeling and I don't want to lose that. It is one of the most important things for me in this game.
If you throw everything together it just becomes a grey mush and the characters are only distinguishable by walking style.

I don't mind suggestions that come from a personal need. How else should we know what is missing for one but not the other.

Cheers,
Titus

Chacka

The game is focused on the player. Having access to all items across all the servers is a bad idea. Just because I farm items on one server, shouldn't all me to use them on another server. If you want items on another server, make a character and start adventuring.

Astral shards should not be available account wide. If you play on one server, farm items, sell them on the Auction house for shards, those shards should remain on that server.

And there it is on another one of your "Suggestions" for selfish reasons. Your suggestions are for selfish reasons and not for the improvement of the community. You say transitioning to account based would benefit SSG but, give no examples. Currently, having items server based, players spend more money if they run multiple servers so no need for SSG to go account based.
Just to mention it at the start, as usual, I don't expect everyone to agree with my ideas because I know that I'm a person who thinks differently. Of course, I like to see myself as a "trailblazer" or "out of the box thinker" who comes up with ideas first, but others might consider my ideas stupid or crazy.

Let me reiterate: it should be the general rule to consider account-wide features, but not everything has to be account-wide. If there are compelling reasons to make something server-based, then it should be. Similarly, if there are compelling reasons to make something character-based, then it should be. However, if there are no such compelling reasons, it should be made account-wide.

My impression is that currently, it's the opposite, and this is generally not in the interest of the players or SSG. SSG's "lifeblood" consists of loyal and satisfied customers, unless there's a super-rich person financing DDO and we're unaware of it, and all other players are merely "decorative accessories."

I can even imagine that items are account-wide and available on all servers, but if you decide that the items should be available only on one server or one character, then of course, you should do that. However, again, only if there are compelling reasons to do so.

This would be a step toward a DDO "mega server" where at least the economy is shared among the servers. Every economist knows, regardless of their political stance, that a bigger market is always better for buyers, sellers, and in the case of DDO, for the "host" of that economy (SSG), if they take a fee from the sales.

Regarding astral shards, I see no reason for them to be bound to a server. They are even purchased in the DDO shop under the "Account" section, but end up being tied to a specific server. You mention that you don't want them to remain on one server because you earned them there. May I remind you that the main source for astral shards is the DDO shop? You haven't provided a reason for this, which is always troubling for me. I form an opinion only when I have a reason for it, and if I have a reason, I can explain it.

It's laughable when someone calls me "selfish" for making a suggestion. Of course, I make a suggestion because I believe it's good for me. What else would you expect? :ROFLMAO:
However, I strongly believe that if something is good for me, it is also good for others. Selfishness would imply that I do something knowing it's only good for me and bad for others, or even everyone else. I can assure you that my general rule for myself is to make suggestions only when I believe they are a win for both me and others because I strongly believe that, in the long run, this is also better for myself (and not solely for moral reasons, as Immanuel Kant might argue).

Furthermore, I think it would also benefit SSG in the end. An account-based DDO would provide more value for the players, leading to the fact that a player who gets more from a game is likely to spend more on it. Not to mention, only a tiny minority likely runs DDO on multiple servers, even though it would be beneficial for DDO in general.

In my opinion, it should also be possible to move characters among servers for a very low price or even for free. While this may not provide the same benefits as a true "mega server," it would have many positive aspects of such a server.

Eltronin

Kobolds don't matter
It's laughable when someone calls me "selfish" for making a suggestion.
Of course, I also suggest this for "selfish" reasons
I find it laughable you call yourself selfish and when someone agrees with you, you call it laughable. You are selfish in your own words. Maybe go read your posts where you call yourself selfish just to jog your memory.

Chacka

Not signed. There are too many games that focus on doing account wide stuff, it makes starting over / starting fresh difficult. Character-level progression is best.
To be honest, I don't really care about other games in relation to that matter. However, if you're correct, there might be a reason why most other games follow that approach. I assume the developers of those "many games" are aware that most players/customers desire it, and they believe it enhances their position in the gaming market.

Moreover, if you believe that starting fresh is always the best option, there is no contradiction. You are always welcome to create a new account, and I assume even SSG (the game developer) would support that idea.

Chacka

I find it laughable you call yourself selfish and when someone agrees with you, you call it laughable. You are selfish in your own words. Maybe go read your posts where you call yourself selfish just to jog your memory.
Yes, irony is not always easy to identify. :geek:
(to make it also for you easier to understand I said "selfish" in quotation marks)

Silverfox

Just to mention it at the start, as usual, I don't expect everyone to agree with my ideas because I know that I'm a person who thinks differently. Of course, I like to see myself as a "trailblazer" or "out of the box thinker" who comes up with ideas first, but others might consider my ideas stupid or crazy.

Let me reiterate: it should be the general rule to consider account-wide features, but not everything has to be account-wide. If there are compelling reasons to make something server-based, then it should be. Similarly, if there are compelling reasons to make something character-based, then it should be. However, if there are no such compelling reasons, it should be made account-wide.

My impression is that currently, it's the opposite, and this is generally not in the interest of the players or SSG. SSG's "lifeblood" consists of loyal and satisfied customers, unless there's a super-rich person financing DDO and we're unaware of it, and all other players are merely "decorative accessories."

I can even imagine that items are account-wide and available on all servers, but if you decide that the items should be available only on one server or one character, then of course, you should do that. However, again, only if there are compelling reasons to do so.

This would be a step toward a DDO "mega server" where at least the economy is shared among the servers. Every economist knows, regardless of their political stance, that a bigger market is always better for buyers, sellers, and in the case of DDO, for the "host" of that economy (SSG), if they take a fee from the sales.

Regarding astral shards, I see no reason for them to be bound to a server. They are even purchased in the DDO shop under the "Account" section, but end up being tied to a specific server. You mention that you don't want them to remain on one server because you earned them there. May I remind you that the main source for astral shards is the DDO shop? You haven't provided a reason for this, which is always troubling for me. I form an opinion only when I have a reason for it, and if I have a reason, I can explain it.

It's laughable when someone calls me "selfish" for making a suggestion. Of course, I make a suggestion because I believe it's good for me. What else would you expect? :ROFLMAO:
However, I strongly believe that if something is good for me, it is also good for others. Selfishness would imply that I do something knowing it's only good for me and bad for others, or even everyone else. I can assure you that my general rule for myself is to make suggestions only when I believe they are a win for both me and others because I strongly believe that, in the long run, this is also better for myself (and not solely for moral reasons, as Immanuel Kant might argue).

Furthermore, I think it would also benefit SSG in the end. An account-based DDO would provide more value for the players, leading to the fact that a player who gets more from a game is likely to spend more on it. Not to mention, only a tiny minority likely runs DDO on multiple servers, even though it would be beneficial for DDO in general.

In my opinion, it should also be possible to move characters among servers for a very low price or even for free. While this may not provide the same benefits as a true "mega server," it would have many positive aspects of such a server.

Doubtful you came up with this idea first. You are however the same guy from the old forum bringing up the same idea again and again and again like it is a new idea and like the result will somehow change because we are using a new forum.

Perhaps sharing the links to your old forum posts to the same idea would be a good way for you to show just how well ' your idea ' was received then and how well it is being received now.

I think posting a forum poll with ' your ideas ' might be a good way to show just how much or how little support there is for ' your ideas '

What I find laughable is that thinking the forum members will have somehow changed their minds or forgotten that ' your idea ' was not supported on the old forums and it will probably not be supported on the new forums.

Here are some examples of previous posts on sharing past lives.

Last edited:

Chacka

Doubtful you came up with this idea first. You are however the same guy from the old forum bringing up the same idea again and again and again like it is a new idea and like the result will somehow change because we are using a new forum.

Perhaps sharing the links to your old forum posts to the same idea would be a good way for you to show just how well ' your idea ' was received then and how well it is being received now.

I think posting a forum poll with ' your ideas ' might be a good way to show just how much or how little support there is for ' your ideas '

What I find laughable is that thinking the forum members will have somehow changed their minds or forgotten that ' your idea ' was not supported on the old forums and it will probably not be supported on the new forums.
The point is not that I think I'm the very first person to have a specific idea, but I can assure you that I came up with that idea on my own, and that is what matters in my opinion. :cool:

According to some philosophical and scientific opinions, there is a possibility of a "multiverse" with billions of worlds like ours. How can I know if I'm the "first" to come up with any idea when we don't even really understand what time is?

Furthermore, every idea is built upon other ideas, so it is highly questionable what the personal "contribution" of someone with a "new idea" actually is.

It should not matter much to me how much support I receive, but I can tell you that many things I suggested are actually a reality in DDO today. Even if no developer ever admitted that any changes were based on my ideas, it is enough for me that a change I suggested was implemented.

Just as an example, the old Reaper experience system was changed in a way that closely resembled something I suggested earlier. Many players said my idea was stupid and "selfish," claiming that I only wanted DDO to be "easier" for myself.

A smaller example is the suppression of mounts in taverns. Once again, players told me it was a bad idea and too difficult to implement. However, shortly after I suggested it, Lynnabel actually made it a reality. Of course, it is possible that Lynnabel had the idea without my "help" as well.

I have, by the way, many more ideas for DDO, but I'm not paid for it, so I also see no reason to work them out for SSG, and I just post something if I feel like it.

Furthermore, I was even banned from the old forum because I told SSG that they are doing wrong regarding the question of whether level 20 is epic or level 21 is the first epic level in D&D.

Regarding that question, you could read the 4th page in this official player handbook to see that my "idea" of this is not at all absurd, and it is still SSG and the developers who are doing wrong here.

And also here, most players told me I'm "stupid" because I have that opinion, but even if SSG bans me and most players tell me on the forum, I'm still sure I'm 100% right in that question!!! (By the way, on the normal servers, the lockout rule for level 20 characters from nominal level 19 and below quests was silently removed. It's possible SSG developers now see that I'm right, and they are just too vain to admit it, or it is just an "unintended new feature.")

Currently, I hope they also remove that rule from the hardcore server. Notice that this rule was also never officially announced and is wrong and bad for players. And also here, many "forumites" tell me that I'm wrong, but I DON'T CARE! :ROFLMAO: (because I know as much as it is possible for me that I'm right!)

Last edited:

Dandonk

This is not the title you're looking for
I think reaper would have been a good place to start with account (or at least server) based progression. But I don't think changing to that now is really possible, or even a good idea at this point.

I do hope that SSG will consider making the next big grind server based rather than character based. We have more than enough of that as it is, would be nice with something that would encourage alts again.

Chacka

I think reaper would have been a good place to start with account (or at least server) based progression. But I don't think changing to that now is really possible, or even a good idea at this point.

I do hope that SSG will consider making the next big grind server based rather than character based. We have more than enough of that as it is, would be nice with something that would encourage alts again.
It is never too late. Since this is software, everything that is possible in a new game is also possible in an existing game.

Every year, we witness the release of completely new games with a complexity level similar to that of DDO after 18 years.

However, my suggestion is aimed at encouraging the developers to adopt a paradigm shift. I propose that any future implementations should be account-based, or at the very least, server-based, which would be the second best solution.

Perhaps I should employ reverse psychology and express my opposition to an account-based DDO in order to encourage the developers to actually implement it?

Alternatively, maybe I genuinely oppose an account-based DDO and I am already using reverse psychology? Who knows? :unsure:

Chacka

I am with you half of the way.
Everything that can be bought with in the game-wide should be account-wide. To limit AS to one server feels almost criminal, same with Experience potions etc. I bought these goodies for the game, so give me access to them game-wide and don't isolate them to one specific server. Classes, Races and Enhacement trees are server-wide when bought in the shop.
But I am aware that the economic system would change tremendously. I am not sure if it would be bad or good though.

Everything that you need to farm ingame, xp, lives, items, should be Character/Server bound.
I am especially against shared PLs and I got 4+ characters that I play fairly regularly. It would distort my characters. They all have an individual story and feeling and I don't want to lose that. It is one of the most important things for me in this game.
If you throw everything together it just becomes a grey mush and the characters are only distinguishable by walking style.

I don't mind suggestions that come from a personal need. How else should we know what is missing for one but not the other.

Cheers,
Titus
I wouldn't go so far as to say that making AS (Astral Shard) server-based is "criminal," but I do find it highly questionable and unfair. Especially when you consider that the DDO (Dungeons & Dragons Online) shop initially leads you to believe that you are purchasing items for your account, only to later discover, either on your own or from another source, that they are actually tied to a specific server.

As for the question of whether everything you "farmed" on a server (such as items) should remain on that server, I don't see a compelling reason for it. It's worth noting that currently, if you spend DDO points, you can already transfer almost everything from one server to another.

Therefore, the practical question isn't whether it should be possible, because it is already possible. Instead, the question is how it should be implemented and whether players should be required to pay DDO points for such transfers.

You mentioned, "Everything that you need to farm in-game, XP, lives, items, should be Character/Server bound," but where is the compelling reason for this, other than it being the way things have been done traditionally?

Regarding account-based progression, I acknowledge that you may have a different opinion. However, amusingly, I have yet to hear any compelling reason from the opposing side as to why progression (such as past lives and Reaper experience) must be tied to individual characters. On the other hand, I can think of several reasons why it would be beneficial for progression to be based on your account, allowing achievements to be accessible across all your characters.

You mentioned, "They all have an individual story and feeling, and I don't want to lose that." With account-based progression, I believe my characters still have their own story, and I see no contradiction in that approach.

Titus Ovid

Mover and Shaker
I level all my characters differently (race, PLs) and I gear them differently even when I would play the same class I would build them differently.
But when every character has the same PLs, the same equipment all that is left is diff enhancements maybe. If you can't comprehend that, I can't help it but it is still a reason why I say no to your proposal.

Cheers,
Titus.

Chacka

I level all my characters differently (race, PLs) and I gear them differently even when I would play the same class I would build them differently.
But when every character has the same PLs, the same equipment all that is left is diff enhancements maybe. If you can't comprehend that, I can't help it but it is still a reason why I say no to your proposal.

Cheers,
Titus.
I always wonder what people who oppose the idea of account-based progression would think if Turbine had introduced it from the start instead of character-based past lives. The notion of character-based progression is just a product of a developer's idea, meant to motivate players to continue playing DDO. It's not something inherently absolute.

It wouldn't surprise me if the same individuals who currently defend character-based progression would also defend account-based progression if it had been introduced initially and someone like me suggested a change to character-based progression.

Furthermore, with account-based progression, the main difference between your characters would likely remain intact since they would have different builds and items.

Regardless, I firmly believe that account-based progression should at least be an option for people like me who appreciate the idea. If you don't like it, you can still play DDO with character-based progression, and I have no problem with that. Do you have a problem with me wanting to play MY characters with account-based progression? If so, I believe you are objectively mistaken!