An expansion giveaway does not equal a discovery elixir

Putti

I agree that the potion is a very weak reward - it's like on a weekly coupon level, not an anniversary reward. But asking for an Otto's/Wish is a lot and giving everyone a curse cleanser would negatively impact the economy (what little there is).

Figuring out the right gift is difficult. It has to be something that a long-time customer might want and not already have, but it also can't be something exclusive that will punish those who haven't purchased all the expansions yet.
I think a discount coupon Vecna or Myth Drannor would be a great alternative, but it might be too costly for them.

I do think that SSG has a habit of taking their most loyal customers for granted because they're so focused on luring/retaining new players.
It's great that they're giving lots of free stuff away to new players, the game needs all the newbies it can get, but neglecting the veterans could be dangerous. They're the backbone of the game. They might have stuck through a lot of rough times, but at some point even they will have had enough.

Last edited:

Genkiba

It's a 60min pot of why bother.

I'm interested in the expansions for my alt accounts, don't care if I get the pot or not on my main, who owns everything except last expansion.

The pot will probability rot in the TR cache anyway.
Or you could simply use it or toss it.

But sure...hang on to it and stay salty.

cursedblessedone

Trigger Me Elmo
So far this month's give away been more like a Black Friday's Door Buster Prizes and only a Handful of Lucky Duckies got an Xpack to play with.

Pello

Most who have all expansions also have an alt account or two that can benefit from a free expansion.

Scrag

Or you could simply use it or toss it.

But sure...hang on to it and stay salty.
Look at it this way. For a portion of the player base, $30 free stuff. For the rest, something of little use that may never be used at all. $30 is a lot of money to get for free. For the people that get to take advantage, that is _immense_ good will. There is reason for the rest of us to be salty.

cursedblessedone

Trigger Me Elmo
shake-salt-from-your-diet.jpg

Jummby

Look at it this way. For a portion of the player base, $30 free stuff. For the rest, something of little use that may never be used at all. $30 is a lot of money to get for free. For the people that get to take advantage, that is _immense_ good will. There is reason for the rest of us to be salty.
Anyone remember stores like Gamestop back over 20 years ago? We would buy the latest video game cartridge/disk. After you either completed the game or just didn't like it, those stores would buy it back from us for pennies on the dollar, to resell it in after market. Over time, there would be a bargin bin for less than 5 dollars.

It's hard to put valuations on packs that are older. For all we k know all those free pack choices will be included soon in the next get old packs for 99 DDO offer.

TavernBrawler

Hopefully it'll bring in new people, and that would be great.

Nope I do not want any new players (at least in my server). The lag is horrible and horrendous with high reaper raiding impossible these days. In fact I would be happy if the population drops by around 80% in my server. There is great difference when there are 50 people vs 300 people. Thank you.

• Haha
Reactions: DBZ

Dandonk

This is not the title you're looking for
Nope I do not want any new players (at least in my server). The lag is horrible and horrendous with high reaper raiding impossible these days. In fact I would be happy if the population drops by around 80% in my server. There is great difference when there are 50 people vs 300 people. Thank you.
I understand your frustration with the lag, but I really hope the solution to it isn't to make 80% of the players leave - that wouldn't bode well for the game in the future.

Kimbere

It's hard to put valuations on packs that are older. For all we k know all those free pack choices will be included soon in the next get old packs for 99 DDO offer.
Nope. It's not hard at all. SSG has already put valuations on those packs for you.

Straight from the store as I type this:
FS1onHi.png

Straight from DDO.com/expansions :
ou9voHo.png

Best case scenario, IoD is worth ~$24 assuming you bought points via the $199.99 pack during a double bonus points sale. Worst case scenario, IoD is ~$45 if you bought lower tier points pack during non-double bonus sale.

So basically, SSG is giving players who don't always financially support them something worth $24-$40 for free. That's pretty sweet.

To the players who have always financially supported them by buying all the expacs (and some of them likely bought all the Collectors Edition versions), they're giving a 1-hour consumable that *might* net them a few extra named items that they could get just by playing the game anyway.

Bear in mind however, the potion is only a 10% increase to the chances of getting named loot. So in theory, with bad RNG/luck, that 1-hour potion might get you exactly zero extra items. The potion is not so sweet.

What SSG chooses to do with the valuation of the packs in the future isn't really relevant when comparing values of the different reward options. All that matter is, what are the values of each right now? Sadly, they don't compare well.

Last edited:

Jack Jarvis Esquire

I reckon many folks are perhaps looking at this through a different prism from SSG. Consider that there was ZERO compensation offered for FREEQUESTS, and that initiative was widely praised on each occasion. From their perspective offering something by way of compensation, however small, would be viewed as a relative positive. I can see that point of view.

Personally I don't care too much. I'll wait for the next treasure hunter weekend, pop my pot and cross my fingers, and wish those who can take advantage of the free expansion all the best. 👍

Uska

Founder
Actually the way you worded it it does you should have said a elixr doesn’t equal an expansion

Frieling Slyhand

I am not going to bust a fuse over this--it IS something. But it isn't even close to comparable value. And here is the main rub: does SSG want to condition players to buy all expansions as soon as offered for cash? Or do they want to condition players to wait and get them for points or free? Reward your whales for being whales if you want to keep them.