Blightcaster leveling gear

TeamScorpioRI

Hey everyone.

While the end game gear is easy enough to figure out for a Blightcaster, what would you use for leveling? Normally I play melee and have standard gear sets for levels 3-5-7-10-15, with the level 15 sharn gear holing me through 29. The blightcaster, with its focus on physical damage, seems to not really have any ideal sets during leveling. The best I see is the beacon of magic set from Ravenloft at 10, with some random gear thrown in.

So what does everyone use for leveling?

FYI: Doing this on Hardcore, so crafting is not an option.

Xgya

On any caster without the benefit of being able to use either of the mana-refueling orbs from Sharn, I keep the second (Macabre) scepter from Ravenloft equipped.

As for item sets, look for Flamecleansed.
You might not have as much positive healing as other Druids, but you still need to have some, plus, the bracers are good for just about anyone given how few bracers we have at those levels (insightful Sheltering as a single stat to both MRR and PRR. Gimme!)

For actual force lore, you have to find aRod of Mythant

I'd suggest the 100% drop Sage's Cuffs but your bracer slot is already taken :)
Still, even though it only has one stat, it gives as much lore, as a level 15 item, as a level 23 crafted one.
Just get yourself an impulse augment for your favorite weapon and go to town.

DeathTitan

It's a work in progress because I'm still learning blightcasters, but in the meantime this is what I would probably use on hardcore server to limit at minimum the equipment farming process.

Equipment:
- Armor: vitality

- Belt: rugged belt with false life +5 (the storehouse’s secret end reward)
- Belt ml 7: deathblock
- Belt ml 15: guardian's girdle with false life +40 (a lesson in deception end reward)
- Belt ml 21: belt of blind devotion with insightful wisdom +4, quality wisdom +2, physical sheltering +25, false life +38 (blue slot: ???) (violent delights end chest)

- Boots ML 1: anger’s step with jump +3, expeditious retreat clickies x2 (sacrifices end reward)
- Boots ML 7: boots of the mire with balance +10, underwater action, marshwalker set that gives +30% striding and +15 competence bonus to jump (fathom the depths end reward)
- Boots ml 20: epic boots of the mire with quality constitution +2, sheltering +24, balance +17 (yellow slot: ???)

- Bracers ml 7: bracers of the claw with constitution +5, fortification +70% (into the deep end reward)
- Bracers ml 15: sage's cuffs with kinetic lore +18% (army of shadow end reward)
- Bracers ml 20: epic bracers of the claw with insightful constitution +4, fortification +111%, parrying +4, false life +36 (green slot: ???) (colorless slot: ???)

- Cloak: willful (wisdom + will saves) or prudent (wisdom)

- Gloves: of spell lore

- Goggles: of evocation (insightful evocation focus)

- Helm: of spell focus (spell focus mastery)

- Neclace ml 7: necklace of venom with false life +17, proof against poison +6 (the claw of vulkoor end reward)
- Necklace ml 15: of physical and magical resistance

- Ring left: of feather falling
- Ring left ml 7: ring of the mire with spearblock III, feather falling, fortitude save +5, marshwalker set that gives +30% striding and +15 competence bonus to jump (into the deep end reward)
- Ring left ml 21: ring of wicked insanity with intelligence +10, spell save +8, profane well rounded +1, profane lifeforce +33 (yellow slot: topaz of illusion +1 got with 6x ancient dragon/elven/giant relics) (the bugbear bandits end chest, but any profane well rounded +1 ring is fine)

- Ring right: dire impulsive (kinetic lore)
- Ring right ml 15: hardy (constitution)

- Trinket ml 5: bottle of shadows with profane well rounded +1 (green slot: ???) (the home of memory end chest)
- Trinket ml 20: epic voice of the master (green slot: topaz of transmutation +1 got with 6x ancient dragon/elven/giant relics) (blue slot: sapphire of resistance +8 got with 6x restored dragon/elven/giant relics) (yellow slot: topaz of evocation +1 got with 6x ancient dragon/elven/giant relics)

- Weapon primary ml 2: sceptre of devotion with devotion +43, healing lore +6% (borderlands)
- Weapon primary ml 7: the queen’s sceptre with potency +33, insightful potency +16, spellsight +7, insightful spellsight +3 (turn in 20 ferrocrystal obtained by farming the djinni rare outside the castle, 10 from chain end reward)
- Weapon primary ml 10: barovian’s sceptre with potency +46, insightful potency +23, spellsight +12, insightful spellsight +6
- Weapon primary ml 20: epic sceptre of glaciation with ice lore +16%, glaciation +111, insightful glaciation +55 (red slot: ruby of magnetism +111 got with 6x restored dragon/elven/giant relics)
- Weapon ml 31: dinosaur bone quarterstaff with enhancement bonus to universal spell power +102, exceptional spell focus +2 (iridiscent scale), spell focus mastery +5, exceptional bonus to universal spell critical chance +5% (iridiscent fang), exceptional wisdom +2 (iceclaw), offensive spells have a chance to grant you 1,000 temporary hit points (brighthorn) (purple slot: ???) (orange slot: ???)

- Weapon secondary ml 2: sceptre of impulse with impulse +43, kinetic lore +6% (borderlands)
- Weapon secondary: impulsive
- Weapon secondary ml 20: epic sceptre of impulse with ice lore +16%, impulse +111, insightful glaciation +55 (red slot: ruby of devotion +111 got with 1000 mysterious remnants)

Last edited:

BlastShadow

Hey everyone.

While the end game gear is easy enough to figure out for a Blightcaster, what would you use for leveling? Normally I play melee and have standard gear sets for levels 3-5-7-10-15, with the level 15 sharn gear holing me through 29. The blightcaster, with its focus on physical damage, seems to not really have any ideal sets during leveling. The best I see is the beacon of magic set from Ravenloft at 10, with some random gear thrown in.

Howdy!
I am doing a Blightcaster/Hive toon for an Aasimar past life, but I kinda like it and want to keep it at cap for a while to farm out a decent gear set. I'm struggling with the gear tetris since I have acid, cold (tsunami), force, and negative/poison spells doing a lot of heavy lifting for me. I mostly solo, completionist, but only a few pieces of mostly irrelevant raid gear (I don't raid except for Hound for threads). Could I trouble you to post your cap gear? Any suggestions?
Thanks!

DeathTitan

Howdy!
I am doing a Blightcaster/Hive toon for an Aasimar past life, but I kinda like it and want to keep it at cap for a while to farm out a decent gear set. I'm struggling with the gear tetris since I have acid, cold (tsunami), force, and negative/poison spells doing a lot of heavy lifting for me. I mostly solo, completionist, but only a few pieces of mostly irrelevant raid gear (I don't raid except for Hound for threads). Could I trouble you to post your cap gear? Any suggestions?
Thanks!

for me a good end game set for blightcaster should give artifact bonus to wisdom and DC +3 and at least artifact spell power/spell critical chance in acid or force.

I would go with Legendary Feywild Dreamer set (armor, cloak, gloves) but it has artifact charisma +3.

And the tetris begins with the Legendary Temple's Inferno set (goggles + ring).

legendary black satin waist with quality wisdom +3, quality spell focus mastery +2.

legendary sunken slippers with quality intelligence +3, insightful potency +49, quality potency +24, lesser displacement.

+3 artifact wisdom from 3 augments.

legendary elder's knowledge set from 2 pieces among helm, trinket, necklace.

With the remaining pieces you pick a dinosaur bone artifact, maybe a dino bone helm for spell critical damage.

I saw nice acid damage bonus from earthquake, splinter bolt and thorn strike coming from blightcaster enhancement tree, I would still build it around evocation to make burst of glacial wrath as good as possible and with scion of earth feat for the acid spell critical damage.

TeamScorpioRI

How come gear is all force? No acid no negs?
Blightcaster's thorn spells are physical and make up the bulk of the DPS during the leveling process. This is increased with force spellpower. Especially on hardcore where all the enemies have elemental resistance, you get more bang for your buck going that route... Especially with the SLA's you get. Thorn Strike and Splinter Bolt do amazing DPS in the leveling process for very little spell cost (1 - 3 spell points)

Misadventure

Killing everybody on Hardcore with pleasure.
Blightcaster's thorn spells are physical and make up the bulk of the DPS during the leveling process. This is increased with force spellpower. Especially on hardcore where all the enemies have elemental resistance, you get more bang for your buck going that route... Especially with the SLA's you get. Thorn Strike and Splinter Bolt do amazing DPS in the leveling process for very little spell cost (1 - 3 spell points)
Ah ok, in that case should invest in fey tree also.

Scrag

Yeah, as boring as it is, thorn spells leveling are really the way to go.

By early/mid epics I had switched fully to an acid build and I stomp things hard. Yes, its a lot of dots, but not all of it is dots. To be honest, I felt ruin was a bit tame compared to everything else that I have going on. I havent tested greater ruin yet, hopefully its much better performing than ruin.

I went blue dragon draconic (++ to ruin spells, magnetic spell power etc etc), all in on acid in primal avatar with magnetic as backup.

For single target anything, blue dragon breath stomps everything else for immediate damage. I don't really know how the spell works though (is it a chain?)

For everything else, I can either mow it down in the first few seconds, or hop around like a bunny and hit the stuff with dots until it all croaks.

I have two or three sources of temp hps. During a mob burndown I can get in excess of 1400 temp hps for long enough to get through most any fight. That is a LOT of staying power, and keeps me alive even as my regular health drops precipitously.

I will be honest, leveling, I just ran fey -> dread -> (rloft caster 3 piece + blurfingered gloves) -> sharn esoteric. I didnt relinquish fey stuff until between rloft and sharn, and some dread things I wore till 20 or near 20.

Vox

Why make it overly complicated?

4pc fey (caster body, crown of snow, dragonscale bracers, deadringers or winter court necklace), bottle of shadows, borderlands scepters>eyes scepters>epic borderlands scepters, appropriate for level con & wis gear

Scrag

Why make it overly complicated?

4pc fey (caster body, crown of snow, dragonscale bracers, deadringers or winter court necklace), bottle of shadows, borderlands scepters>eyes scepters>epic borderlands scepters, appropriate for level con & wis gear
Wow, I just saw there is a legendary bottle of shadows! I am pretty not sure I would burn a trinket slot on that, but... its a lot better than nothing!

Ying

5000+ hours played
Hardcore is it's own meta. I played three blightcasters on different accounts, some of which had Dread and Feywild while others didn't. If you're going to farm out gear, 5pc Dread and 7pc Feywild works great for heroic levels. This is what I ran on the account that has all the content available, and I got this toon to level 24 with some friends to get the final treasure pieces. I ran all content on elite.

Screenshot_2023-07-02_at_7.43.20_AM.png

At level 10, the Fey scepter gets replaced with the Ravenloft one.

One account had whatever Feywild gear I could get the first time through (no farming), and the other account was all randomly generated gear. The last two died at levels 18 and 16 from being CC'd while I was soloing.

Once U61 (Vecna Unleashed) is available, there's a 3pc set that works great from level 18 onwards.

DBZ

I like adq blightcaster gloves n the other set for acid n xx powers n lores

The wk gogs should combo nicely with it too

Frieling Slyhand

Not claiming to be the best, but what I have done with the two blight caster lives I've played so far is this:
Lvl 2 Sceptre of Corrosion from Borderlands Plus Nicked Orb. FYI, I am acid based at low level and add cold as secondary at mid heroic.
lvl 5 Queen's sceptre from Fey and Nicked Orb
Lvl 7: Queen's sceptre plus the Powder Packed Barrell from Dread Isle
Lvl 10: Echo of Wave plus Burnscar Sash from RL for acid and fire lore
lvl 15: Creeping Dust Conduit from Sharn gives both acid and cold! Sharn Hruit's Influence Set.

Contessor

Hey everyone.

According to the bank thread you don’t need gear.

Genkiba

According to the bank thread you don’t need gear.

According to the bank thread you don’t need 20 sets of gear.

Fixed.

Hardcore is it's own meta. I played three blightcasters on different accounts, some of which had Dread and Feywild while others didn't. If you're going to farm out gear, 5pc Dread and 7pc Feywild works great for heroic levels. This is what I ran on the account that has all the content available, and I got this toon to level 24 with some friends to get the final treasure pieces. I ran all content on elite.

At level 10, the Fey scepter gets replaced with the Ravenloft one.

One account had whatever Feywild gear I could get the first time through (no farming), and the other account was all randomly generated gear. The last two died at levels 18 and 16 from being CC'd while I was soloing.

Once U61 (Vecna Unleashed) is available, there's a 3pc set that works great from level 18 onwards.

Nice. I may have to farm out some IoD items now.