DDO and end of life for Windows 10

Br4d

It's really tempting to upgrade when the big sales on last year's model come up. The problem is eventually you wind up with a big incompatibility like that one.

Saving 40% doesn't matter if you can't upgrade to something necessary in a couple of years.

Mobius

Despite all of the warnings about support ending, for certain categories of vulnerabilities, Microsoft will continue to issue patches for expired products. You will see this done to help prevent certain botnets or high-profile vulnerabilities which are known to be actively exploited on a large scale. You can't rely on this for every newly discovered bug though, and as the active percentage of Windows 10 installations diminishes, you'll see Microsoft's interest & patching support wane accordingly.

Looking at risk vs exposure, if the PC is used for anything outside of DDO, you're opening yourself up. Others have alluded to not using e-mail or web browsing on an unpatched system, which is good practice, but you'll still be exposed to some degree. At that point, you're basically relying on flying underneath the radar for protection. I'd advise using a 3rd-party product for added security.

Buddha5440

I have not migrated to Win 11 because my perfectly good hardware is not supported (being only 1 generation early there is no security garbage). The end of life for Win 10 is scheduled to be October 14, 2025 at which time my system will turn to junk as far as running DDO. Yeah, Win 10 will continue to operate, but without support. This will be OK for a while, but cannot be a long term solution. I have not been a friend of that Bill for some time.

Will DDO finally release a native version that will run on x86 Linux? That is without emulation. DDO has about 1 1/2 years to develop a native Linux port that would free us all.
I ran Win XP on my old system for years after its EoL date. Never had an issue. Why??? Because Win XP was simply better than Vista/7/8. :)
I would say give yourself the gift of a new rig.

The min requirements for Win 11 is only 64 bit processor, 4 GB Ram and 64 GB disk space. If you really want to be nice to yourself throw in a good video card.
^^^ This. You can get an AM4 Mobo with a 3000 series Ryzen and 32 GB RAM for around $200. Or go with a Ryzen G series (5600G w/ Mobo still ~$200).

Reaped and Ravaged

Any application can be designed to mine coin in the background. Having an up to date security product is important unless you want your PC running extra cycles making somebody coin while it wears down twice as fast.
Using windows task manager to check and end malicious processes does not require a new computer

erethizon1

Uhh why not? Its not like DDO is forcing you to upgrade to state-of-the-art protocols to maintain compatibility

I was on Win 7 well past its EOL and everything worked just fine

I dont see the demand for a Linux client being enough to warrant the time it'd take to port it, and maintain two clients in parallel. They dropped the Mac client, and way more people use Macs than Linux
I still play DDO on a laptop running Windows 7. That was the computer I bought to run DDO and I have never upgraded it.

kmoustakas

Scourge of Xaos
I have not migrated to Win 11 because my perfectly good hardware is not supported (being only 1 generation early there is no security garbage). The end of life for Win 10 is scheduled to be October 14, 2025 at which time my system will turn to junk as far as running DDO. Yeah, Win 10 will continue to operate, but without support. This will be OK for a while, but cannot be a long term solution. I have not been a friend of that Bill for some time.

Will DDO finally release a native version that will run on x86 Linux? That is without emulation. DDO has about 1 1/2 years to develop a native Linux port that would free us all.
I'm still running this on win7 and it's fine, except all the programs saying they will stop working in 0 days.

Natashaelle

Time Bandit
It doesn't really solve the problem, but I was able to upgrade to Windows 11 without meeting the hardware requirements (there are several guides for that on the internet).

The problem is that Windows 11 will also receive a new build this year, I heard, which may cause Windows 11 not to boot if you use such "trickery."
I upgraded to the new W11 release recently, and that's not really true in that scenario. What I've found is you need to manually do it every time a new one comes out, instead of Windows Update just doing it automatically. Next one is probably going to be 24H2, for early 2025 IMO as they usually miss their projected release windows.

Besides, if you're running the previous W11 version, then the new one has very likely already been installed, but in an inactive state. There's a KB you can use to activate it, takes a couple of minutes tops. They seem to have given up trying to actively punish people for running it on supposedly "incompatible hardware".

The "may cause your computer not to boot" warning is just legalese for "if you attempt this and mess up, it's your fault not ours". They've been saying the same thing since the era of XP or earlier.

With some motherboard resets my computer is compatible, but I simply do not want to reinstall Windows from A to Z.

Xaxx

No one that runs linux or mac OS expects to play games either. If they are gamers they will either use consoles or have a windows machine also.
*looks at all the linux based hand helds and emu devices running around then looks back at quote*

with a littlle bit of tinkering I had ddo running on my 1st gen steam deck, and for ***** and giggles i got it running on the odyn when it came out, its harder to get it running ddo running on an android platform than steam os lin base.....

getting ddo to fire up on one of the windows based hand helds went beyond the pale and i gave the **** up...

yeah yeah i know steam os and lin blah blah... either waay if you REALLY wanna play ddo and you can get creative on working with shortcuts and imputs you can play this game on a 15 yo clraptop on windows 2k even today

Toblakai

*looks at all the linux based hand helds and emu devices running around then looks back at quote*

with a littlle bit of tinkering I had ddo running on my 1st gen steam deck, and for ***** and giggles i got it running on the odyn when it came out, its harder to get it running ddo running on an android platform than steam os lin base.....

getting ddo to fire up on one of the windows based hand helds went beyond the pale and i gave the **** up...

yeah yeah i know steam os and lin blah blah... either waay if you REALLY wanna play ddo and you can get creative on working with shortcuts and imputs you can play this game on a 15 yo clraptop on windows 2k even today
I got DDO running on my steam deck also... Thought I would use it while travelling. Currently it is collecting dust haven't used it since the first month I got it. For most people linux is too much effort. I use linux everyday for work, and I have zero desire to attempt to get my games running on it.

kylstrem

There's not a snowball's chance in hell that Standing Stone has the resources to develop and then maintain a Linux version.

Mobius

No, but if you have malicious processes on your system, I would think a wipe and reinstall would be in order at the minimum.
True. There's the matter of being able to recognize a rogue process, and not every user gets down to that nuts & bolts level. And if your average legitimate process like explorer.exe has had malicious code injected into it, killing it & re-starting it isn't going to accomplish a whole lot.

FaceDancer

Olde Wurm
Not that I have tried it but... I would think the ideal way to run any older games would be to fire up a VM with XP or Win7 on it and see how it goes.

Teh_Troll

Stop being poor and update your computers. You're gonna end up with more viruses than the monkey from Outbreak.

I have two systems I finally have to retire when W10 is EOL, one will be 10 years old.

erethizon1

Stop being poor and update your computers. You're gonna end up with more viruses than the monkey from Outbreak.

I have two systems I finally have to retire when W10 is EOL, one will be 10 years old.
In my case the reason I don't upgrade is simple, the DDO Client can't handle it. I don't want to follow the complicated instructions to install the game on a new system so I will wait to upgrade until DDO is properly patched so that all I have to do is download the client and it will install correctly. I have a much newer gaming laptop currently running Windows 10 (and ready to be upgraded to Windows 11 whenever I allow it), so all I need is for game to be ready for such technology so that the game will install as easily as it does on the old Windows 7 laptop.

Teh_Troll

In my case the reason I don't upgrade is simple, the DDO Client can't handle it. I don't want to follow the complicated instructions to install the game on a new system so I will wait to upgrade until DDO is properly patched so that all I have to do is download the client and it will install correctly. I have a much newer gaming laptop currently running Windows 10 (and ready to be upgraded to Windows 11 whenever I allow it), so all I need is for game to be ready for such technology so that the game will install as easily as it does on the old Windows 7 laptop.
What parallel universe are you talking about?

Just had an HD crash and rebuilt my main desktop to W11. You know what I had to do to get DDO working? I installed it and clicked the button!

erethizon1

Just to reassert what Teh_Toll said, I'm running on Win 11 with DDO and there are no issues (YMMV...)
Interesting. I tried adding DDO and LOTRO to my windows 10 laptop a few months ago and both had huge issues that required looking into the forums. Is this a Windows 10 only problem? Is it working great for windows 11? That may be just the motivation I need to upgrade to windows 11.