DDO and end of life for Windows 10

rabidfox

The People's Champion
Is this a Windows 10 only problem? Is it working great for windows 11?
The game works great on both OSes; it's generally just the issue of older file libraries missing because newer OSes don't have those by default anymore. (Sometimes there's other odd issues, but that can happen just as easily with a system running Windows XP or Windows 7/8).

FaceDancer

Olde Wurm
I think this is one of those things where it works great, when it works! 😁
Then again not all of the penguins make it out to the sea...
Rosie_Costa.jpg

BYGOD1

HAHAHAHAHAAHH Linux without emulation........... What do you think Linux is when running windows based programs?
Just do what I did. Quit

Teh_Troll

Interesting. I tried adding DDO and LOTRO to my windows 10 laptop a few months ago and both had huge issues that required looking into the forums. Is this a Windows 10 only problem? Is it working great for windows 11? That may be just the motivation I need to upgrade to windows 11.
Runs on 10. I was on 10 before my HD died last week.

Hell, I'm able to run it on W10 and W11 Hyper_V VMs (I have a strange use case) and it runs fine.

Ethril

Interesting. I tried adding DDO and LOTRO to my windows 10 laptop a few months ago and both had huge issues that required looking into the forums. Is this a Windows 10 only problem? Is it working great for windows 11? That may be just the motivation I need to upgrade to windows 11.
What issues were you having? I run Windows 10 and haven't ran into anything, but it could be related to hardware differences, driver differences, or other programs on the system.

Ethril

HAHAHAHAHAAHH Linux without emulation........... What do you think Linux is when running windows based programs?
Just do what I did. Quit
Running Windows programs on Linux isn't emulation thats why WINE's full name is (Wine Is Not an Emulator). Emulation refers to mimicking the hardware of a system (such as QEMU does). WINE, on the other hand, just adds the Windows system calls to an OS that is already running on the same underlying hardware as Windows could be ran on.

Emulation is much slower.

GrayJedi AntiProPaladin

you can bypass the TPM and other requirements of Windows 11 - it's Not officially supported by Microsoft (they allow the Option/Choice bcuz of popular feedback/"complaints", but it still works, just search on Google or other search engines

for Linux, as aforementioned, WINE/Lutris/Steam Proton/CodeWeaver-Crossover works pretty well, only gotcha so far is buying DDOpoints in the in-game store

(supposedly they call WINE "translation" compatibility layer instead of "emulation")

erethizon1

What issues were you having? I run Windows 10 and haven't ran into anything, but it could be related to hardware differences, driver differences, or other programs on the system.
The main problem is that the game stays minimized. I can't get the game to stay on the screen. It keeps minimizing to the task bar. I also have not been able to get it to take up the whole laptop screen, but that problem would likely be easily fixed if I could just keep the game up on the screen to play it.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
The main problem is that the game stays minimized. I can't get the game to stay on the screen. It keeps minimizing to the task bar. I also have not been able to get it to take up the whole laptop screen, but that problem would likely be easily fixed if I could just keep the game up on the screen to play it.
Try step 10 here https://forums.ddo.com/index.php?th...-as-crowdsourced-by-many-players-advice.1666/ If not that, then it's possible that 3rd party software running the background taking focus over. You could try press "ctrl+enter" to swap out of fullscreen mode (or manually edit the game config file to windowed fullscreen mode instead of fullscreen mode if ctrl+enter doesn't work) and see if that helps.

ImNotYourMommy

I have not migrated to Win 11 because my perfectly good hardware is not supported (being only 1 generation early there is no security garbage). The end of life for Win 10 is scheduled to be October 14, 2025 at which time my system will turn to junk as far as running DDO. Yeah, Win 10 will continue to operate, but without support. This will be OK for a while, but cannot be a long term solution. I have not been a friend of that Bill for some time.

Will DDO finally release a native version that will run on x86 Linux? That is without emulation. DDO has about 1 1/2 years to develop a native Linux port that would free us all.
Just my two cents, Lol, not gunna happen...the Linux thing... Linux users prolly only make up 10 percent of current DDO players.... Porting it over would be a waste of time and effort better used on other game related things...

DDO doesn't need the latest version of windows to run...Been running DDO just fine these days on a now old laptop running windows xp, yes, its even the high def DDO version... Same windows xp and laptop that was running DDO when it first came out, remember the directx package install for windows? ... Looks exactly the same as the high def versions of DDO running on my home built desktops running windows 7, 10, and 11... Only differences are the obscene screen sizes the newer windows versions can get because of the newer graphics cards, oh and the newer directx versions let you use all the fancy screen effects, and you can run more things in the background at the same time while playing...

Only reason for updating to the latest windows versions in my opinion is for more security with financial programs and web apps...
Ah, and ending support just means they stop updating security patches and introducing new features....
And remember, you always need at least two windows computers, the second one for fixing the first one when an update goes horribly wrong, or, reasons...

By the way, its my understanding that its the motherboard that determines if your hardware can run windows 11 or not, and, if one looks hard enough, use your googlefu, plenty of work-a-rounds have popped up on other sites showing how to run windows 11 on older computers, if you are interested in going that route...

Have fun....

/