DDO Bonus Days!

Deleaka

i own all the Challenges and i do like them but i never run them because rewards sux items sux and u cant rly farm them, they do rly need an update, they should make them all doable for evey character lvl and do something with the rewards

Nimrud

I disagree with you guys: challenges are not only loot, but ingredients can also be turned in for potions (XP, guild renown...) and epic ingredients for Tokens of the Twelve. Of course, if you are buying store pots or Hearts this bonus is a meh, but many people can get some benefits here.
Personally I'm pretty happy with this weekend bonus :)

Kyrr

I disagree with you guys: challenges are not only loot, but ingredients can also be turned in for potions (XP, guild renown...) and epic ingredients for Tokens of the Twelve. Of course, if you are buying store pots or Hearts this bonus is a meh, but many people can get some benefits here.
Personally I'm pretty happy with this weekend bonus :)
The average player doesn't run cannith challenges, mainly because some of them can be confusing, or seemingly a waste of time as those items aren't exactly effective. I like that they are targeting all audiences, however.

droid327

Haha awesome, my current char is just about to hit 10 and run the max-15 Cannith challenges for XP pots

Or just make us able to actually farm them at levels higher than 20 :(

Or actually at 20, in the case of Epic Cannith Challenges. ML21 is such a weird and archaic requirement, and arbitrarily keeps people from being able to snag some Tokens at 20 before TRing.

droid327

The average player doesn't run cannith challenges, mainly because some of them can be confusing, or seemingly a waste of time as those items aren't exactly effective. I like that they are targeting all audiences, however.

There is a learning curve yes, but being able to spend 25 mins running a full-clear Behind the Door at L+5 and getting over 1000 mats = ~7 5% XP pots, then doing it again for Picture Portals (and Moving Targets if you want, but that one's easier to whiff on), provides free XP pots for a whole life.

5% XP across a Heroic life is worth 190,000 XP, so with the mediocre XP on the quest itself first-time, it ends up being worth like 4,000 XP/min, which is still well worthwhile for Heroic questing at L10

For those interested, here's the walkthrough for both those Challenges. Bring Search gear if you need it. Make sure to look out for loose Crests as you go, often up ramps, and break all breakables for more Crests:

- Head right down the first hallway, clear all the rooms and collect Crests
- Head to the Gallery, go out to the plaza, open the door to the Library
- Head to the Bath House, open the door towards the Back Door
- If you can lock pick, clear the cages in the trap ramps.
- Loose crests at the bottom of the moat
- Kill Sam. Crests behind hidden door upstairs in fireplace
- Proceed to Other Back Door, kill the Succubus
- Backtrack to Bath House. Search for hidden door.
- Head through underground passage, kill the named Spider, emerge in Banner Hall
- Open door towards the entrance plaza, head through the Chapel and up to the War Room, kill Ugg
- Backtrack to entrance hall and out to the street
- Jump up the platforms on the wall to get onto the roof, kill Crystal
- Head back the other way across the roof to the opposite end, drop down and search the hidden door in the back of the alley
- Go through the secret passage and into the Apartment, kill Rushmore
- AFK for 5-10 mins while your remaining time runs out (or sell it to the Foreman if he's around). Do NOT recall early! :D

Savage

Phoenicis' Wife
Husband and me always run time is money and colossal crystals to farm mats to trade for tokens. So this weekend is perfect to stock up on em again.

Nimrud

I also disagree to the statement that they are not time-effective. Kobold Chaos is 15 mins and most of the times I get 600+ mats solo (and that's without weekend boost). That's 4 potions (so 12 hours of guild boost or 11 hours of XP boost).

My best in Kobold Chaos was way over 1000, but that was with a very big weekend boost (100% as far as I remember) and with dual-boxing. First life lvl 5 rogue.

Kyrr

I also disagree to the statement that they are not time-effective. Kobold Chaos is 15 mins and most of the times I get 600+ mats solo (and that's without weekend boost). That's 4 potions (so 12 hours of guild boost or 11 hours of XP boost).

My best in Kobold Chaos was way over 1000, but that was with a very big weekend boost (100% as far as I remember) and with dual-boxing. First life lvl 5 rogue.

Yes, disregard my previous statement which correlates to the time related issue. You have to spend time to learn the effective path, and get the gear to do so. You are one that chooses to run challenges, good for you. It's not effective to me, so it's skipped.

But, thanks for listing the only two good things out of cannith challenges and bringing my point to attention that the gear isn't useful.

Nimrud

Yes, disregard my previous statement which correlates to the time related issue. You have to spend time to learn the effective path, and get the gear to do so. You are one that chooses to run challenges, good for you. It's not effective to me, so it's skipped.

But, thanks for listing the only two good things out of cannith challenges and bringing my point to attention that the gear isn't useful.
A quest doesn't need to be "the best" in all categories in order to be considered to be run by players. Kobold's New Ringleader doesn't have any good loot, interesting mechanics or a good storyline, yet I don't know anyone who skips it (well, maybe people who ran it a million times before and can't even look at it anymore...) KNR is all about XP/min.
Even a better example would be the Shadow Crypt - no good gear, you need to spend much time to learn it (probably more than any challenge), have at least decent gear to run it effectively. Plus it needs at least 1 person who is flagged to open it. And people keep running it.

And to be honest: the toon that I posted screenshot of is a first life lvl 5 toon with only 1 piece of gear that is really good at this lvl (which is a weapon) plus a bunch of haste pots bought in the Marketplace for a few plat. But I agree that it takes some time to know the quest to run it effectively - but that's the case of many quests in DDO. You don't run it at all => you are confused.

Ike

A quest doesn't need to be "the best" in all categories in order to be considered to be run by players. Kobold's New Ringleader doesn't have any good loot, interesting mechanics or a good storyline, yet I don't know anyone who skips it (well, maybe people who ran it a million times before and can't even look at it anymore...) KNR is all about XP/min.
Even a better example would be the Shadow Crypt - no good gear, you need to spend much time to learn it (probably more than any challenge), have at least decent gear to run it effectively. Plus it needs at least 1 person who is flagged to open it. And people keep running it.

And to be honest: the toon that I posted screenshot of is a first life lvl 5 toon with only 1 piece of gear that is really good at this lvl (which is a weapon) plus a bunch of haste pots bought in the Marketplace for a few plat. But I agree that it takes some time to know the quest to run it effectively - but that's the case of many quests in DDO. You don't run it at all => you are confused.
I don't agree with the "you don't run it at all, you are confused." Quests are pretty basic for the most part if you follow the objectives. Cannith Challenges have specific method(s) which can be easily confusing to a newer player.

You can see this by someone posting the steps on how to do it effectively because there's no objective line to end, it's just main goal + earn x stars with optionals that will eventually show up.

Phoenicis

Savage's Husband
Husband and me always run time is money and colossal crystals to farm mats to trade for tokens. So this weekend is perfect to stock up on em again.
we ran the bejeebus outta colossal crystals this weekend. Averaged probably 800-900 epic jade scorpions per run. Regularly got more than 1k, best run was over 1200.

Ahpuch

I hadn't known about the XP elixirs so thanks.

Time effectives seems to be valid if you know how to run with the 40% applicable bonus.

Xp pots are 2 hours @ 5%. That means that in 15 minutes you will get about 24 minutes of XP equivalence if you get enough mats for 4 pots (600). But without the 40% mats you are only getting 14.4 minutes. With the XP you get from the quest likely still puts you ahead in time. Of course that assumes one knows how to run them to get max mats in the min time.

I don't know how to run them effectively but i did turn in some of my mat backlog for some XP pots so again, thanks.

Mesmerin

Stalker ring (at all levels) is still awesome. Artificer ring is good for robots. WInd Bracers, Rock boots, cloak of flame, Blasting Chime, and Sparehand are also nice dependent on class you're running. I agree with you that the rest has aged a lot. Frozen chest you can get same freeze effects from the snowpeaks ruby, the weapons are bad, etc.
I do all challenges once per life with my group apart from kobold island ones. With first time bonus if you 6 star them it's a lot of XP for time spent.

gljosh

It would be great if the DDO Bonus Days were "up" until the Wednesday restart. I do enjoy the 40% bonus to Challenge Materials, it is normally difficult to run many of them over the roughly two days.