DDOwiki now arbitrarily opens new tabs

Scrag

Left a ddowiki tab open, left for a about an hour, came back, and it had opened new tabs in my chrome. I know this, because at the bottom of the ddowiki page still open it specifically said "readchatter247", which was the site it opened on its own.

I had gone back from ddocompendium for one thing to look up and had that happen...

Ahpuch

Well when you choose not to use adblock, you won't block their ads...
For DDO wiki you can also sign in as a contributor to get rid of Ads.

But adblock is a must in general. I used to be fine with ads back when they were unobtrusive banners or side columns (sorta like what you would get in a magazine) but it seems like that wasn't enough. Ad providers decided that I must be irritated and angry by the adds that keep popping up, opening tabs or rearranging the page layout as I am reading. So AdBlock it is. Sites that need ad revenue brought the blocking on themselves.

Scrag

I am fairly certain my av provider (webroot) has an ad block option/thing as well. Looking into it.

But popping out of frame and into a new chrome tab is BAD.

PurpleSerpent

Monster Hunter of Moderate Renown
Left a ddowiki tab open, left for a about an hour, came back, and it had opened new tabs in my chrome. I know this, because at the bottom of the ddowiki page still open it specifically said "readchatter247", which was the site it opened on its own.

I had gone back from ddocompendium for one thing to look up and had that happen...
The site owner has got back to us on the advert issues - apparently Google's ad server has started turning on the "automatic" advert settings without our permission. The issue should hopefully be fixed by the end of this weekend.

PurpleSerpent

It is opening tabs with ads for nude sites, they better sort this out fast
Oh, for pity's sake... that's only started happening after the change that was supposed to fix the issue, I'd better get back in contact...

(Why are you like this, Google Ad Services?)

Last edited:

PurpleSerpent

OK, update time: we don't know why this is happening. Our site owner has already switched the amount of advertisements back to the minimum (which still hasn't fixed the adverts in tables issue) and Google Advertising Services claims that it doesn't allow adverts to open in new tabs without being clicked on unless you're in "a location where this is expected browsing behaviour", whatever the heck that means (they don't provide a list of where these locations are, either,)

It is opening tabs with ads for nude sites, they better sort this out fast
We're especially confused by what's going on here, since Google AdSense just isn't meant to show adult content, and that's the only advertising service we use.

We're probably going to need to get in contact with Google Advertising Services and put in a complaint, but since disabling adverts on our end isn't an option (we need that money to pay our server hosting costs, and I'm not sure why @Ahpuch seems to be angry with us about that), the best I can suggest is creating and signing into an account, since adverts are automatically disabled while you're logged in (and that, at least, we know is working properly.)

The only thing worse than that is auto-playing a Video with sound!
P.S. This is a thing AdSense does, and we're not allowed to turn it off. Sorry.

Ahpuch

I'm not sure why @Ahpuch seems to be angry with us about that
I can't say I am angry with ddowiki or the people who manage it. Normally its ads are quite tolerable. I was more commenting on other sites (I won't list examples) whose ads are intolerable and requires Ad Blocking to make the site actually usable. I went back and reread my post and I wasn't at all clear that I was talking about sites on the web other than DDOwiki that have become tedious.

I am sorry that my post came across as criticism of DDOWiki which is an invaluable tool for players. Frankly SSG, should be funding the costs of keeping it running because without DDOWiki this game would be quite irritating.

PurpleSerpent

I can't say I am angry with ddowiki or the people who manage it. Normally its ads are quite tolerable. I was more commenting on other sites (I won't list examples) whose ads are intolerable and requires Ad Blocking to make the site actually usable. I went back and reread my post and I wasn't at all clear that I was talking about sites on the web other than DDOwiki that have become tedious.

I am sorry that my post came across as criticism of DDOWiki which is an invaluable tool for players. Frankly SSG, should be funding the costs of keeping it running because without DDOWiki this game would be quite irritating.
Alright, that makes more sense. Thank you for clarifying.

On that note: we now believe the issue with Google AdSense opening adverts in the middle of tables should be resolved. We're still not sure what's going on with tabs auto-opening - I've tested browsing while logged out and couldn't recreate the issue - but if anyone can provide more information that would be very helpful.

glass_jaws

I would suggest anyone that sees it opening new tabs report what page they were visiting. I don't know what wiki software you are using, but it's possibly you could have a javascript injection in a page. Hopefully it's not in a common element shared across many pages.