Do you think DDO would loose something if it was upgraded graphically?

Just like to hear what ppl think about this.

For a game that is this old it doesm't look all that bad imo and if we say that the whole game was to be redone graphically to be state of the art graphics for the latest hardware out there I actually think it would loose some of it's charm.

Although it would look awesome (obviously) it might loose that "special" feeling or at least to me. Would I play it? Yes I would. Would it still be great? Yes, if the gameplay wasn't altered from now I think it would. If they changed the actual feeling of the game I think I would loose interest after a while (unless it somehow became better).

I have played a bunch of other mmorpg's when I felt like a break from running this game which happends sometimes (especially when I play multiple characters that are around the same level so you basically run the same quests over and over too close in time to one another) and even though some have had better looking graphics the gameplay and feel have been lacking, which make me always come back to DDO.

I hope this game stays alive for several years more.

PS. I don't mean if they did something small in updating it graphically or clean up some quests to make them look better, what I'm talking about is a complete rework to make it look like as realistic as it could with modern hardware and stuff.

I wasn't to clear in my post it seems, my question is only hypotechnically since I'm quite aware that the cost would be too much and it's would be better in that regard to make a whole new game instead (which I'm not sure would have the same "feel" to it. As an example since it's Dnd too, I played BG3 and i got tired after not too long while playing this game have soooooo many hours during my 15+ years).

Oliphant

They really should rescale the UI so people can play higher resolutions. In terms of graphics, they could focus on just fixing some of the weirder terrain textures, mostly thinking of the vertical stretchy stuff that looks wonky in places.

Xgya

I don't think it'd lose any of its charm, but my computer probably couldn't handle it, so I'd have to stop playing instead.

Archaic

Do you see anyone purchasing the old roblox looking, square body, big shouldered , Road Warrior in Crayon Armor cosmetics people were sporting at launch or using mirrors of glamouring on old gear?
Where Eberron may have been technologically advanced it devolved in art and fashion.
Thank Lolth 😆

Toede

I'd just be happy with them finishing the avatar faces. Half elves, gnomes and the other newer options look so good, but all the original races look like they hit every branch on the way down the ugly tree.

Hoka

I started with atari 2600 so this game is great in my OP. I would like to see updated Avatar's. Dwarf and Warforged could use some love. Tiefling horns matching skin color is gross.

Arch-Necromancer

I started with atari 2600 so this game is great in my OP. I would like to see updated Avatar's. Dwarf and Warforged could use some love. Tiefling horns matching skin color is gross.
DDO tiefling horns also have another problem - their base is at the center of the forehead for some wild reason and that looks horrible.

And with the color being the same as skin, they look like one big piece of plastic glued to the head.

Compare that to Baldur's Gate 3 tieflings. Their horns base is on the sides of the forehead and with color and pattern different from skin, and that looks as you would expect for a demonic horn - great.

Worst thing is they made a small horn option that looked normal and it was on Lamannia preview, but they removed it for live version even though everyone was against removing it.

The_Apocalypse

Personally, I like the older graphics more than the newer ones on character models. When they did wood elves, I had a flashback of when they started upgrading EQ1 character models (rounded faces that look like they've had too many facelifts). I like a lot of the older armor models, too (like the detail in Brutish Cuirass). And scenery (old skies, not old landscape). They need to do something about staves, though (those things are jacked).

saekee

long live ROGUE
yes they would lose the vintage look. It being an old game is its strength in that it has years of growth of quests, loot, character progression, and build design.

The vintage feel points to its sell points.

Owlbear

Some game reworks are done well and some are done crap. Either way all depends if they do it well or not.

Teh_Troll

I'd be happy if they optimized the graphics in some of the newer content. There's places in DDO where a 4090 will drop to below 40 frames it's designed so poorly.

FaceDancer

Olde Wurm
I just ran Memoirs of an Illusory Larcener in the Harbor (never really noticed it to be honest) and wow... that adventure looks very "retro" even by DDO's standards. :eek:

Buddha5440

Ahhh NOSTALGIA :)
giphy.gif

I too started here Eventually upgraded to a DOS 3.0 PC and a Dot-Matrix printer. I remember on the Atari we ended up having to wrap rubber bands around the controller plugs and the switches just to keep everything connected.

but, as to the OP... The game would certainly lose something if they upgraded to modern graphics. They would lose a not insignificant percentage of the players. Those who run on older rigs. If they haven't upgraded them yet, they won't just for one game.