Does Anyone Ever Use DDO to Substitute the Experience of a PnP Session as I think the Game may have Originally be Intended for?

cursedblessedone

Trigger Me Elmo
Does Anyone Ever Use DDO to Substitute the Experience of a PnP Session as I think the Game may have Originally be Intended for?
Cause in my DDO experience, all I seem to find are most the standard MMO type players who zerg and power thru content like they got the life span of the worst case of terminal illness, making almost all groups unfun cause I feel the whole time I just am preoccupied trying to keep up with the Road Runners and Speedy Gonzolez's. So I just end up soloing or multiboxing(no autofollow or any type plugins either, closest I get is making my hire and pet follow if I got any with me).

speedy-gonzales-saving-slowpoke-rodriguez-tb8wbfinrexqfph8.gif
5bfd76e148eb12150245a653

DDO Gaming

Cause in my DDO experience, all I seem to find are most the standard MMO type players who zerg and power thru content like they got the life span of the worst case of terminal illness, making almost all groups unfun cause I feel the whole time I just am preoccupied trying to keep up with the Road Runners and Speedy Gonzolez's. So I just end up soloing or multiboxing(no autofollow or any type plugins either, closest I get is making my hire and pet follow if I got any with me).

speedy-gonzales-saving-slowpoke-rodriguez-tb8wbfinrexqfph8.gif
5bfd76e148eb12150245a653
there are great groups, you just have to keep looking. Not everyone zergs

DDO Gaming

Also consider: next time you LFM explicitly state "NO ZERGING otherwise you'll be booted from the group"

ACJ97F

We usually wander through TR/ERs with 3 people. Drag everything into a pile, it dies... repeat. Not like zerg speed, but most of the time we
don't stop because of the AOEs. For some that might be "too fast", but I've been in groups where you need action boost sprint to keep up,
so we try to avoid those. 🏃‍♂️

rabidfox

The People's Champion
Unless I toggle on the DDO's walk mode and actively sip a cup of coffee between every attack, I'm just moving at a normal flow by zipping around. I flowersniff and explore new quests when they come out, but after a couple runs I just know the ins & outs of them. If I want a slower pace that's closer to pen and paper, that's when I play BG3 or older games like Planescape: Torment; DDO doesn't have the depth of pen and paper nor single player RPGs.

The Narc

Our no spoilers permadeath guild promotes a more group synergetic pen and paper feel.

Pm me if you are interested.

Lacci

I have to say, DDO has gone so far away from a PnP experience, it´s become more like a Diablo style game by now.
It´s all about maximizing XP/minute and optimizing builds and gear.

Bjond

DSO tried to be more PnP and MMO at the same time. It was actually turn-based D&D. It failed.

IMHO, if you want a PnP-like experience, you'll have to setup a static group of like-minded individuals. Once you do that, the medium is likely far less important than the people. Something like BG3 or the (much) older NWN games would be more conducive to heavy RP, since they're turn-based, but they don't have the massive array of content available in DDO.

Rathy

The closest my static group gets to PnP while playing DDO is going blind into new-to-us content (using our own house-rules permadeath game style). But they know even less about the game then I do so we have lots of quests left to do. I'm the most 'spoiled' in my group because my HC 5K favor experiences but even for me I have large knowledge gaps. For example we are all going to go do Dino Island blind for the first time (thank you year of the dragon gifts SSG from my friends!) .

So I think your best options are:
1) static group play with friends who have your or less game knowledge.
2) join a guild that a plays blind and accept their various rules (like Narc's post mentioned above mine; besides that one there are probably others)
3) join any guild and form/join/plan a like-minded group of guild members (role players, zergers, R10 masters, permadeath, whatever) to run new quests whenever they come out. A bit tricky as have to figure what to do about the test server previews, reading forum, etc.

I hope you find something that works!

Varr

Ignoring the zerg specific point and answering the question, Yes.

I played in a static friend group from 15 to 26 years old. The GM was dedicated and gifted from my perspective. That ended about 25 years ago. I tried a handful of groups after moving to different states and found.......there is zero way to say this politely.....the groups of people were intolerable/immature/unfocused (worst descriptor yet, benneth me.) As were the new rule sets.

I was probably frozen in time only happy with 3.5 ruleset and a group of players that were not replaceable......

DDO came out and I started as it did in 2006 and have continued to play since. It was a more enjoyable replacement for my original D&D experience, and no one got on my nerves. I continue to play nostalgically and wouldn't likely even consider another PnP D&D session/campaign.

Last edited:

Asterphen

Very much so... but only certain aspects of pnp sessions.
A friend invited me to dnd 28 years ago. We played once a week mostly through college and such. Eventually the group disbanded and spread throughout the country. We still get together once a year for a week of hanging out, connecting in person, being creative, relaxing, and also playing pnp dnd. Does ddo replace some of the social connection time, yes it does especially on guild raid night. Does it replace the role playing problem solving, story telling part of dnd? No it does not, but that is a very tall ask.

Bjond

What´s DSO ?
Dark Sun Online. Each player got a 30s? window to take their turn. It was open-world, D&D (2e?), and (iirc) pvp, too. You could be walking along and stumble over a combat area and get locked into someone else's fight. Can't move until it's your turn. IMHO, I can't imagine how it managed enough funding to get to the Beta stage. It was an abysmal flop.

Blunt Hackett

Yes, but Neverwinter Nights is a better experience for this (not Neverwinter the MMO, to be clear). It was made to simulate D&D, and there are a lot of great modules that are like a full campaign. I feel like DDO has a bit of a disconnect from the PNP, rules aside. Playing a quest pack feels good, but when going from a quest to an unrelated quest it feels too MMO to feel like PNP to me.

cdbd3rd

I was probably frozen in time only happy with 3.5 ruleset and a group of players that were not replaceable......

It's even worse when you're frozen in 2nd ed. Luckily, there's old character sheets and their memories. :cool: