Downtime Notice: Wednesday, April 24th 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM Eastern (-4 GMT)

Br4d

Economics.

Quest packs go stale - they lose value over time.

Low demand leads to low prices - zero demand - zero price.

Demand for content decreases as the customer base on the platform becomes saturated, ie everyone who's going to buy the content has. As demand decreases (assuming the customer base on the platform isn't expanding) the price will decrease. Eventually the content has zero market value left, and may be more useful as 'freebies' to get more customers to engage with the platform - and possibly drive up demand for new content.

The real/current market value of the potions may actually be *greater* than that of the content being given away for free.

Folks should appreciate getting real market value in the forms of the potions.

Everything goes stale in the absence of an influx of new players.

DDO is in a very strange place right now. My guess is that the term maintenance mode is not right because new content appears at a slow pace. However a further guess is that the cash flow in the game is much lower than EG7 would like to see and so we're at a rock and a hard place.

Elminster

Everything goes stale in the absence of an influx of new players.

DDO is in a very strange place right now. My guess is that the term maintenance mode is not right because new content appears at a slow pace. However a further guess is that the cash flow in the game is much lower than EG7 would like to see and so we're at a rock and a hard place.
There's no way to extract more $$$ without tripling the current population.

... which is probably why the Year of the Dragon stuff is soooooooo much better than the VIP(I'm already here) stuff.

Vish

i just came back 2 months ago
to catch up, i paid
3995 DDO points for IOD
and $17 USD for MORGAINE

a discovery elixir is a joke
you might get 2 chests out of it
for 10%? you realize how insignificant that is?

can i get a refund of my morgain purchase?
or better can i get my 3995 ddo points back?

i saw with the VIP, youre basically just giving away stuff of no real value

and i wanted to drop $200 dollars on points but just missed the bonus points

this is truly no reward to those who bought or won the XPACS

increase it x12
a box of rocks for us who piad diligence

Owlbear

i just came back 2 months ago
to catch up, i paid
3995 DDO points for IOD
and $17 USD for MORGAINE

a discovery elixir is a joke
you might get 2 chests out of it
for 10%? you realize how insignificant that is?

can i get a refund of my morgain purchase?
or better can i get my 3995 ddo points back?

i saw with the VIP, youre basically just giving away stuff of no real value

and i wanted to drop $200 dollars on points but just missed the bonus points

this is truly no reward to those who bought or won the XPACS

increase it x12
a box of rocks for us who piad diligence
Whining here doesn't help. Do a support ticket.

I think, the honest deal will be not giving away the elixirs for the adventure packs, but allow to buy with discount another pack you don't have.
Example: I bought IoD or Feywild, but now they give it for free. Ok, but let me choose not elixir, but another pack I don't have. Like Morgrave University or Vecna with discount of 50%.

Volarr

Ha ha soooo funnny, so you cried and cried wow all i'm gonna get is a crappy elixir. And now you're crying I didn't even get my cappy elixir. Man this is gold, I,ll tell you solid gold

Ahpuch

Agreed but expansions cost way more in DDO points then the discovery elixirs do. So SSG's equal is not equal at all.
What does a discovery pot cost? They aren't available in the store so do we actually know the cost? I would guess if they were sold it would be more than 99 pts.

Lazuli

They are not sold in the store, but as seph1roth5 said, priceless and worthless are not incompatible.

10% is very poor because of the way the loot works. (I have gone on raids with one of those potions active and no items have come out). The way these potions work, it's not an hour of continuous loot, but rather a few chests that they affect. In those raids that I mentioned, the duration only gave time to two or three chests. And I didn't get any items. If one item had come out, it probably wouldn't have been the one I wanted.

These potions should not work for a time, they should work for open chests. They should give something more than a measly 10% probability. Even in elite, that's 43%, less than half the chance of getting an item.

People simply don't value them for the way they work.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
People simply don't value them for the way they work.
Yup. They mostly sit in my bank untouched. That said, I feel like SSG could've just as easily just given away the expansions via the dragon and not done anything for those who own them all and I would've been okay with it. I'm okay with not all freebies being things I want nor care about; I'm used to the weekly coupon codes mostly being things I don't bother to redeem and there being a few I really want when they do those codes.

ZmTekpW.jpeg

Lazuli

Yes, I'm not worried about the gift. It's a gift, I don't feel like it should be something spectacular. But I responded to people who don't understand why people consider them useless when we can't buy them in the store.

I also have a stack in the bank, not as many as you, but some, because I simply don't see the use of them. The ones I have spent have not brought me benefits, so... the rest is still there in the bank.

Ahpuch

Yes, I'm not worried about the gift. It's a gift, I don't feel like it should be something spectacular. But I responded to people who don't understand why people consider them useless when we can't buy them in the store.

I also have a stack in the bank, not as many as you, but some, because I simply don't see the use of them. The ones I have spent have not brought me benefits, so... the rest is still there in the bank.
It looks like you responded to my post. I understand the value. I understand that it can be worthless to many. But the post I replied to referred to the cost of pots which is something completely different to value. There are a ton of things whose cost in the store is quite unrelated to the value of it (for me, I won't speak for others). I don't think we know the cost of these items. Also many seem to complain about the pots but confuse them with treasure hunter elixirs which are sold (and thus do have a cost) so there is that confusion layering on top of posts.

You may not be worried about the gift but repeated posts on how worthless they are may give readers a different impression. For the record, I agree with RB that they could have just given expansions and that would be fine. Considering the drama that some are creating around an extra item (worthless or not) makes me think that SSG would have been smarter to do so and more likely to do so in the future.

Lazuli

Repeated posts? No more than you trying to convince people that it's a good deal. I made exactly two posts on the other topic, the second responding to a player who quoted my first post. Here you see the ones I have put. One explaining why people do not consider these elixirs valuable and then the response to Sardonic. I haven't posted any more posts.

So... let's not exaggerate, huh? You haven't made fewer posts than me.

mordek

What does a discovery pot cost? They aren't available in the store so do we actually know the cost? I would guess if they were sold it would be more than 99 pts.
They can be aquired from Improved Ottos Boxes and DDO Points purchases. If you catch an DDO Point sale the value on them is relatively cheap in comparison to purchasing a XPack. But the point is they are more or less useless a 60 minute pot is only good for maybe 4 or 5 end chests at best and thats doing it fast. If you want to run it on a high reaper its maybe 3 if you are lucky

Ahpuch

Repeated posts? No more than you trying to convince people that it's a good deal. I made exactly two posts on the other topic, the second responding to a player who quoted my first post. Here you see the ones I have put. One explaining why people do not consider these elixirs valuable and then the response to Sardonic. I haven't posted any more posts.

So... let's not exaggerate, huh? You haven't made fewer posts than me
Sorry to misrepresent your postings. I guess I just remembered them more and I should have validated better what you had posted.

But for the record, I don't think it is a good deal and I don't think I have said they are. I DO think that bitching how awful they are and saying they are an offense to players is silly (not that you are saying that). Nothing would not have been an offense and these are at least as good as nothing.

Volarr

So if you have no argument that has any merit. By all means try to insult the person you are in a debate with and show us all how small minded you are.

I'm patiently waiting for your next insult.