EK Warforged build

geltril

I'm really enjoying playing my solo Eldrich knight warforged wizard build but cant play on elite to maximize gear farming. I have him in adamantine armor with a tower shield and still no spell casting failure chance. He uses a Bastard Sword. Favorite spells are Meteor swarm, wail of the banshee and cold light of the moon for aoe and polar ray and black dragon bolt for long distance single target. Ive noticed that as I levelled, I accumulated a lot of feats and enhancements/destinies which overlap with each other so I want to do lesser reincarnation to clean that up. Then Im going to hopefully gear farm on elite at cap to get what I need for future TR/RR.
Aoe DPS is ok but bosses take forever. And he doesnt survive 5 minutes on elite, although Hard is generally a breeze. He's level 31 now. RR once so second life. Rogue 1/Fighter1(for the extra feat)/18 wizard.

My main focus right now is picking the right feats and skills since I cant change those as easily later. I dont think I need fighter so either 2 rogue/18 wizard or more likely 1rogue/19wizard.

Pano

Hi, EK player here.

19/1 wiz/rogue is nonsense as 19th wizard gives you nothing. My advice is to go Pure for capstone in EK. If you play as robot, go tier 3 or 4 in racial tree and go for int to hit and dmg and int trance in Harper tree. I would argue undead EK is stronger though. For feats it depends, with maxed out gear, full sentient jewel, bunch of PLs and tomes, I am able to get to 116 DCs on Necro and Enchantment spells in reaper. Since you are just at the begining of the game grind I guess, go with melee DPS and cast spells mainly for heals and buffs, you cant build for spell dmg spell DC and melee dmg at the same time. Bastard sword is a good choice. If you want to optimise endgame, go with SWF line - single weapon fighting. You dont need stat prerequizite for that - only balance skill - and you can go full int and con. At lvl 31 Pick 2hf specialization - this way your bastard sword will count as both swf and 2hf and you will get strikethrough. Get a decent endgame weapon first (ravenloft bastard at least). Try to max out int, to-hit, deadly, spell power. I would suggest to go acid imbue. Get stone shoes from red rain for that and enhancement corrosion from whatever. If you want to get high spell DCs for CC and IKs, you basicaly have to go with part of the family set, magewright set and fill the rest with 5 piece IoD set. This way you can easily get profane and sacred DC from IoD gear and artifact, enhancement, insightfull DC from magewright while still having melee set as your main.

For the rest of the feats, go with extend and quicken as wizard feats, go SWF line, Bastard proficiency (must have) - so you need either str tome or start with sufficient str, dodge+mobility+spring attack is nice to have. Go with mythril plating or just with none - and maximize your dodge and pick evasion from shadowdancer destiny. Pick insightful reflexes - especialy if you have evasion. At epic lvls take overwhelming crit, Improved critical: slashing (you have BAB for that only in epics), perfect SWF, doublestrike, as your legendary feat, go with something that gives you imbu dice. I would suggest earth for 20 PRR.

Use spells for attacks that dont have saves for building up your physical DMG (EK tier 4 and 5 enhancements). For acid this is black dragon bold and Melf acid arrow. Use both cleaves from EK all the time.

Hope this helps and sorry for my chaotic thinking, it is late here.

Kryxal

If you want traps, I'd say 2 rogue is a go-to and use light armour/mithril body or even nothing. The point here is evasion, which means you'll want Insightful Reflexes too. If you don't care about that, add 2 levels of Artificer if you still want traps or go pure.

Pano

If you want traps, I'd say 2 rogue is a go-to and use light armour/mithril body or even nothing. The point here is evasion, which means you'll want Insightful Reflexes too. If you don't care about that, add 2 levels of Artificer if you still want traps or go pure.
Yes, as I say - for evasion only I would argue the pure EK is better because you can get evasion from shadowdancer. But if you want traps, then sure 18/2 is a good choice.

FuzzyDuck81

Since you're playing at high levels, I'd definitely recommend picking up arcane pulse - it has a short cooldown so it's really easy & forgiving to build up multiple stacks quickly & tier 4 in magus destiny will let it stack up to 7x instead of 5.

As another option, it's very hard to go wrong with primal avatar using the thorn path as carrion swarm is a powerful AoE DoT, shard storm is a solid damage dealer & absorber (temp HP) & the mantle will proc on both spells & melee attacks for DPS - shared mantle will let any summons & hirelings also get the extra damage procs so if you can get a tar-augmented weapon from IoD those oozes will give a surprisingly decent boost.

geltril

I have +8 to all stats so I have flexibilty. Int is my highest stat though so int to hit and damage is a great idea.

Im a bit surprised that the consensus is to go with light armor and evasion rather than heavy armor/tower shield for better ac and sheltering.

Also, I thought single weapon and two handed were mutually exclusive. Right now I am at 200% strikethrough with TWF which seems to be the sweetspot. EDIT: I looked at the feat and it looks awesome. I'll have to look into finding a way to get strikthrough to 200% again TY much.

Rogue is more for open locks for me. Is there an open lock spell for chests?

Extend and quicken? What about maximize and intensify?

Talk me out of fury of the wild destiny mantle just for the HP regeneration. I would love to explore another tree but I just cant give it up.

Pano

I have +8 to all stats so I have flexibilty. Int is my highest stat though so int to hit and damage is a great idea.
Great, use int to dmg and to-hit from harper then. I wouldnt recommend int to to-hit from EK tree as there are better things in EK tree to take

Im a bit surprised that the consensus is to go with light armor and evasion rather than heavy armor/tower shield for better ac and sheltering.
Yes, Evasion rules espicialy at endgame. As an EK, you can get around 200 PRR with light armor and maybe 250 with Heavy.
200 -> 66.6% reduction
250 -> 71.4% reduction -> this relativly 7% percent better then 200 PRR
With evasion you can NEGATE ALL dmg from most spells. Thats why it is better on its own, but you can get much higher dodge as well.
Dodge is the best defensivbe stat at endgame and it is capped by your maximum armor dexterity bonus.
With tower shield you can get 4% dodge. With light armor you can get up to 25%.

Also, I thought single weapon and two handed were mutually exclusive. Right now I am at 200% strikethrough with TWF which seems to be the sweetspot. EDIT: I looked at the feat and it looks awesome. I'll have to look into finding a way to get strikthrough to 200% again TY much.
Yes, for easier leveling you can go with 2hf line and pick SWF specialization at 31. The other way around gives better DPS at end game, since Perfect Single Weapon Fighting works nicely with some effects I am using (Fatesinger's Reign, feareater augment). Don't bother with strikethrough much for endgame. Hiting 2 targets consistently (actualy 2.6 targets per hit) is enough IMO and I would focus on other stuff.

Yes, and it works for most chests even at endgame

As I stated, although you can build into some good spellpower (around 800-900 is where I am at with my own buffs), you will use it mainly for spellsword imbue. For spell DMG to scale well into an endgame, you need to boost spell's crit profiles as well as DCs - thats extremely gear intensive and I wouldnt recommend that. I was able to get more then decent DCs but with many compromisis and I dont have space for spell crit profile. (although, I am swapping 8 pieces of gear to cast death auras with greensteel procs and 50% crit chance and 80% crit dmg, since death auras take the spellpower and crit profile from the time you cast them).
If you build your EK correctle for melee dmg, you would be hitting around 3 hits per second for around 6K each on average to 2-3 targets. Acid well deals the same as 1 hit for me without criting. Sword dmg is just superior if you build for it. (But I have to admit my usual strategy for quests with huge packs of mobs (slavers for example) is to cast Hold mass and then Acid well while running into the pack, then jumping into the pack and eldritch strike and eldritch cleave)

Me personaly, I am taking embolden and highten - but I would bother only if you can do around 100 DC on hold mass, otherwise just pick something else.

PS: Death auras doesnt take maximaze and intensify. Reconstruct also takes none of those.

Talk me out of fury of the wild destiny mantle just for the HP regeneration. I would love to explore another tree but I just cant give it up.
Fury of the wild is decent choice for melee dmg. I am using Fatesinger, because I need to be in hybrid destiny, to get +3 to all spells DC AND +1 crit on 19-20 -> that is fatesinger, shadowdancer, and machrotechnic. I went fatesinger for cut the strings which is INSANE if you have the DC.
Cut the string is basicaly an oh sh*t button, that freezes everything with huge AoE and lets you kill stuff by touching it with your sword. If you hit a boss with it, you will deal 100 sonic dmg per hit - times sonic spell power, times sonic vulnaribility which your mantle is causing, times doublestrike, times Greensteel MRR debuffs == around 5k per hit just from the sonic bonus.
Also, I did the math again and for slow attacking builds, FotW is the best DPS destiny, for fast attacking builds legendary dreadnaught might be better.

OTHER IDEAS:
If you go with legendary dreadnaught, fast attacking goes nicely with action boost regeneration. On my monk in LD destiny, I had basicaly infinity haste boosts. So try to invest 8 points in vistany (or 12 points for doublestrike as well) and pick haste boost with LD for infinite attack speed. this is more DPS for fast attacking folks then FotW - do your math or just believe me. I personally am not in vistany though, because I Value my instakills and CC more than DPS boost. I Pick 2 more int and +2 necro and +2 enchantment from PM instead.

Last edited:

FuzzyDuck81

The knock spell is handy, though there's a practical ceiling for the DCs you can achieve vs. investing in open lock as a class skill

Quicken makes spells uninterruptable as well as casting faster so it can be anything from a big help to a near-necessity at high levels. Extend is something you can do without at a pinch, it just makes buff management somewhat easier. I take maximise & intensify on an EK, though usually that'll be at higher levels to boost various SLAs & epic destiny abilities.

fury mantle self healing is nice, but have you considered the benefits of your attacks & spells having a good chance of big damage procs that finish your enemy much faster meaning less healing is required? if you go shadowdancer, your concealment from that will stack with displacement & combined with the incorporeality will make you great at avoiding harm in the first place. For a warforged EK especially, the new macrotechnic destiny has some solid options for a weapon & rune arm user too.

Pano

So I would need to ditch the shield and go Orb or nothing?
I am going orb, because I can craft enhancement heal AND negative heal amp on IoD orb. And EK tree gives you +3 saves with orbs.
Rune arms + macrotree might be better if you are robot.
But generaly, Shield gives you some little PRR and caps your dodge. Nothing or orb or runearm gives you SWF feat line (if you take it or if you take swf specialization at 31) which equals 30% more dmg. - that is a hard one to top

Pano

Im thinking I could ditch the draconic incarnation line also.
I would take it just for the 3 imbue dice. definitely an option. but the cores are not giving you melee power... I would prefer definitely macrotechnic since the cores gives melee PR and there is also imbue dice as well as double strike.

Dont forget that one epic destiny (shadowdancer) is locked if you want to get evasion while going pure

Zaszgul

Do you ever use Sleet Storm?

If you have Freedom of Movement, or just Immunity to Slippery Surfaces, you can fight inside Sleet Storm with no negative effects. Most mobs though will be blinded, no save, making it much easier to survive in melee and also granting you free sneak attacks.

FuzzyDuck81

Do you ever use Sleet Storm?

If you have Freedom of Movement, or just Immunity to Slippery Surfaces, you can fight inside Sleet Storm with no negative effects. Most mobs though will be blinded, no save, making it much easier to survive in melee and also granting you free sneak attacks.
it's a handy spell for sure - xoriat eyeballs are instakilled by blindness effects too :)

geltril

Dont forget that one epic destiny (shadowdancer) is locked if you want to get evasion while going pure

Sorry, that part has got me confused.

Pano

Sorry, that part has got me confused.

I have meant, that you can choose only 2 destinies yourself, if you want to get evasion. Because evasion is only in shadowdancer, so shadowdancer is kind of must have for pure EK. Thats why I said it is 'locked'.

unbongwah

So I would need to ditch the shield and go Orb or nothing?
If you're willing to lesser reincarnate at levels 31-32, you would have better melee DPS with bastard swords switching from S&B to Single Weapon Fighting feat chain (+30% attack speed, higher damage modifier, double vorpal range) plus THF Specialty (+120% Strikethrough). Offhand Versatility gives +1 Imbue dice with an orb equipped, which is pretty meh but every extra die helps.

Obviously the tradeoff is losing the defensive benefits from shields. But sometimes the best defense is upping your offense so you clear mobs faster. If you're still interested in S&B wizard, see this thread for advice.

Pano

If you're willing to lesser reincarnate at levels 31-32, you would have better melee DPS with bastard swords switching from S&B to Single Weapon Fighting feat chain (+30% attack speed, higher damage modifier, double vorpal range) plus THF Specialty (+120% Strikethrough). Offhand Versatility gives +1 Imbue dice with an orb equipped, which is pretty meh but every extra die helps.

Obviously the tradeoff is losing the defensive benefits from shields. But sometimes the best defense is upping your offense so you clear mobs faster. If you're still interested in S&B wizard, see this thread for advice.
True, but sadly I dont think you have space for offhand versatility
you have 4 destiny feats and I would argue the best are: Doublestrike, perfect swf, harbinger of chaos, 2hf specialization.
When they increase the lvl cap to 34 and we will get 1 more destiny feat the best one on the list is arcane warrior.
- as always, I did the math :D

unbongwah

True, but sadly I dont think you have space for offhand versatility
It's easier to pull off on wizard 18 / Dark Hunter 1 / fighter 1 due to hitting BAB 8 by level 15 and BAB 11 at level 20.
SWF Kundarak EKnight Trapper
18/1/1 Wizard/Fighter/Dark Hunter
Chaotic Neutral Dwarf

Level Order

1. Dark Hunter . . 6. Wizard. . . . .11. Wizard. . . . .16. Wizard
2. Wizard . . . . .7. Wizard . . . . 12. Wizard . . . . 17. Wizard
3. Wizard . . . . .8. Wizard . . . . 13. Wizard . . . . 18. Wizard
4. Wizard . . . . .9. Wizard . . . . 14. Wizard . . . . 19. Wizard
5. Wizard . . . . 10. Wizard . . . . 15. Wizard . . . . 20. Fighter

Stats
. . . . . . . .28pt . . 32pt. . .Tome. . .Level Up
. . . . . . . .---- . . ----. . .---- . . --------
Strength. . . . .8. . . . 8 . . . . . . . .4: INT
Dexterity . . . 14. . . .14 . . . . . . . .8: INT
Constitution. . 16. . . .18 . . . . . . . 12: INT
Intelligence. . 18. . . .18 . . . +2 . . .16: INT
Wisdom. . . . . .8. . . . 8 . . . . . . . 20: INT
Charisma. . . . .6. . . . 6 . . . . . . . 24: INT
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 28: INT

Feats

.1. . . . : Single Weapon Fighting
.1 DarkH. :
.2 Wizard :
Maximize Spell
.3. . . . : Precision
.6. . . . : Insightful Reflexes
.6 Wizard : Quicken Spell
.9. . . . : Knight's Training
11 Wizard : Empower Spell
12. . . . : Improved Single Weapon Fighting
15. . . . : Improved Critical: Slashing
16 Wizard : Heighten Spell
18. . . . : Offhand Versatility
20 Fighter: Greater Single Weapon Fighting
21 Epic . : Overwhelming Critical
22 Destiny: Perfect Single Weapon Fighting
24 Epic . : Burst of Glacial Wrath
25 Destiny: Crush Weakness OR First Blood
27 Epic . :
28 Destiny:
Arcane Warrior OR Harbinger of Chaos
30 Epic . :
30 Legend :
Scion of: Plane of Fire
31 Destiny: Two Handed Specialty OR Harbinger of Chaos
Dwarves get dwarven axes for free. Warforged is tighter on feats since you'd need to take exotic weapon proficiency if you still want to use hand-and-a-half weapons; and you probably want Adamantine or Mithral Body.