Farming strategies

Grimstad

When farming a named item, what strategies do you use? How many levels above the quest level do you run it at (not caring about any xp)? How do you avoid ransack? Do you run it at N, H, Elite, or reaper?

It seems we can only run a quest 8 times in any given week before a ransack penalty takes hold and named items stop dropping, and that doesn't seem sufficient to get a named item to drop.

Dandonk

This is not the title you're looking for
Alt account(s), as high diff as I can manage on my own, run until ransack...

and when I've done that, and still haven't gotten the item, I use the same set I have for several years and stop worrying about it. By the Dark Six, I hate farming gear that never drops...

Dragavon

The chance to get named items is higher on higher difficulties, so always run the highest difficulty you can manage, preferably reaper.

Mornyngstar

R1 if you can. If you go higher, it only increases the drop rate by 1% per reaper level. I have alt toons that I keep running thru the new content for the favor. This helps farm items over time, but most people don't run 18+ alts thru. (Still working on the other 6 to get all content done on them).

Mickeymouse

always reaper for a slim chance of reaper bonus. (for some odd reason r1 seems 'luckier' for me then r1+) Ransack is only the amount of times you have opened the chest, after 8 your ransacked and can´t get any named items.

Abax11

If the item is Bound to Character, as long as you don't equip it, you can put it in the shared bank, correct?

If the item is BTC you can't put it on the shared bank, is binded to the character that looted it. Some items are BTC on equip(which is a differente category) so while you don't equip them to any toon can be shared throught shared bank.

Most raid gear is BTC for example.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
put a LFM up, run on r1, ask for pass. The more people you have on team, the more pulls at no cost to you. It is not uncommon to have people join to help.
^ yes and no to this method. LFMs are amazing and the way to go, more people to pass = greater odds. But I find listing on r1 questionable at times for legendary quest gear farms. At cap, there's an entire crowd that does reapers on high skulls for 1st time bonuses that don't want to lose that by running a r1; so depending on who's around and willing to join LFMs to pass loot, running LE may get more folks to join up.

Mornyngstar

^ yes and no to this method. LFMs are amazing and the way to go, more people to pass = greater odds. But I find listing on r1 questionable at times for legendary quest gear farms. At cap, there's an entire crowd that does reapers on high skulls for 1st time bonuses that don't want to lose that by running a r1; so depending on who's around and willing to join LFMs to pass loot, running LE may get more folks to join up.
I have run into this before and what normally happens is they ask, "Can we run this on R? so I can get my first-time bonus?". Most of my toons are good for R1-R4 and I normally inform people that if it is above what I can handle that they will have to carry me. Most of the time they understand and are willing to. After the first run they are ok with dropping the Reaper level down for faster runs but still have it above R1, normally R4 is what they like. Now this is my experience on Thelanis and the other servers may be different.

(As a note I am looking at all the people for the times I got dragged thru R8+ quests on my poor first life Cleric/Favored Soul/Bards, with less then 15 reaper points.)

Jhml

When farming a named item, what strategies do you use? How many levels above the quest level do you run it at (not caring about any xp)? How do you avoid ransack? Do you run it at N, H, Elite, or reaper?

It seems we can only run a quest 8 times in any given week before a ransack penalty takes hold and named items stop dropping, and that doesn't seem sufficient to get a named item to drop.
If the item is upgradeable, I run the grindy thingie on heroic elite, with (preferably vastly) overlevel toons for quickness. I then farm the whatevers needed for upgrade with a max level toon. Can't avoid the ransack, so numerous toons or some good luck needed.

Br4d

Run on Reaper 1.
5 multiboxed alts dragged to end as dead toons and rezzed in place.
reroll the end chest on everyone.
Drink loot boost potions if availalbe

If you are farming an item and there is a reroll possibility definitely use it.

When I was looking for Mists of Ravenloft loot I rerolled every chest that did not have a named item in it, sometimes more than once, until I got one. It cost a bunch of shards but I got every piece I wanted over a month long farm.

saekee

long live ROGUE
This—weirdly, do the following:
1) post that you are looking for X item, start quest on Legendary elite
2) people might join. Then, if you don’t get it, some will suggest trying it on reaper
3) someone in the group will be high-reaper capable and so you redo it on R8-10, open up LFM. If no one can do high reaper, go back to 1)
4) if you STILL don’t get it, the same group might just repeat on R1

I did this with a group on Cannith the other day looking for a sentient jewel for a new player out of WPM. Breezed it on elite; some said Hey let’s do it on reaper—since I was the only capped player we did it R6; much bloodshed of players and a smaller rez scroll pile later, we finished (In the end, no sentient jewel dropped…Well, not the most inspiring story…)

Last edited:

AbyssalMage

Run on highest difficulty you can handle
Make Soul Stones out of accounts 2 & 3 (if practical)
Burn the quest down
Loot up to 24 times and hope it drops
Come back a week later because it didn't drop 😠

Took me 80+ chests to get cloak out of Wake Me Up 😐
Took me 100+ chests for Jibbers. Run TTT on R4+ and save your sanity. The 4% drop increase is noticeable for Jibbers.
72+ chests on HC and no FoM heroic boots.

Yeah, the RNG can be vicious.