Generalist Air Savant

Anniyon

I see a lot of fire and water savants on my server and thought I'd go ahead and post the build I'm using at endgame for air. Air savant has always been one of my favorite specs in ddo and I hope other people will try it out and enjoy it too. When I say Generalist what I mean is that it can contribute dps, instant kills, CC and even a bit of healing with Coccon and Shouting. This build takes advantage of the fact that Air Savant buffs both lightning and sonic spells, something I feel is often overlooked. I feel Cut the Strings is a very underrated ability not only for CCing groups of mobs and instant killing (it works on pretty much anything without death ward or orange/red/purple named bosses including constructs and undead) but it also adds a fair bit of boss dps. Air savant also naturally applies vulnerability and can also reduce enemy AC by up to 15 with fatesinger harmonic resonance. Without further ado here's the build.

Race: Dragonborn (racial completionist) otherwise human or any race with charisma works well
Class: 20 Sorcerer

Feats
Heroic
1. Maximize
3. Empower
6. Quicken
9. Past Life: Arcane Initiate
12. Spell Focus: Evocation
15. Greater Spell Focus: Evocation
18. Heighten

Epic
21. Epic Spell Focus: Evocation
22. Epic Spell Power: Electric
24. Burst of Glacial Wrath
25. Epic Spell Power: Sonic
27. Master of Music
28. Epic Spell Power: Cold
30. Embolden
30 (Legendary). Scion of the Plane of Air. Could try Scion of the Feywild too for more sonic focus over lightning
31. Spell Specialty: Illusion. Could do Enchantment here too.

Spell List:
1: Shield, Nightshield, Jump, Sonic Blast
2: Web, Knock, Invisibility, Gust of Wind
3: Displacement, Rage, Magic Circle Against Evil, Suggestion
4: Phantasmal Killer, Dimension Door, Shout, Enervation
5: Ball Lightning, Teleport, Protection from Elements, Prismatic Ray
6: Chain Lightning, Greater Heroism, Undeath to Death
7: Otto's Sphere of Dancing, Finger of Death, Prismatic Spray
8: Trap the Soul, Greater Shout, Power Word: Stun
9: Thunderstroke, Iceberg, Hold Monster Mass

Enhancements and Epic Destiny

Spell schools taken were Illusion in Fatesinger, Evocation in Draconic and Enchantment in Primal Avatar.

For gear I'll list sets followed by the pieces used to achieve that set then the rest after those. I will not bother posting curses as its far too random.

Echoes of the Walking Ancestors (+3 Artifact spell dc's and +3 artifact ability scores): Head, Armor, Cloak

Head: Dinosaur Bone Helmet: 35% sonic spell crit damage. Sapphire of Defense +36, Diamond of Intelligence +14

Armor: Dinosaur Bone Mail (Light Armor): Goldscale (150% fortification), Voidfang (+15 exceptional universal spellpower), Horn is Profane Spell DC's. Slotted with Pomura's Momento, Essence of the Epic Litany of the Dead.

Cloak: Walking Ancestor's Shroud: This is mainly for +3 insightful spell focus however if you lack charisma goggles with +15 then this will fill charisma as well which is perfectly fine.

Chained Elementals (30 Artifact lightning and cold spellpower and 6% artifact spell critical chance for lightning and cold): 2 Rings

Bound Elemental Ring of Frost: 148 cold spellpower, 22% cold spell critical chance as this build uses thundersnow, iceberg and the primal avatar mantle. It also has some nice extra spellpoints on it as well. Slotted with Diamond of Con +14 and Diamond of Insightful Con +5

Bound Elemental Ring of Lightning: This covers lightning spellpower and spell crit chance. Slotted with Sapphire of Resistance +11 and Topaz of Greater Enchantment

Elder's Knowledge (6% universal spell critical chance and 15% legendary spell critical damage): Trinket, Neck

Legendary Elder's Focus: 1 extra illusion dc over cloak, 277 wizardry, the rest is covered elsewhere or doesn't do anything for this build. Slotted with Sapphire of Healing Amplification, Diamond of the Magi (100 insightful wizardry)

Legendary Gem of Many Facets: Resonance 153, 22% sonic spell critical chance, Insightful Magnetism 76. Slotted with Topaz of Greater Illusion.

The rest of the gear is not part of any sets.

Goggles: Random gen +15 charisma, +9 spell pen, Blue slot with +5 insightful charisma. Off the top of my head can be replaced with https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Legendary_Study_Spectacles for a little more spellpower.

Belt: Legendary Black Satin Waist used for quality spell focus +2. Slotted with Festive Charisma

Gloves: Legendary Birchlore Gauntlets. Everything on this item is useful, vitality, devotion and healing lore to help with shout healing and cocoon. Slotted with Cold Spell crit damage, Topaz of Greater Necromancy and Diamond of Spellcraft +20

Boots: Legendary Sunken Slippers. Used for Insightful 49 and quality 24 potency. Slotted with Topaz of Greater Evocation

Artifact Bracers: 35% electric spell critical damage, +2 sacred dc's. Slotted with Sapphire of False Life +54, Globe of True Imperial Blood, Topaz of Greater Conjuration.

Finally I have chosen a dinosaur bone Quarterstaff for the weapon. I have not crafted a boss damage set of weapons so there is no weapon swapping at this time.

Quarterstaff: Shadowscale (10% spell cost reduction, while in a staff +2 exceptional spell dc's), Iridescent Fang (+5 equipment spell dc's, while in a staff +5% exceptional spell critical chance), Sparkclaw (+2 exceptional charisma), Brighthorn (chance for 1000 temp hp)
Slotted with a meridian fragment.

Flamehorn results in more damage and when I get around to crafting a boss damage swap this is what I will use. Currently I solo a lot and the temp hp is very much worth it for soloing in my experience.

Filligree set up:
Bracer: +2 charisma (To hell and back/Embraced by light)
+2 charisma (Sanctified Fervor/Reverberation),
+1 charisma (Otto's Irrevocable Power),
+1 charisma (Lunar Magic)

Weapon: +2 charisma (To hell and back/Embraced by light),
+2 charisma (Sanctified Fervor/Reverberation),
+1 charisma (Otto's Irrevocable Power),
+1 charisma (Lunar Magic),
-10% spell failure reduction (Otto's Irrevocable Power) this is necessary for the light armor we wear
+1 con (Otto's Irrevocable Power)
Universal Spellpower (Lunar Magic)
MRR (Lunar Magic)
Wisdom (Lunar Magic): this one doesn't matter so long as it's part of the Lunar Magic Set
Universal Spellpower (Reverberation)

This results in +12 charisma, +40 universal spell power, another +20 for sonic for a total of +60 sonic, +4 to all dc's and +300 spellpoints along with other minor benefits like +5 mrr from otto's etc.

I tried Eye of the Beholder with a +1 charisma Reverberation and +1 charisma Embraced by light which resulted in +1 dc but am currently trying the Lunar Magic and USP reverberation for more overall spellpower.

Important stats in reaper (note I have 124 reaper points so your stats may vary):

Hp: 2618 (2702 with rage and yugo pot)
SP: 6618
PRR: 156
MRR: 87

Con: 66 (70 with rage and yugo pot)
Cha: 108 (112 with remnant and yugo pot)

Spell dc's with pots running: Evo 128, Enchant 117, Conjuration 119, Illusion 125, Necro 113, (+3 to all when using Reaper boost)

Spellpowers without meta's or spellpower pots: 1020 electric 70% crit chance 100% crit damage,
947 sonic 65% crit chance, 85% crit damage,
843 cold 60% crit chance 70% crit damage,
765 positive 45% crit chance 40% crit damage.

Thank you for reading and if you have any suggestions or comments they are welcome.

Last edited:

DBZ

Nice write up have to ask on average how much did the legendary gomf cost just curious

Anniyon

I believe it took somewhere between 15 and 20 rerolls. The second set doesn't matter for this build.

Reactions: DBZ

DBZ

Not even a profane set if you did want insta kills later on with MD

Sorc insta killer with the new arch type at the end of the year could be real good

Anniyon

Profane stats +2 is provided by the Litany Augment in the armor. The armor also provides +2 profane spell dc's through the dino horn. Unless you meant the Vecna set providing +3 stat and +3 dc which would overall be a +1 increase over my current set up. Or maybe something altogether I'm misinterpreting.

DBZ

Just waiting on md to finish the next tetris

MD and 3-5 profane set depending with elders or xx

Anniyon

As far as I know the only thing a profane set would provide would be PRR as the reaper spell power boost is also typed as profane. 25 on set vs 45 on reaper boost but the added survivability would be nice. Unless of course the new sets will provide more. Just have to wait until they are revealed I suppose.

why would you go t5 fatesinger and not take turn the tide?
not sure why t5 fatesinger over draconic+ruins+minute wellspring, slot force multi/crit over sonic
noticed too you dont even have wellspring...and instead took master of music...?
not sure why staff on dps caster
not sure why hybrid, just go lightning
too much focus on spell dcs, drop 5 lunar magic for 5 dragonsoul
not sure why random 15 charisma goggles (your belt has spell pen), can slot 15 charisma on dino artifact and wear LGS goggles to replace the crit multi lost on artifact, slot int skills on other 2 tiers (spellcraft)

warlock player

Bit of a confusing build. If you're tryna maximise dps you should do x2 sticks along with lightning savant debuff. And then you want wellspring. This looks like some druid main player wanted sorcerer fling.

Anniyon

why would you go t5 fatesinger and not take turn the tide?
not sure why t5 fatesinger over draconic+ruins+minute wellspring, slot force multi/crit over sonic
noticed too you dont even have wellspring...and instead took master of music...?
not sure why staff on dps caster
not sure why hybrid, just go lightning
too much focus on spell dcs, drop 5 lunar magic for 5 dragonsoul
not sure why random 15 charisma goggles (your belt has spell pen), can slot 15 charisma on dino artifact and wear LGS goggles to replace the crit multi lost on artifact, slot int skills on other 2 tiers (spellcraft)
Turn the tide is a good, will grab in 1 or 2 more epic reincarnations when I get the extra point Thank you for pointing that out.

I didn't go draconic because max dps isn't the point of the build.

Master of music buffs the damage and healing of both greater shout and shout which are further buffed by fatesinger. I regularly use both of these spells.

Staff covers higher dc's and exceptional spell crit chance.

Hybrid because I wanted to.

Higher spell dc's because spellcaster dps suffers in higher reapers and when in a group why not bring insta kills and cc to make melee that much stronger, and a bit of healing. Can still obviously dps bosses but why bother on trash when melee will massacre everything before you can.

Dragonsoul can obviously be slotted on a weapon swap for higher damage. Currently in the process of making a dps swap, need about 15k more sentient xp to max second gem.

15 cha on goggles because it rounds out charisma and then can slot 35% spell crit for both sonic and lightning. No LGS because I do not like Shroud.

Hope this clarifies some things you were asking about.

Last edited:

Anniyon

Bit of a confusing build. If you're tryna maximise dps you should do x2 sticks along with lightning savant debuff. And then you want wellspring. This looks like some druid main player wanted sorcerer fling.
I never said I was trying to maximize dps. When taking wellspring and potentially maxing dps why not just go draconic or magus and go ice. By the logic of this being a druid main doing a sorcerer fling I could say that a wellspring draconic sorcerer is just an alchemist main having a sorcerer dps fling.

Just because things use similar feats and destinies doesn't mean they do the exact same things. In fact they can do very different things. You're trying to make the build out to be something it's not. It was never intended to maximize dps. It was meant to try something different and utilize the hybrid nature of air savant.

Hope that clarifies.

Last edited:

kemton

Yes on a Druid I take shard storm but on sorc it feels like reborn in the fire was the only option I had for topping up hp.

I question the spell selection in heroic. Teleport and Greater Heroism can both be scrolled easily, freeing up your lvl 5 slot for DOT and lvl 6 for Otiluke's.