Hardcore Season 10 Suggestion

Contessor

How about introducing particular challenges in HCL? The scavenger hunt thing was a fun twist, but I was thinking of a more thematical challenge with a sweet, sweet cosmetic.

HCL Season 10
Only difficulty enabled this season is reaper 1 for all. Same level restrictions apply. First life characters can only run reaper 1, second life can only open reaper 2 and third life can only run reaper 3.

If you can get to 20 on your third life, you win the challenge and get rewarded a special cosmetic, coveted by the entire game population. Bloody, Broken Angel Wings. They have to look super cool with the best artwork available.

Helloween

1- Raise the level for 2nd favor prize to 6.000 ( 5.000 is not a challenge)
2- Keep the 2 levels above limit
3- Create a challenge champion or extra mob like the hound in HC6. Last season made all the champs easier than live servers.
4 - Put extra prizes like the dragon hoard hunt, with parts only on Reaper or at least elite for regular quests, and put it on the raids to get the 2nd tier prize.
5- Give top-level prizes like weapons, augments, or tomes that can be brought to live servers.
6- Give extra favor for doing all options of the quests
7- 1 extra life token to be used only inside the shroud
8- Create extra traps that appear randomly on HC.

Last edited:
This is too involved to develop, but:

HCL 10: Polymorphed Pariahs
Players start in the displeasure of Hirsam's throneroom from Immortality Lessons, and are polymorphed into one of three set builds of their choice as punishment. They play as underpowered enemies, getting rewards for beating a series of otherwise unchanged quests. Complete all three successfully for each set of quests to get an account-based reward.

Beat all quests levels 1-3 as:
1) A kobold sorc (magic missile at level 1, shield at level 2, lightning bolt at level 3. All SLAs for 1sp, but with normal CDs)
2) An undead rat barbarian (bite that self heals as a small HoT at level 1, bite that puts on a dot at level 2, bite that consumes stacks of dots for 10 dmg/stack at level 3)
3) An undead cleric (cure/inflict wounds at level 1, bless at level 2, searing light at level 3

Sample rewards (for 1st/2nd/3rd run, which must be different set types):
1) elixir of discovery (for first race completion of levels 1-3, awarded 1/account)
2) 1x 1.1 million xp stone (enough to level a first life character to 15, or third life character to 11). For completion of 1-3 with 2 different set builds, 1/account.
3) 1x cosmetic helm (makes your face look like a kobold/undead/rat), for completing 1-3 challenge as all 3 set builds, account wide unlock through the hardcore vendor.

Do similar challenges for other quest series or level ranges, possibly targetting the least played zones.
Don't create animations for the models. All players advance in set builds but play with the skin of a model. Design builds with groupwork in mind, possibly with dps/tank/healer at each level. When finished, bring it back as a recurring event on live without the permadeath as a polymorph event, possibly for event tokens of an existing event.

Mary

I like whatever encourages us to participate as friends and discourages us from participating as rivals - we can see, very clearly, from the leaderboards, who among us are the best players - you guys are truly amazing at this game -as someone who's played since beta and knows it well, I am in awe. I learn something new every season. And all of the leaderboard folks are very nice and friendly people too - I rather think encouraging that friendship fits our small community better. The scavenger hunt was a great twist to encourage players to work together. What I see running a very large guild is hundreds of players who love DDO and they speak of how they wish they had more time to play. Many are older with jobs and families, Many only play a few times a week. Whatever it is we want to keep DDO feeling like every player can be part of the experience, even if they are not able to play every day.

Justfungus

If they were in a rush and wanted something simple but challenging, they could just do this.
Standard HCL rules
the usual awards
Turn on mimics
Give all Kobold throwers light repeating crossbows and teach them how to use them.
Call the season, Kobolds still hate you.
Maybe throw in a few more Champions on elite.
Done deal.

Sevens

Suggestions to have both a 3K favor and a 6K favor reward. (maybe 6k be a better version than 3K, such as regular horse vs fast horse or regular fun cosmetic item, same item but with an extra aura, etc.).
Have an xp gem that can be transferred to another server. Let's say 300K to reach level 24. Or whatever is reasonable. Large enough to be interesting but not that big that it becomes a major goal.
With those two additional rewards, 6K and for level 24 could keep things interesting for longer on the HC server.

Aelonwy

I am going to continue to advocate for HC themes to match the planes of Eberron and will just quote myself here:

I thought this was going to be about the HC themes. IMHO, I think at first they should correspond to the 13 planes that co-exist with Eberron. So far the original season doesn't match anything but the next was clearly Shavarath, then we had probably Irian with the Celestial season, then we had Dal Quor, then a redux of S1, then Thelanis, then redux of S2, then this Dragon Hoard season which admittedly doesn't correspond to the planes. But the idea of the seasons rotating back around matches the idea of the planes being coterminous with Eberron in a cycle.

Matching the planes with HC seasons allows for future seasons to correspond with Mabar, Daanvi, Syrania, Dolurrh, Fernia, Kythri, Lamannia, Risia, and Xoriat.

If you want a really rough HC Season next I suggest Xoriat, but Daanvi or Kythri could encourage special alignment rules or preclude certain opposing classes, and then there is Mabar perhaps giving all mobs undead traits of increased fortification, healing from negative energy, could give them all the bonuses with none of the cons for undead mobs. Maybe all outdoors are nighttime the whole season. Syrania and Lamannia might be on the easier side unless Lamannia gives ALL animals/lycanthropes super powers.

I dont Like gimps

This is too involved to develop, but:

HCL 10: Polymorphed Pariahs
Players start in the displeasure of Hirsam's throneroom from Immortality Lessons, and are polymorphed into one of three set builds of their choice as punishment. They play as underpowered enemies, getting rewards for beating a series of otherwise unchanged quests. Complete all three successfully for each set of quests to get an account-based reward.

Beat all quests levels 1-3 as:
1) A kobold sorc (magic missile at level 1, shield at level 2, lightning bolt at level 3. All SLAs for 1sp, but with normal CDs)
2) An undead rat barbarian (bite that self heals as a small HoT at level 1, bite that puts on a dot at level 2, bite that consumes stacks of dots for 10 dmg/stack at level 3)
3) An undead cleric (cure/inflict wounds at level 1, bless at level 2, searing light at level 3

Sample rewards (for 1st/2nd/3rd run, which must be different set types):
1) elixir of discovery (for first race completion of levels 1-3, awarded 1/account)
2) 1x 1.1 million xp stone (enough to level a first life character to 15, or third life character to 11). For completion of 1-3 with 2 different set builds, 1/account.
3) 1x cosmetic helm (makes your face look like a kobold/undead/rat), for completing 1-3 challenge as all 3 set builds, account wide unlock through the hardcore vendor.

Do similar challenges for other quest series or level ranges, possibly targetting the least played zones.
Don't create animations for the models. All players advance in set builds but play with the skin of a model. Design builds with groupwork in mind, possibly with dps/tank/healer at each level. When finished, bring it back as a recurring event on live without the permadeath as a polymorph event, possibly for event tokens of an existing event.
I love the Kobold sorc idea

PurpleSerpent

Monster Hunter of Moderate Renown
I must say, of the Hardcore Seasons so far, I definitely had the most fun with Season Six, which felt like the only season to add an extra challenge without overly relying on RNG. (Seasons Two and Four added difficulty mostly by making Monster Champions really unpleasant to deal with, which isn't exactly my idea of a good time. Especially not the one from Season Four where every hit started a 7-second timer to self-cast Remove Fear or die instantly.)

As such, here are a couple of ideas for things that could be subbed in for Hounds in future seasons:
  • A Planar Eyes-themed season where the monster summoned is selected from a short list of monsters from Eberron's Planes. (We could also have the Codex of the Infinite Planes as the theme, I suppose, but honestly the cursed book's had enough of the limelight already, and it's broken now.)
  • A Chronoscope-themed season where monsters are summoned from DDO's distant past! There's quite a list of monsters that have been removed from DDO over the years, and it could be great fun for a few of them to come back for a couple of months.
(I will freely admit that I'm advocating for these largely because I would then get to photograph the monsters, but what have you?)

ACJ97F

Every monster explodes 10 seconds after death, in an unblockable Force explosion, scaled off level. That way, you have time to get out of
the way, but it'll weed out anyone not paying attention.

You can't Finish out of any mission, if there's a mob you agro'd that's still alive. If you don't clear it, you can't get credit. Not paying you for
a job you didn't finish. No witnesses!

lumpi

LEADERBOARDS (Favor/Reaper) for each class and different rewards ..so if you are at the top of the leaderboard for Rogues you get rewards from List A and if you are top of the leaderboard for Bards then you get rewards from List B. Rewards don't have to be tied that class, it just has to be attainable from each leaderboard.

Reasoning:
1) hopefully, people will play different classes
2) hopefully, people will stay til the end of the season or stay longer.
3) something new is always good

haagmaar123

I like whatever encourages us to participate as friends and discourages us from participating as rivals - we can see, very clearly, from the leaderboards, who among us are the best players - you guys are truly amazing at this game -as someone who's played since beta and knows it well, I am in awe. I learn something new every season. And all of the leaderboard folks are very nice and friendly people too - I rather think encouraging that friendship fits our small community better. The scavenger hunt was a great twist to encourage players to work together. What I see running a very large guild is hundreds of players who love DDO and they speak of how they wish they had more time to play. Many are older with jobs and families, Many only play a few times a week. Whatever it is we want to keep DDO feeling like every player can be part of the experience, even if they are not able to play every day.
i also want to encourage more grouping and working together but i feel the only way we can do that is to actually make hardcore enough of a challenge where we need each other unfortunately most of the hardcore seasons are pretty much able to be a solo snooze.