How long can I hold a quest open?

Dythan

My googlefu is weak.

How long can I hold a quest active, say if I get a drop a friend can use, to wait for them to log in and join, then pas it to them in a chest? actually, follow up, can I pass an end chest loot to someone who joins after finish? This feels like a no, which makes the question moot, but I'd still like an answer, how long can I stand around without completing a quest and still get a win?

Thanks

Fhrek

One Badge of Honor achieved
to wait for them to log in and join, then pas it to them in a chest?

You can't. The character you want to pass something via chest needs to be in before the chest is open.
can I pass an end chest loot to someone who joins after finish?
After the quests finish - Yes, but the chest can't be opened before the person is inside the quest.
how long can I stand around without completing a quest and still get a win?
In AFK mode? If not mistaken F2P and Premium has a 30 minutes before forced to log out. VIP 60 minutes. But, if not in AFK you can stay in the quest whanever you want.

P.S. It if playing Normal/Hard/Elite.... on Reaper has a 10 minutes timer. After that no one can join or re-enter the quest.

Kasanje

YouTube Creator
They had to have been inside the quest when it was completed to get loot from the chest.

Last edited:

PURPLETIMB

They had to have been inside the quest when it was completed to get loot from the chest.
This is not entirely correct. They do not have to be in the quest on completion to get the chest loot*, but they have to be inside the quest when the chest is opened.

*There are a few exceptions to this rule; namely, old purple epic chests in Eberron content do not give loot unless you were in the quest prior to completion. All other chests allow you to loot them as long as you are in the quest when the chest is opened without regard to when the quest was completed.

As to your other point, as Fhrex said, as long as you don't time out from being AFK you can hold a quest open forever.

wmmt81

Actually, just today, Sat, Aug 5th, I completed a solo run of R2 Legend of Two-toed Tobias and 3 more ppl joined after completion but BEFORE the chest was opened. Everyone got loot. I believe that there are some quests (including all raids?) where your statement is accurate.
EDIT: I just saw PURPLETIMB's post above. Their post has more detail.

Kasanje

YouTube Creator
Actually, just today, Sat, Aug 5th, I completed a solo run of R2 Legend of Two-toed Tobias and 3 more ppl joined after completion but BEFORE the chest was opened. Everyone got loot. I believe that there are some quests (including all raids?) where your statement is accurate.
EDIT: I just saw PURPLETIMB's post above. Their post has more detail.
Yeah, my only experience with holding the instance for loot was with Devil Assault, which is one of those specific quests where you can't do that.

CBDunk

I've run into this several times, mostly with holding at the end of a quest so people who have just logged in can get loot and/or xp. Also several times I've seen Discord messages go out for people to come loot a Feytwisted or other particularly rare chest.

The rule is ALMOST always that people in the quest (or wilderness zone) at the moment the chest was opened can get loot from it.

In the quest/zone from the start to the point where the chest was earned/unlocked, but left before it was opened and came back after? No loot.
Joined the quest/zone after nearly everything was finished, but one second before the chest was opened? Loot.
In the quest/zone when the chest was opened, and then left and came back? Loot.