Human Handwraps Build

Jasparius

Hi, Im returning to the game after years away and currently doing Alchemist to get my Completionist back and then plan on going Monk.

Im thinking Human for the extra Feat, but if I go Wis based and get points in Falconry I can be Wis to Hit and Dmg but how do I get a high Reflex save if Im ignoring Dex ?

I dont have any Racial lives and only a couple of Epic lives if that matters. The Heroic gear I can get once I buy Feywild for low levels and do have a fair bit of Barovian gear (which gear set should I aim for?)

Then level 15 I think I have some Sharn gear but not a lot.

Also, thoughts on Handwraps to focus on? And what do you do against mobs who have DR against blunt?

Cheers all.

Dragonpath

Hi, Im returning to the game after years away and currently doing Alchemist to get my Completionist back and then plan on going Monk.

Im thinking Human for the extra Feat, but if I go Wis based and get points in Falconry I can be Wis to Hit and Dmg but how do I get a high Reflex save if Im ignoring Dex ?

I dont have any Racial lives and only a couple of Epic lives if that matters. The Heroic gear I can get once I buy Feywild for low levels and do have a fair bit of Barovian gear (which gear set should I aim for?)

Also, thoughts on Handwraps to focus on? And what do you do against mobs who have DR against blunt?

Cheers all.
Get https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Devout_Handwraps . It's a level 8 good aligned and metalline handwraps. You'll be able to go through any material dr and also hit fiends.

Gyuma Bei

Cheers all.
The Feywild Gear is generally "better". Saltmarsh sets are also great because you can upgrade them to Epic and Legendary levels (and the Heroic set of the Feywild and Saltmarsh gears work well through out levels up to mid to high teens).

For handwraps, if you get Saltmarsh, get the Crocodile Maw handwrap. The Animal Bane 2 and Vampirism 1 at that early level and being able to upgrade to Feeding 20, Lifedrinker, and Vampirism 2 for the Epic version is just too good whether you're a Shintao or not.

Generally, DR at early levels vs. blunt damage isn't too difficult to overcome. You could always have Kamas as back up weapons (and there are some nice Kamas in the game these days). The Ferrocrystal Kamas from Feywild and Flamesalt in Saltmarsh will do in a pinch. https://ddowiki.com/page/Category:Kamas

Last edited:

unbongwah

if I go Wis based and get points in Falconry I can be Wis to Hit and Dmg but how do I get a high Reflex save if Im ignoring Dex ?
You still need DEX 17 for ITWF/GTWF so it's not like you dump-stat DEX. Also monks get Improved Evasion at level 9 so they only take half-damage from failed Reflex saves. Monks get high saves across the board, +3 to saves from Shintao cores, and Grandmaster Ocean stance gives +5 to saves (as well as extra Dodge and +4 WIS). Shadowdancer gives +9 to Reflex saves.

Jasparius

Ah so there will be plenty of Dex around as well as bonuses to Saves.

Im thinking 13 Dex to start to get Dodge straight away or are there other Feats I can be taking at level 1 ?

Or is it better to skip the extra Feat and go another race ?

Last edited:

Gyuma Bei

Ah so there will be plenty of Dex around as well as bonuses to Saves.

Im thinking 13 Dex to start to get Dodge straight away or are there other Feats I can be taking at level 1 ?

Or is it better to skip the extra Feat and go another race ?
Aasimar is, objectively, the ideal choice for Monks, but choosing Human for the Bonus Feat and Skill points is still pretty good.

Pinecone

The Feywild Gear is generally "better" because you can upgrade them to Epic and Legendary levels (and the Heroic set works well through out levels up to mid to high teens).
You're thinking of Saltmarsh, Feywild gear cannot be upgraded. But you're right on the second part, heroic Fey gear is great for quite a few levels

Sheikra

Cheers all.
I really like the adamantly knuckles for level 14+ from gianthold. I am playing a monk right now on my main (level 15 atm) and man my dps skyrocketed when I switched from barovian to the knuckles. Feels like every hit is a crit! (Obviously exaggeration)

I'm aasimar, but if you don't have racial points then I think human is a good idea! Bonus feat and can pick up hamp pretty cheap. Once you have maximum racial points, aasimar is a clear winner though I think.