I'm developing a free game based on Dungeons & Dragons 3.5.

sckham

Hello, I'm a novice game developer and would like to introduce the project I'm working on, an indie game called "Reborn by Fire." This game will be an Action RPG inspired by Dungeons & Dragons 3.5. If you enjoy it, please subscribe to the channel to follow the game's development. Don't forget to share to support the project. At the end of development, I'll release a free demo for everyone to play. Feedback, critiques, and suggestions are always welcome.

ACJ97F

Minor input. Keep it scaled to 3.5, and don't do what DDO and other games do, devolve into nothing but rediculous stats. It's DnD, not a
flexing contest. I'd suggest using base stats, and keep any (+Stat) modifiers limited to magic items (like gauntlets of ogre power, etc), and
base feats. Also, be sure to add a sound slider, so the monsters don't sound like tapdancing horses.

Looks pretty interesting thus far. (y)

sckham

Just curious how or in what way will the game be inspired by Dungeons & Dragons 3.5?
Stats

The status system is similar to that of D&D, but to streamline and expedite the production process, I don't use modifiers like in D&D. The status values are directly treated as if they were the modifiers themselves.

image.png

Weapons

Swords, axes, and other weapons have a damage system similar to D&D. For instance, a longsword will deal 1 to 8 + Strength in damage. A real-time 1d20 roll will determine if the result is 19 or higher, which is considered a critical hit, causing an additional 2d8 damage, following the book's rules for other weapons.

image.png

Saves

The saves work the same way as in D&D, where "Mind" is equivalent to "willpower," "Agility" corresponds to "reflex," and "Vitality" is the same as "fortitude." These attributes increase in value based on the player's level, equipment, and choices made in the Skill Tree.

Lore

Regarding the matter of races and classes, I found myself limited both by financial constraints and by the game's lore, as it is designed for a single-player experience. The game tells the story of Ignis, a former slave in a dark fantasy world, contending with an evil cult. I worked on developing the game's lore to be entirely unique (to avoid copyright issues), filling it with layers of significant events that occurred before and after the protagonist's journey.

Builds

Regarding the builds, they will be constructed similarly to what we see in DDO, involving a combination of equipment and choices in the skill trees. To make the gameplay more dynamic and enjoyable, there will be three skill trees that allow players to play as casters, melee, or ranged characters. As for the character class, I created it myself as a blend of Ranger, Warlock, Sorcerer, and Warrior, while attempting to create something new and original.

The rest is still under construction.

Contessor

I will definitely check it out when you release. Looks like a cool project.

Boy that was a lot of tumbling in the video. Didn’t you see the tumble hating thread? Honestly I like the combat tumble feature.

ACJ97F

Seeing that item you posted, I would skip normal durability tracking, unless you need a money sink. Most of the PnP games I've seen over the
years, don't bother with it. You could use a [(%) chance to destroy non-magical weapons] tag VS rust monsters style system for simplicity. Adds
a bit of nail-biting, when you're using the only weapon you have to smack a risky monster, as opposed to making it predictable.

Boy that was a lot of tumbling in the video. Didn’t you see the tumble hating thread? Honestly I like the combat tumble feature.
That's funny, because I was wondering how long it would be before that foam-helmet from the other thread commented on OP tumbling. :D

Falkor

That's unreal engine. Well done. I'd like to test it. Do you have a development link or discord?

Last edited:

Onyxia2016

Love the design concept mentioned so far. Has the classic D&D fell to it.

I was one of the beta testers for Turbine when DDO started way back when. During the closed beta when you had to agree to the NDA.
If you need another tester let me know.

Speed

I do not use tumble in DDO, but thats good if a game has additional gamer reflex based evasion system instad of just passive defense stats.
I use jumping a lot (yes, on spellcasters! - to concentrate group of enemies near me and hit them all with AoE during jump out) which also makes game more dynamic and interesting.