Is Hardcore Season Hardcore enough?

Coffey

This is the kiddie pool version of HC which is perfect for me! That being said... I would REALLY like some mimics in the game. I'm tired of watching kolbold shamans get all of the kill cred.
The Magma Brute has a fair share of the kills again this season lol.

Vox

Reducing the number of people that can participate in hardcore does nothing to increase the challenge for the people at the top end.
I don't think anyone has mentioned stopping or limiting participation.

Personally I'd prefer if SSG unlocked all difficulties for all players on HC. Sad seeing LFM's sit around for ages waiting for elite openers.

PraetorPlato

Can you explain this?
In the same way that last season had a special cosmetic for half the pieces, then all the pieces, I'm suggesting a special cosmetic for *only* doing reaper quests (after korthos, when they're not possible) (and reaching 20), and a special cosmetic for the same, but r3+ only (and maybe reaching cap?)

Archest

I like only open r1 , I'm premium player, maybe an extra life for reincarnation @20

build your own item reward ( not having to use mats and essences) just a template for the type of item.
create a Cannith Crafting blank and add three effects from Cannith crafting without having to have xp or materials.
level 8 level 16 and 2nd life ( 21)

YeeboF

I think there need to be a few easier ones mixed in. Also, it's not as if plenty of folks aren't still dying horribly. Mostly at level five for some reason.

ProllyDidItWrong

IDK - Kobold still hates me in hardcore. Extra life just means he gets to hate me more. This is only the second HC season that I participated in and it feels the same to me. Dead is dead... um again.

ProllyDidItWrong

I think there need to be a few easier ones mixed in. Also, it's not as if plenty of folks aren't still dying horribly. Mostly at level five for some reason.
I think thats because level 5 is when most players move on from Korthos, Keep and the 2nd level Harbor stuff and hit non-beginner minded dungeons like Catacombs, Saltmarsh.. etc. .... maybe?

Onyxia2016

Many meet their end on a seemingly easy quest "Walk the Butchers Path"
It is a level 2 quest but many run reaper at 4 to 5 to be safe.
Not realizing that Kobold Shaman's lightening crits hurt with many groups having two of them.

Reactions: DBZ

FaceDancer

Olde Wurm
Just to be extra paranoid, I'm scraping and scouring nuggets of wisdom from the forums and UTube and trying to compile them in a "noob's list of do's and don't s". I would rather be a good example vs. a terrible warning and HC is probably the best test... That being said. I'm moving terribly slow, but I'm not dead yet! 👹

FaceDancer

Olde Wurm
Many meet their end on a seemingly easy quest "Walk the Butchers Path"
It is a level 2 quest but many run reaper at 4 to 5 to be safe.
Not realizing that Kobold Shaman's lightening crits hurt with many groups having two of them.
I can't remember which one it was but it was either Durk's Got a Secret or maybe Missing in Action (or maybe both???). but there are quite a few alcoves with Kolbold Shamans just chomping @ the bit to poke you with a lightning spork! I usually set my npc's to aggro and cut them loose so I don't get their focus which seems to work (mostly).

Dom

Sure. Lets make Hardcore truly hardcore.

Then those people who aren't as good as the top 5% of players will see they really aren't needed or wanted and will stop playing and getting in the elite players way.

Then the server population will drop to the point that golly, SSG doesn't make enough money from the game and turns the lights off.

Excellent plan.

And, in case anyone missed it: /sarcasm
Even though this was meant to be sarcastic, it's actually the reality of it. As it is, people complain about hardcore being too hard and not being able to make it past a certain level, or not being able to obtain the rewards. When hardcore season one was released, the intent was that there wouldn't be any repeat seasons - if you missed the rewards, you weren't going to be able to go back and get them (or at least I believe that's how it was portrayed on Cordo's stream way back when). Seeing as there are now redux seasons, with reduced thresholds for rewards as well as xp boosts for reaper xp, it goes to show that SSG is going to cater to the population of players who have (in the past and/or currently) struggled to get the rewards. I unfortunately can't see hardcore ever becoming "truly hardcore", which is a bit of a shame.

ProllyDidItWrong

Maybe adding a Hardcore Randomizer button would make these extra life seasons a little more HC. Have the game randomly roll your stats,pick your starter class, race and path based on your best stat roll and then pick your appearance and name. The only interaction you can have in the character creator being your surname and you have to stay on the path you receive. Now get that character to 20... Randomcore

I play bard this season and everytime i cast Horn of Thunder and there goes the sound of whooom, in my mind it always follows with AWOOOO. That was trully scary even for powerful characters.

popejubal

I don't think anyone has mentioned stopping or limiting participation.

Personally I'd prefer if SSG unlocked all difficulties for all players on HC. Sad seeing LFM's sit around for ages waiting for elite openers.
Making HC harder will limit participation. Not everyone who plays DDO is as good as you. The overwhelming majority of characters in HC are still dying before level 8.