Is Mad Tea Party designed to destroy Friendships and Marriages?

Reaped and Ravaged

The entire lower level is a tribute to a low regulation environment with no respect given to OSHA standards or Monster occupancy limits. Would it be too much to have the option to actually spend 15 seconds to brightly light some of those Torches by the holes? It seems like one of those options from D&D 1.0 that should have been left in

Cheeps

Tired Member
It's not as bad as those ruins of threnal quests that have a rust monster with his flatmate, a warforged.

As soon as you walk in the rust monster goes after you, even if you don't have any metal on you and his friend the warforged attacks you as well.

But yeah, I like mad, I like tea, and I like parties, but for some reason I don't like mad tea party.

Rest of ravenloft is awesome, hope they do more. (y)

rabidfox

The People's Champion

Is Mad Tea Party designed to destroy Friendships and Marriages?​

Yes. It's ranked 2nd to Monopoly at family board game night for doing so. SSG's quality assurance department never fully recovered from the damage caused by beta testing the quest. Play at your own risk. :giggle:

J1NG

I can do things others can't...
It's one of those quests where I suspect that the graphical team might have been working with calibrated HDR and/or OLED displays and forgot to switch out of it. Because I've had IPS panels before and this quest really was basically no detail at the lower level, it was basically darkness, nothing was visible without blowing out the gamma or brightness. Once I grabbed my OLEDs however, the quest changed drastically. No longer was the lower levels as dark as before and all the details were visible.

I suspect the same graphical team might have been part of the Exalted Angel (current) Ring of Fire. If it's all calibrated for HDR and on an OLED where there's no adjustments needed and brightness is uniform and colours normally not visible are more clear here (without being blown out by brightness or gamma), what players have been experiencing (too dark, lost details and too bright all blown out) might be related to this. Unfortunately there's no way to know this.

As for lighting, I doubt we'd get any more lighting, especially dynamic lighting. As we lost the Archon lighting and never got it back. The only option I can suggest to players with access to Searing Light and the Enlarge Metamagic Feat, is to fire it anywhere and it'll act as a temporary light source. If you do not use Enlarge, the duration of the spark is too short. But if you do have Enlarge, it's easier to use as a light source as the spark stays for longer. Note that this doesn't light up for other players (on their screen), only yourself.

J1NG

Vlander

Well Known Member
I've never noticed how dark it is. I have my gamma bumped a bit so I didn't have to wear the underdark goggles. It seems to at least lighten the darker areas enough to see.

drjoans

kinda-known member
I forgot how falling in those felt until the other day when I ran with a pug that was doing all kinds of unnecessary actions that spawned more mobs/ opened unnecessary barriers and had to remind myself not to be annoyed cause i fell in there and had to fight my way through like 100 extra mobs cause they brought the guy down without first doing the puzzles. Took a deep breath and realized I should change my thought process and help the flower sniffers to understand the quest mechanics.

GrizzlyOso

I forgot how falling in those felt until the other day when I ran with a pug that was doing all kinds of unnecessary actions that spawned more mobs/ opened unnecessary barriers and had to remind myself not to be annoyed cause i fell in there and had to fight my way through like 100 extra mobs cause they brought the guy down without first doing the puzzles. Took a deep breath and realized I should change my thought process and help the flower sniffers to understand the quest mechanics.
Especially because you shouldn’t even take the guy down. Takes too long . Just kill him, run to puzzle 1, kill everything , run to 2 kill everything, run PAST this hole everyone is falling down, it’ll have a force field over it even , then murder all the mobs together. Finish quest.

I’ve been enjoying tea party a lot more this way .

FaceDancer

Olde Wurm
It may be dark in there, but it ain't that dark. Gamma is subjective, but I found for my monitor that a setting of 1.20 seems about right for most everything in DDO.

GrizzlyOso

It may be dark in there, but it ain't that dark. Gamma is subjective, but I found for my monitor that a setting of 1.20 seems about right for most everything in DDO.
I play on two different setups, on one everything is *very* dark especially with any ambient room light , I wouldn’t totally dismiss this.

I do wish we had torches , just for coolness. Rainbow does it, what’s bad about it ? Multiple people having them ?

Sarlona Raiding

When I run on a desktop with a nice monitor I don't have any problems at all, but if I run on my laptop with a decent graphics card it is very difficult to navigate certain quests due to darkness including mad tea party. I have to turn up the brightness (within ddo main menu) for such quests and then I turn it back to normal when I am done.

J1NG

How about a screenshot or video snipet? I never had a problem with seeing stuff in that quest, and I don't adjust my gamma. It's not even close to comparable to Rainbow in the Dark.
This isn't always possible. As what your display is outputting and what you capture could be entirely different things or at least different enough where a third party looking at things won't be able to really tell that there's anything off. Because the capture has its own brightness and colour, but your display also had physical adjustments performed that are not captured.

I would say it was akin to the Exalted Angel Flame Barrier overbrightness, it's not an issue over here for example until I move the camera angle to a horizontal view so it's visual effect is highly stacked on itself so it's more visible. But for some others, it was much more noticeable even from a normal overhead view.

J1NG

rabidfox

The People's Champion
This isn't always possible. As what your display is outputting and what you capture could be entirely different things or at least different enough where a third party looking at things won't be able to really tell that there's anything off. Because the capture has its own brightness and colour, but your display also had physical adjustments performed that are not captured.
That's when someone has to go old school and take a photo of their monitor. =)

J1NG

That's when someone has to go old school and take a photo of their monitor. =)
The only issue here is, everyone mostly only has phone cameras these days, and lets just say, they make so many adjustments that you'll be lucky to recognise yourself after taking a selfie sometimes. :oops:

J1NG

:: edit ::
As in, take two same phones in, and their auto adjustments from different angles, will produce differing results, so this isn't always a reliable way unfortunately.