Kali's Stormsinger Warchanter/Dragon Lord HYBRID Melee/CC+ Insta-kill Caster build

Kalibano

Build Designer. Having fun since 2006!
This is very convenient! So, I am looking to actually run a CC/Instakill build when I am done with my alt and I found this one (Kali's Wizard Pale Master Insta-kill + CC Caster build), but I have wanted to do a few more caster lives first...and really the only caster lives I have left are:
  • stormsinger for +5 elctric/sonic SP (3 to do)
  • dark apostate for Neg healing amp +5 neg sp (3 to do)
  • and maybe dragonlord for those last breath weapon DCs (3 to do)
My question is do you think any of the above will help out your pale master build? I feel like dark apostate would, and I guess it doesn't hurt to have the extra SP from from Stormsinger. Not so sure the breath DCs are completely needed if I am a DC caster.

As for the stormsinger/Dragonlord build, I would prob just be doing an iconic for the PL. I like tabaxi cause its fast. so what split would you do? Also, I assume SoS THF is the way to roll with this one .

Edit: just realized I can't do tabaxi trailblazer as it makes you a monk lev 1 and stormsinger requires any non-lawful. lol. ok, which iconic to use :)

Thanks!
Nic
Hey there :)

Happy to share some thoughts!

Ref the Wizard insta-kill build:
> As you mentioned, the Dark Apostate will definitely help a lot with self-healing and survival (Vampire form), so should be worth it, considering you need those for your TR project anyway

> Dragon Lord's Breath DCs won't help with this specific build, as it doesn't use any breath weapon attacks/spells

> Stormsinger won't actually be too useful, as I don't really use Electric nor Sonic spells. These are the key spellpowers I use:
Wiz-Pale-Master-Spellpowers.jpg

Wiz-Pale-Master-Key-abilities-toolbar.jpg

- Negative is the main one, for most of the spells I cast on a DPS rotation, since this build strips negative energy immunity:​
> Magus: 'Dark Light of the Moon' / 'Gloomspear' / 'Moon's Shadow' / 'Mantle: Flash of the Eclipse'
> Pale Master: 'Necrotic Blast & Bolt' / 'Embraced the Void'
> Wizard spells: 'Rend the Soul' / 'Enervation' / 'Finger of Death (on successful saves)' / 'Necrotic Ray' / 'Greater & Lesser Death auras' / 'Negative Energy Burst'
- Investment in Force was mainly driven by Magus' 'Unholy Pulse', which makes Arcane Pulse stack 7 times, but also because this spellpower is boosted by all the 3 EDs I use:​
> Magus: enhanced 'Arcane Pulse'
> Archamage: 'Arcane Bolt'
> Wizard spells: 'Arcane Tempest' / 'Phantasmal Killer (on successful saves)'
- I invest in Conjuration for the Trap the Soul insta-kill, so it created synergy with Acid spellcasting, for some extra DPS options:​
> Primal Avatar: 'Shard Storm'
> Wizard spells: 'Acid Well' / 'Cloudkill'
- Cold is mostly there because of the Magus Mantle extra dmg on spellcast + passive spell power boost from Magus and Primal Avatar, so I picked a couple of NO save spells, for some extra DPS options:​
> Wizard spells: 'Polar Ray' / 'Niac's Biting Cold'
I went thought all this detail basically to show there is plenty of DPS options which synergise strongly with the choices made for heroic and ED trees. I wouldn't recommend going for electric nor sonic spellcasting here, especially considering how this build did not invest in Evocation :)

> Ref a Stormsinger/Dragon Lord Iconic race choice:

The iconic that first comes to mind is PDK, as it starts with a Fighter level. It would still require a basic LTR to move from regular fighter to Dragon Lord, if you wanted to stick to the build in the main post.

Alternatively, you could keep the regular fighter levels and use the previous set up I had for this build:

Previous build (Stormsinger 18/ FvS 1 / Fighter 1):
Stormsinger-Warchanter-Heroic-enhancs-pre-Drag-Lord.jpg

> Ref the weapon choice for the Stormsinger/Dragon Lord build
Sadly, Warchanter does not provide any bonuses to threat range and multiplier (just an extra multiplier on 19-20 rolls). So the most obvious choice for me were Falchions, since they already have a strong crit profile.

If you go PDK, there is potential to drop the investment in Feydark Illusionist for the CHA to-hit & dmg, and invest in the PDK tree to acquire that, with the difference that you'd be restricted to using Greatswords only. This option would have the added benefit of improving tactical DCs by a large amount too (stackable with Divine Might):
Cormyrean Knight Training:
You now use Charisma or Strength, whichever is higher, for attack and damage with shortswords, longswords, bastard swords, and greatswords.
In addition, as long as your Charisma remains higher than your Strength and you are wielding one of the above weapons, you receive a bonus to the DCs of your Tactical Feats equal to 1/3 your Charisma modifier.

Hope this was helpful, and that you enjoy the builds if you decide to give them a go :)

Last edited:

Nickodeamous

Hey there :)

Happy to share some thoughts!

Ref the Wizard insta-kill build:
> As you mentioned, the Dark Apostate will definitely help a lot with self-healing and survival (Vampire form), so should be worth it, considering you need those for your TR project anyway

> Dragon Lord's Breath DCs won't help with this specific build, as it doesn't use any breath weapon attacks/spells

> Stormsinger won't actually be too useful, as I don't really use Electric nor Sonic spells. These are the key spellpowers I use:
Wiz-Pale-Master-Spellpowers.jpg

Wiz-Pale-Master-Key-abilities-toolbar.jpg

- Negative is the main one, for most of the spells I cast on a DPS rotation, since this build strips negative energy immunity:​
> Magus: 'Dark Light of the Moon' / 'Gloomspear' / 'Moon's Shadow' / 'Mantle: Flash of the Eclipse'
> Pale Master: 'Necrotic Blast & Bolt' / 'Embraced the Void'
> Wizard spells: 'Rend the Soul' / 'Enervation' / 'Finger of Death (on successful saves)' / 'Necrotic Ray' / 'Greater & Lesser Death auras' / 'Negative Energy Burst'
- Investment in Force was mainly driven by Magus' 'Unholy Pulse', which makes Arcane Pulse stack 7 times, but also because this spellpower is boosted by all the 3 EDs I use:​
> Magus: enhanced 'Arcane Pulse'
> Archamage: 'Arcane Bolt'
> Wizard spells: 'Arcane Tempest' / 'Phantasmal Killer (on successful saves)'
- I invest in Conjuration for the Trap the Soul insta-kill, so it created synergy with Acid spellcasting, for some extra DPS options:​
> Primal Avatar: 'Shard Storm'
> Wizard spells: 'Acid Well' / 'Cloudkill'
- Cold is mostly there because of the Magus Mantle extra dmg on spellcast + passive boost by Magus and Primal Avatar, so I picked a couple of NO save spells, for some extra DPS options:​
> Wizard spells: 'Polar Ray' / 'Niac's Biting Cold'
I went thought all this detail basically to show there is plenty of DPS options which synergise strongly with the choices made for heroic and ED trees. I can't see much room for electric nor sonic spellcasting here :)

> Ref a Stormsinger/Dragon Lord Iconic race choice:

The iconic that first comes to mind is PDK, as it starts with a Fighter level. It would still require a basic LTR to move from regular fighter to Dragon Lord, if you wanted to stick to the build in the main post.

Alternatively, you could keep the regular fighter levels and use the previous set up I had for this build:

Previous build (Stormsinger 18/ FvS 1 / Fighter 1):
Stormsinger-Warchanter-Heroic-enhancs-pre-Drag-Lord.jpg

> Ref the weapon choice for the Stormsinger/Dragon Lord build
Sadly, Warchanter does not provide any bonuses to threat range and multiplier (just an extra multiplier on 19-20 rolls). So the most obvious choice for me were Falchions, since they already have a strong crit profile.

If you go PDK, there is potential to drop the investment in Feydark Illusionist for the CHA to-hit & dmg, and invest in the PDK tree to acquire that, with the difference that you'd be restricted to using Greatswords only. This option would have the added benefit of improving tactical DCs by a large amount too (stackable with Divine Might):
Cormyrean Knight Training:
You now use Charisma or Strength, whichever is higher, for attack and damage with shortswords, longswords, bastard swords, and greatswords.
In addition, as long as your Charisma remains higher than your Strength and you are wielding one of the above weapons, you receive a bonus to the DCs of your Tactical Feats equal to 1/3 your Charisma modifier.

Hope this was helpful, and that you enjoy the builds if you decide to give them a go :)
Thank you so much!! I did roll an iconic last night, but didn't think to do pdk. Doh! I chose aasimar scourge, but may try pdk next. So far so good. Not too bad with SoS, but I may just get some dark apostate next sin e that would actually help with my build goal. Thanks for the detailed explanation! Much appreciated!
Nic