Kali's Warlock Fiend CC + Insta-kill + Offensive Caster build

Kalibano

Build Designer. Having fun since 2006!
Welcome to my build repository! I've been playing since 2006, and I play to have fun: I don't really care about 'the META'. I have 23 alts, so I actively play practically every class and race available in the game. I design all my builds fully from scratch. Hope you find them useful, and constructive comments/ suggestions are always welcome!

If you would like to contribute towards this effort, any donations will be greatly appreciated. If not, please don't worry: sharing is caring! Just sit back and relax, and enjoy the builds!

11. Kali's Warlock Fiend CC + Insta-kill + Offensive caster build
DDOBuilder file for this build. You can find and download Maetrim's DDOBuilder here.
Warlock-Fiend-Avatar.jpg

Preface to the build

This thread aims to provide the very 'core' of the build:
  • show how it started: its key aims
  • indicate the key decisions that can be made to achieve those aims: stats, skills, feats, heroic enhancements, epic destinies
  • all numbers are based on what a first-lifer (or someone with minimal past lives) would have, unbuffed, outside of reaper mode (they do, however, include equipped gear and partially completed filigrees). They are real characters, and those are the numbers I can offer.
  • numbers are indicative of the potential minimum amounts that can be achieved with the investments that were proposed
  • provide a 'photo' of what your character could look like at endgame during quite a few lives of their 'TR hamster wheel' journey
  • show the 'foundations' to be built upon, if a player decides to embark on the 'TR hamster wheel' and go out there to hunt for rare bonuses
  • gear choices are NOT part of the core build, but rather one of the most important ways to invest in the key elements of the core build to make the aims work. It has been added here simply to suggest options/ inspire. No promises are being made towards keeping this updated upon the release of new content.

DISCLAIMER: nobody in real life has been injured on the making of this thread, and nobody will suffer injuries in real life if they try it. DDO is an awesome game, and trying-and-testing + making changes to suit your specific play style are a very healthy aspect of the game. It's how you learn and get better! Try not to stress too much about what some people have to say about how you play your game. Not everyone gets that this is a game, that people are not the same, and don't want the same things! The Mountain has many paths. Have fun!

Further Preliminary Note:
I absolutely and categorically detest Eldritch Blasting! I personally find the animation very slow, robotic, and monotonous/tedious. It also makes casting spells very clunky because of the pauses between stopping blasting - casting - starting blasting again. Using the aura is the only way I can stand to play Warlocks. I have actually grown to love the aura, as I can cast freely while it passively deals AoE damage every 2 seconds for me. Combined with Dragon Breath: Energy Vortex, playing this char feels great! This may not be considered by some as the 'most efficient' way to play this class and/or this build, but I don't really care (forgive my sincerity). It's a fun way to play it, and it works very well for the aims I propose below. Hope you enjoy it if you decide to give it a go!

Aims of the build

Primary aim(s):
1. Insta-kill enemies (5 spells)
> AoE (2):​
Necromancy
> 'Circle of Death'
> 'Wail of Banshee'
> Single target (3):
Necromancy
> 'Hurl through Hell' (Fiend pact spell)
> 'Finger of Death'
Conjuration
> 'Trap the Soul'
2. Crowd Control:
> AoE:​
> Warlock spells:​
Conjuration
> 'Evard's Black Tentacles'
> 'Web'
Enchantment
> 'Howl of Terror'
Illusion
> 'Color Spray'
> Draconic Incarnation:​
Evocation
> 'Daunting Roar [T3]' via 'Dragon Breath: Energy Vortex [T4]' (25% chance to paralyze for 6s, no save)
> Dino crafting:
NO Save
> 'Legendary Ice effect' (chance on all spell casting + Warlock aura every 2s + Dragon breath: Energy Vortex)
> Single-target:
> Warlock spells:​
Enchantment
> 'Hold Monster'
> 'Command'
> 'Power Word: Blind'
Evocation
> 'Binding Chain'
> Exalted Angel​
Conjuration
> 'Stand and Be Judged: Delayed Judgement [T4]'
> 'Guard' effects on being hit/missed:​
> Tiefling​
NO Save
> 'Hellish Rebuke: Ferocious Rebuke [T2]' (chance to be tripped)
3. Strong offensive casting: Evil/Light + Fire + Force
> AoE Evil/Light damage:​
> Warlock​
NO Save
> 14 Eldritch Blast die: Evil dmg (scales light Spell Power) via:​
> Warlock's 'Eldritch Aura [C1]' (passively every 2s)​
> Enlightened Spirit​
NO Save
> 12 Imbue die: Light dmg 'Spiritual Retribution [T4]' (scales light Spell Power) via:
> 'Eldritch Aura [C1]' (every 2s)
> 'Spirit Blast [T5]' (actively every 6s)
> 'Eldritch Burst [T3]' (actively every 8s)
> Exalted Angel
Evocation
> 'SLA: Sun Bolt [T3]' (AoE when straight line)
> AoE Light/Fire damage:​
> Exalted Angel​
NO Save
> 'Stand and Be Judged: Delayed Judgement [T4]' (if stunned, after 6s, take dmg, scales Spell Power)
> 'Angelic Charge: Heavenly Wrath [C4]' (while leaping through enemies)
> AoE Fire damage:​
> Warlock​
Evocation
> 21 Pact die: Fire dmg (scales Fire Spell Power) via:​
> Exalted Angel​
Evocation
> 'SLA: Holy Fireball [T5]'
> Draconic Incarnation:
NO Save
> Mantle: 'Attune the Arcane: Inevitable [T2 & 3]' (5s cooldown) via:
> offensive spell casting
Evocation
> Epic Strike: 'Dragon breath: Energy Vortex [T1 & 4]' (dmg every 3s, for 15s)
> Tieling
Evocation
> SLA: Scorch 'Ash [T3]'
> AoE Force damage:​
> Warlock's 'Evard's Black Tentacles' (spell)​
> 'Guard' damage on being hit/missed:
> Tiefling
NO Save
> 'Hellish Rebuke [T1]' (Fire, scales Spell Power)
Secondary aim(s):
4. Enemy de-buffs:
> Saves (all, unless specified):
> Warlock's 'Crushing Despair' (spell) + 'Scare' (spell, shaken on failed save) + 'Hypnotism' (spell, -3 Will save on cast for 8s)​
> Enlightened Spirit's 'Aura of Menace [C4]'
> Soul Eater's 'Taint the Blood [T1]' (-1 Fort save for 6s, stacks 4x) on Eldritch Blasts via aura + Eldritch Burst + Spirit Blast​
> Exalted Angel's 'Shadows Upon You [T3]' (for 20s, stacks 5x)​
> PRR, MRR and AC:
> Exalted Angel's 'Shadows Upon You [T3]' (for 20s, stacks 5x)​
> Negative levels:
> Warlock's 'Enervation' (spell)
> Strip Fire energy immunity:
> Tiefling's 'Improved Scorch [T4]' via SLA: Scorch 'Ash [T3]'
> Fire Vulnerability = 5%:
> Tiefling's 'Improved Scorch [T4]' via SLA: Scorch 'Ash [T3]'
5. Party buffs:
> via Enlightened Spirit's 'Eldritch Aura [C1]'
> Temp Hit Points (= double your Constitution)​
> 'Brilliance [T4]'
> PRR
> 'Spiritual Bastion [T2]'
> MRR
> 'Spiritual Ward [T3]'
> Healing Amplification
> 'Beacon [T5]'
> Saves vs Fear
> 'Aura of Courage [C2]'
> AC
> 'Spiritual Defense [T1]'
> via spell casting:
> Temp Hit Points (= your Charisma):
> Tainted Scholar's 'Feigned Health [T1]'

Key stats & synergies

Key abilities toolbar (main rotation):
Warlock-Fiend-Key-abilities-toolbar.jpg

A. Main spell DCs:
> Necromancy (101+)
> Conjuration (101+)
> Enchantment (95+)​
> Evocation (95+)​
> buffable: +2 to all DCs {for 20s, every 60s}
> Tainted Scholar's 'Tainted Spellcasting [C1]' (uses Depravity charges)
B. Reduced spell cooldowns (faster CC + Killing!)
> -10%: Draconic Incarnation's 'Dragonspeed [T4]'​
C. Main Spell Powers:
Warlock-Fiend-Spellpowers.jpg

> buffable:
> Metamagic feats​
> +150 Spell Power: Maximise Spell
> +75 Spell Power: Empower Spell
> 'Wellspring of power' (feat) {for 30s, 180s cooldown}
[double duration with Draconic Incarnation's 'Pull from the Wellspring [T4]']
> +150 Universal Spell Power
> +20% Universal Spell Critical Damage

> Tainted Scholar's: 'Tainted Spellcasting [C1]' (Depravity charges) {for 20s, every 60s}
> +25 Universal Spell Power

D. Strong Spell Critical damage:
> Tainted Scholar​
> +10% All: 'Tainted Lore [C2]'​
> +20% All: 'Tainted Lore [C4]'​
> Tiefling's 'Incineration [T3]'​
> +2% Fire: 'Incineration I [T3]'​
> Epic Spell Power feats​
> +10% Fire +5% All: 'Epic Spell Power: Fire'​
> +10% Light +5% All: 'Epic Spell Power: Light'​
> Scion (feat)​
> +15% Fire +10% All: 'Scion of the Plane of Fire'​
> Dino crafting​
> +10% insightful Fire: 'Fang slot'​
> +5% quality Fire: 'Claw slot'​
> buffable:
> 'Wellspring of power' (feat) {for 30s, 180s cooldown}
[double duration with Draconic Incarnation's 'Pull from the Wellspring [T4]']
> +20% Universal Spell Critical Damage
E. Extra damage:
> DoTs (proccing on aura + spellcasting):
> Draconic Incarnation's Mantle: 'Attune the Arcane: Inevitable [T1 & 3]'​
> Dripping with Magma (Legendary Dragon armor)
> Shadowfang's Curse + untyped damage (Dino crafting weapon)
> Alchemical Water Attunement (Alchemical orb)
F. Spell Point pool/ cost reduction:
> +10% max pool:​
> Exalted Angel's 'Deepening faith [C2]'​
> Extra Spell Points:
> Otto's Irrevocable Power & Lunar Magic (filigree set bonuses)​
> Exalted Angel's & Draconic Incarnation's [C1-4]​
> Tainted Scholar's 'Planar Power [T1]'​
> +300 temp Spell Points with Draconic Incarnation's 'Pull from the Wellspring [T4]' via 'Wellspring of Power'​
> Spell Point cost reductions:​
> -15% Draconic incarnation's [C2-4]​
> -10% Dino crafted weapon (Shadowscale)​
G. Survivability (after all, soul stones do zero dps):
> Hit Points bonus = +20%:​
Competence bonus
> +20%: Enlightened Spirit's 'Celestial Spirit [C5]'​
> Strong temporary Hit Point generation:​
> temp HP = 8x Constitution score {lasts 10mins, cooldown 30s}
> Enlightened Spirit's 'Shining Through [T5]'​
> temp HP = 2x Constitution score {Aura, every 2s}
> Enlightened Spirit's 'Brilliance [T4]'​
> temp HP = Charisma score (procs on buff spell casting)​
> Tainted Scholar's 'Feigned health [T1]'​
> temp HP = 50% max Hit Points {for 1 min, penalty to CON until rest}
> Tainted Scholar's 'Stanch [C3]'​
> Moderate damage mitigation = 125+ PRR & MRR (each)​
> Concealment = 50%:​
> 'SLA: Displacement' (Enlightened Spirit's SLA spell [T5])​
> Incorporeality = 10%:
> Legendary Wraithborn augment​
I share some strategies for general defensiveness and survival in this thread. Come visit if you feel it could be useful to you!

The 'core elements' of the build

Class(es): Warlock (20)
Race: Tiefling
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral (Fiend pact requires any non-Good)
Main stat: Charisma (level ups here)
Starting stats (34 pts): STR: 08/ DEX: 08/ CON: 18/ INT: 10/ WIS: 08/ CHA: 20
Skills: Spellcraft/ Use Magic Device/ Tumble (1 point)

Feats:
Warlock-Fiend-Feats.jpg

Heroic enhancements: 83 = 80 + 2 (Racial tomes) + 1 (Universal tome)
Warlock-Fiend-Heroic-enhancs.jpg

Epic Destinies: 65 = 61 + 1 (Tome of Fate +3) + 2 (Fey & Dread tomes) + 1 (Historic tome)
Warlock-Fiend-Epic-Destinies.jpg

N.B: ED multi-selector choices:
> Exalted Angel​
> C4: Heavenly Wrath​
> T3: Conjuration DCs​
> T4: Enhanced Metamagic - Quicken​
> T5: Holy Fireball​
> Draconic Incarnation​
> T3: Necromancy DCs​
> T4: Energy Vortex​

Spells:
Warlock-Fiend-Spells.jpg

Suggestions for gear
(not part of the core build: choices based on what supports the main aims of the build best, with the intention to suggest/ inspire)

Gear Set bonuses:
Warlock-Fiend-Gear-Set-bonuses.jpg

Gear:
(PS: Some choices ref gear cater to a much larger personal scheme/tetris where items need to get shared between several alts at endgame, where I
normally play in reaper mode 6-10 skulls).

Warlock-Fiend-Gear-set-labelled.jpg

Rings-of-Spell-Storing.jpg

Most important augments to slot:
+2 profane/ +1 except All Ability scores
+2 festive Charisma
+6 equip Necromancy; Conjuration, and Evocation DCs
+2 enhanc Necromancy; Conjuration, Enchantment, and Evocation DCs
+5% insight All Spell Critical chance
Touch of Power set (+25 artefact Universal Spell Power)
+19 Spellcraft skill
+5 insight/ +2 festive Constitution
+1 Imbue dice
+32 Sheltering/ Ghostly/
+100% Fortification/ +10 resist All Saves
+48 Hit Points
Meridiam Fragment

(Suggestions for where to slot them in the DDOBuilder file for this build).

Main Filigree Set bonuses:
Warlock-Fiend-Filigree-Set-bonuses.jpg

Filigrees: 14 = 10 (weapon) + 4 (artefact)
Warlock-Fiend-Filigrees-all.jpg

Filigree master plan:
  1. Primarily invest in Spell DC and Charisma.
  2. Spell Power and Imbue Dice are secondary aims, if/when possible to squeeze in
  3. other effects get the least priority

I am always happy to read, consider and respond to constructive comments/ suggestions / feedback that are provided in a polite and friendly manner. I welcome discussions with anyone who is capable (and willing) to do this. Some discussions may lead to both parties simply agreeing to disagreeing - that's absolutely fine, everyone is entitled to their opinion after all!

Last edited:

Kalibano

Extra suggestion to make the most of this thread:

I do recommend having Maetrim's DDOBuilder open while looking at my threads, as this will enable you to:
- hover over the abilities listed and learn more about them
- experiment with changing things and seeing if they would work better for you, before doing it in the live game
- get a general overview of the key aspects of the build

I arrange my DDOBuilder screen as per the image below (not this build in the image), as it helps me view the key aspects of my builds far more easily than opening and closing a bunch of windows. Just thought I'd share, in case its useful:
Maetrim-s-DDOBuilder-sample.jpg

Maetrim's builder is really amazing, I highly recommend it!

Last edited:

Fisto Mk I

> Dripping with Magma (Legendary Dragon armor)
> Draconic Incarnation's Mantle: 'Attune the Arcane: Inevitable [T1 & 3]'

As you know, i adept of use DwM... but afaik DwM not stacks with Attune the Arcane for Red Dragon heritage because same type damage proc. Work well for any other Dragon... exclude Red. So you need change your dragon heritage or change mantle ( i prefer PA for more ID, healing/temp hp, +5% Insight Hp bonus from Nature's Blessing and other obvious benefits). ;)

> Shadowfang's Curse + untyped damage (Dino crafting weapon)
Very weak damage and proc, must be changed to Meltfang.

Kalibano

As you know, i adept of use DwM... but afaik DwM not stacks with Attune the Arcane for Red Dragon heritage because same type damage proc. Work well for any other Dragon... exclude Red. So you need change your dragon heritage or change mantle ( i prefer PA for more ID, healing/temp hp, +5% Insight Hp bonus from Nature's Blessing and other obvious benefits). ;)

Hey Fisto. Thanks for your input :)
That's a big shame ref the Mantle and DwM. There is so much passive damage going that it's been hard to notice the mantle did not proc it.
Changing it to a different mantle is just not going to be a good option, as the DI mantle seems a lot more powerful than the other caster ones.

Having said so ref the DI mantle, if my observations were right (I have not done systematic testing) DwM procs on warlock aura, eldritch burst attack, spirit Blast attack and regular spell casting (e.g. Holy fireball, Sun bolt, scorch, etc.), so the Magma proc is always there.

Ref Shadowfang vs Melftfang: I've had different advice given ref this (on different Discord channels), and the advice keeps changing, so not consistent. Some say Shadowfang is great, others Melftfang. Since this char has a good amount of Force spell power, crit chance and crit damage, I decided to go for Shadowfang. There are reports that these DoTs do get affected by spell power (it seems they do via some basic testing I've done myself). If that's the case, my Force would seem to be better than acid.

Always appreciate comments/suggestions, thanks again!

Kalibano

Did some very basic testing, and all the DoTs seem to be there (but again, likely being procced by the warlock aura)

Warlock-Do-T-test-1.jpg

Warlock-Do-T-test-2.jpg

Last edited:

Kalibano

Updated the Starting Stats to include how many points the build has (in brackets).
Hopefully this helps avoid confusion :)

Kalibano

love this build only issue I had was with constructs and things that are immune to fire damage during the leveling process
Thanks for the comment, and really glad you like the build.

Are you using the Tiefling race by any chance? Its tier 4 Improved Scorch will deal with fire immunity:
"Enemies affected by your Scorch spell increase Fire damage that they take by 5%. When cast on a creature that is immune to Fire, it makes them vulnerable to that element for a short period of time."

You might want to invest points there early on, and then remember to always start your cycle of spells with the Scorch SLA from the racial tree.

One of the ways I found efficient to play this char is:
- cast Crushing Despair followed by Evards
- cast Circle of Death

- cast Dragon Breath: Vortex and fly to them with Angelic Charge (does damage when you land)
- [sometimes cast Howl of Terror first] cast Scorch
then you can cast Wail of Banshee, Trap the Soul, Finger of Death, Hurl to Hell, while the aura keeps doing damage for you
Just don't forget to re-apply Scorch every so often, as the immunity strip debuff doesn't last very long
In between the single-target insta-kills, you can also dish some AoE damage: Holy Fireball, Eldritch Burst, Spirit Blast, Sun Bolt, etc.

Hope these comments are helpful!

Last edited:
Thanks for the comment, and really glad you like the build.

Are you using the Tiefling race by any chance? It's tier 4 Improved Scorch will deal with fire immunity:
"Enemies affected by your Scorch spell increase Fire damage that they take by 5%. When cast on a creature that is immune to Fire, it makes them vulnerable to that element for a short period of time."

You might want to invest points there early on, and then remember to always start your cycle of spells with the Scorch SLA from the racial tree.

One of the ways I found efficient to play this char is:
- cast Crushing Despair followed by Evards
- cast Circle of Death

- cast Dragon Breath: Vortex and fly to them with Angelic Charge (does damage when you land)
- [sometimes cast Howl of Terror first] cast Scorch
then you can cast Wail of Banshee, Trap the Soul, Finger of Death, Hurl to Hell, while the aura keeps doing damage for you
Just don't forget to re-apply Scorch every so often, as the immunity strip debuff doesn't last very long
In between the single-target insta-kills, you can also dish some AoE damage: Holy Fireball, Eldritch Burst, Spirit Blast, Sun Bolt, etc.

Hope these comments are helpful!
excellent, thanks so much for the reply.. a follow-up question, will scorch allow me not to heal things I am trying to kill? or should I use the suggested combo in that case

Kalibano

excellent, thanks so much for the reply.. a follow-up question, will scorch allow me not to heal things I am trying to kill? or should I use the suggested combo in that case
Scorch (with the trained Improved Scorch enhancement) should apply a immunity stripping de-buff on the first time you use it. This might mean the enemy will take no damage/ be healed on that first use, but from then on they will take damage.

It's the same with the Pale Master neg immunity stripping vs undead. I believe it's WAI, and the Devs are aware this is not ideal, but they might be having difficulties making it work straight away.

Hope this helps :)

Scorch (with the trained Improved Scorch enhancement) should apply a immunity stripping de-buff on the first time you use it. This might mean the enemy will take no damage/ be healed on that first use, but from then on they will take damage.

It's the same with the Pale Master neg immunity stripping vs undead. I believe it's WAI, and the Devs are aware this is not ideal, but they might be having difficulties making it work straight away.

Hope this helps :)
you are awesome i had to slightly adjust a couple of things now it runs like a dream! i appreciate the help!

Kalibano

Epic Destinies updated to include an extra point gained from unlocking Machrotecnic.

N.B. At this point in time, my builds will NOT include the +1 Universal Tree (Morgrave) bonus.
Unfortunately, for those of us who actively play several alts, the
Ultimate Bundle offering bank space that is useful to one character only is, frankly, not an offer that adequately supports and incentivises playing with alts. Storage is still a massive issue (particularly for multi-alt players like me), that I sadly feel is still not being addressed in a fair and efficient manner. Since the Ultimate Bundle does not support my playstyle, I sadly chose not to support the game in an ultimate manner on this occasion.

Down the line, this tome will be acquired with DDO points (when I can combine double point sales + tome sale), and the builds that depend on universal trees will be the ones to receive suggestions on where to spend it first.

Kalibano

As several people have requested/suggested this (particularly in Discord), I am working towards sharing the DDOBuilder files for all my builds, since I use that program to do all my planning. Hopefully they will be valuable for using in conjunction with their respective forum threads.

The main thread for this build has been updated to include this, under the main title:
11. Kali's Warlock Fiend CC + Insta-kill + Offensive caster build
DDOBuilder file for this build. You can find and download Maetrim's DDOBuilder here.

Do let me know is anyone has issues downloading the file from Goggle Drive (fingers crossed I got all the settings right!)

Very hopeful this will be a useful addition to my threads: thanks to everyone who suggested this.

N.B.
I arrange my DDOBuilder screen as per the image below (not this build in the image), as it helps me view the key aspects of my builds far more easily than opening and closing a bunch of windows. Just thought I'd share my experience, in case its useful:
Maetrim-s-DDOBuilder-sample.jpg

Maetrim's builder is really amazing, I highly recommend it!

Last edited:

Kalibano

The main post has been edited to include buttons to click and expand info.
I used the spoiler tool, as it provided the effect I desired: there are no spoilers, though :)

The aim was to reduce potential visual overload, as well as the overall length of the main post. This creates potential to include more breakdowns.

I'd be keen to hear feedback from anyone who frequently visits my threads: do you prefer this layout?
I am nearly done with doing the same for all other builds: hope this enhances everyone's experience when visiting and exploring!

Some breakdowns have already been included, while re-formatting things.

Enjoy! :)

Fisto Mk I

Filigree suggestion:

- Lunar Magic set
+ To Hell and Back/Embraced by Light rare to Artifact
+ To Hell and Back +1 Cha rare
- Eye of Beholder +2 PRR/+3MRR
+ EoB/Grave raid rare +2 Int +8USP
+ 1 Cha any rare filigree

+2 Cha, +8USP, +1 Spellcraft, +1MRR, +3PRR

8)