Lack of sound

Baahb3

I have had a lingering issue for several years but it seems to have gotten worse of late. I don't know if it is a game client issue or a Windows issue.

When I launch the game, sign in and then get to the character select screen, there are times when the Sound Device setting in the game does not recognize my default device. It just shows None, and the drop down shows no options. The only way to fix is to close DDO, relaunch and hope it works the next time.

I read somewhere that if your launcher is on a different monitor than where the game client opens, this can happen. I made sure this is not the case, but I still get this problem. DDO is the only game I play that has this issue. I have not played Lotro for many years to know if this happens on SSG's other game. Others in my guild experience this as well. I also get this on other computers I have. All of us are on Windows so it could be the problem but not sure since it does not happen with other games.

Right now, I would say it is about 20% of the time for me.

I wanted to check with the community to see if others have this issue as well and if anyone has any tips to stop or reduce this from happening.

Mobius

Yep, I do see this on rare occasions, and as you say, relogging is the only way to fix it. I've been running the 64-bit client for a good while now, but I'm not sure if it ever happened on the 32-bit client. In my case, it has only happened when I am running full screen.

Baahb3

I run the 64 bit client as well. I run in full screen windowed mode if that matters.

rabidfox

The People's Champion

Sturmbb

I have had a lingering issue for several years but it seems to have gotten worse of late. I don't know if it is a game client issue or a Windows issue.

When I launch the game, sign in and then get to the character select screen, there are times when the Sound Device setting in the game does not recognize my default device. It just shows None, and the drop down shows no options. The only way to fix is to close DDO, relaunch and hope it works the next time.

I read somewhere that if your launcher is on a different monitor than where the game client opens, this can happen. I made sure this is not the case, but I still get this problem. DDO is the only game I play that has this issue. I have not played Lotro for many years to know if this happens on SSG's other game. Others in my guild experience this as well. I also get this on other computers I have. All of us are on Windows so it could be the problem but not sure since it does not happen with other games.

Right now, I would say it is about 20% of the time for me.

I wanted to check with the community to see if others have this issue as well and if anyone has any tips to stop or reduce this from happening.
This is happens to me. I have a second monitor and if i log in and than starting using my second monitor to browse the internet etc while the game loads, i would say about 20% of the time i get no sound and if i go into the sound options the drop down box on the playback device just states N/A. As long as i don't use my second monitor while launching the game i find it very rarely happens. If it does a quick restart of the game usually fixes it.

This is the only game it happens to, I don't have any problems running steam, gog, epic games.

I also have just started LOTRO and it doesn't happen on that game, but again i don't use my second monitor while launching the game.

Brac

I have had this happen also. I only have one monitor so I don't think that has anything to do with it. Just DDO doing DDO things.

Savage

Phoenicis' Wife
happened for me evry now and then, now starting a few weeks ago it happens a lot for me, like at least 2 out of 5 times I get no sound and have to restart the launcher.

CherryBomb

I know that my wired headphones worked well most all the time, but my Bluetooth headphones have intermittent outages. The Bluetooth devices can also cause the game to crash when changing devices because of battery issues.

Biggdaddy

It stopped happening to me when I read in another thread that the biggest cause is when you click out of the DDO window while it's loading. It's worked flawless when I just let DDO load and do its thing. Once you get to the character selection screen, and the sound is working, you're good to go.

LV