Large scale battles!

unbongwah

I want " battle of five armies"
battle for minas tirith
Some of my favorite MMO gaming moments were in Tabula Rasa (RIP), during the PvE base assault / defense missions when you have hordes of players banding together to fight off waves of enemies. No idea how badly something like that would cripple DDO's servers, but I'd love it if they found a way to make something similar happen.

Arimov

What quests come close?

Sub quests

in the middle of a castle siege?
Armies going at it?
Arial combatants during the battle?

I want " battle of five armies"
battle for minas tirith

Let's take a city back or castle or dwarf mountain.

Not 6 or 12 taking on everything. I want to be in the middle of 1000s against 1000s
More background npc combat.

Numbers
Numbers
Numbers
That would be miniatures, OTB, a different type of game. It is an excellent idea, though. Possibly, something they could implement. They could, if they wanted to work hard enough, allow you to transition your DDO character into it, though with reduced functionality (most likely). Excellent idea for a game!

Natashaelle

Time Bandit
Best one in AD&D was the 1E module UK3 : The Gauntlet.

Players have to defend a castle against a siege army of hobgoblins.

Leadbelly

The one in the twelve where you have to "launch" to the flying castle is close. Cool idea, though. Maybe retaking a city/castle/dwarven stronghold could be quests where the dungeons are broken down into the sections of the area to be attacked?

Leadbelly, aka the Canadian from the Hammer

Boondocks Mike

I actually like the idea of having to participate in a large scale battle in a dwarven fortress/mountain as long as it was broken up over multiple quests and the player's participation did not focus on ultra large scale combat.

It's unlikely DDO could handle a large enough number of mobs to actually provide the "army" level of combat experience.

Personally I'm very disinterested in the idea in general. If you want this I recommend playing WoW, lots of large scale battles which you, the chosen one, must singlehandedly win with appropriate crowds for you to stand out from.

FuzzyDuck81

In theory pretty cool but yeah, the servers would probably end up on fire... there's a reason the old mabar event was closed down in favour of the new night revels with small instanced quests. Moving between small groups with other stuff going on at a distance (to curse the sky has this approach) to give the appearance of the larger conflict is your best bet. Breaking the ranks is a good one for the "one against an army" approach, or weapon shipment as mentioned above. Just for laughs occasionally I like to go in those on a capped character using shadowdancer & hit shadow mastery plus uncanny dodge, it's hilarious watching everything just fall down dead while doing backflips.