LFM

WildJax

The game's population is very small to the point its almost impossible to do some of the raids unless you have a static group and most of those don't have room in them because the population is so small. Very tired of not being able to get groups together to get raids done every other mmo has the ability now to use cross server match making for anything. Why do we not have that here?

Upvote 3

Lazuli

Many of us want lfms cross-servers, but we wonder if the game would be able to support it. Devs have never deigned to explain whether it is technically possible or not, so it is just speculation on our part.

In any case, upvoted, I agree. If it is not possible, at least we deserve a dev to tell us that it is not possible.

I advise you to edit the title of the post for something like "Cross-server lfms" to make it clear what your suggestion is about. Vague titles cause fewer people to read topics, especially devs.

Dandonk

This is not the title you're looking for
Yeah, has been suggested before, but would still be a great idea. If it's possible. Which I have no idea about.

Arch-Necromancer

It probably is a technical issue.

Just consider the following:

We know that each server has a separate database for items and characters and guilds and who knows what.

And the game currently works only with one such database.

If you added anything cross-server, you would need to somehow work with multiple databases at once.

And how would you then handle a case where two same-named players (but from different servers) enter the same quest/raid?

How would you handle loading of items from multiple databases when you can have two items with the same id? And when you pull a new item from the chest, what id would it get?

I think that it may be easier for them to just do a server merge than to implement a system that could work out the above mentioned problems.

That's why we also do not have cross-server auction house. Every item probably has its unique copy in the database and the system cannot simply work with multiple different databases because the ids would clash. You would somehow have to make a copy of every item in some shared database and then map it to a specific server item. It is just a real project to implement and they probably do not have resources for that kind of thing.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
Many of us want lfms cross-servers, but we wonder if the game would be able to support it. Devs have never deigned to explain whether it is technically possible or not, so it is just speculation on our part.
There was a Q&A with Sev where he mentioned it once. From what I recall, beyond the system never having been designed for it, he mentioned 'recovering from failed teleport' type errors and if that kind of issue happened while your data was being bounced around between worlds then things would go sideways very very very badly with you being lost to the void.

Toede

These servers seem to not even be able to handle over 400 concurrent players at one time. I can only imagine the dumpster fire that would result from trying to administer cross-server functionality. Characters that get lost in the void, or getting permanently stuck on a server other than your home after a raid, etc. The possibilities are endless.

WildJax

These servers seem to not even be able to handle over 400 concurrent players at one time. I can only imagine the dumpster fire that would result from trying to administer cross-server functionality. Characters that get lost in the void, or getting permanently stuck on a server other than your home after a raid, etc. The possibilities are endless.
sounds to me like you're saying the game is to old and its time to shelve it.

Lazuli

There was a Q&A with Sev where he mentioned it once. From what I recall, beyond the system never having been designed for it, he mentioned 'recovering from failed teleport' type errors and if that kind of issue happened while your data was being bounced around between worlds then things would go sideways very very very badly with you being lost to the void.
Yes, this game doesn't seem to be able to tolerate many technological flourishes. But if a dev said it in this same forum instead of in a stream, we would save many of these topics. What is written lasts longer, finding what has been said in a stream after a few months is much more difficult.

gurth83

It probably is a technical issue.

Just consider the following:

We know that each server has a separate database for items and characters and guilds and who knows what.

And the game currently works only with one such database.

If you added anything cross-server, you would need to somehow work with multiple databases at once.

And how would you then handle a case where two same-named players (but from different servers) enter the same quest/raid?
Is this really an issue? Just add some postfix to displayed name, maybe server name. I suppose real name change is not needed.
How would you handle loading of items from multiple databases when you can have two items with the same id? And when you pull a new item from the chest, what id would it get?
Use GUID as unique identifier. Solves all multiple database related issues.
I think that it may be easier for them to just do a server merge than to implement a system that could work out the above mentioned problems.
It would be option if one server could handle so many players. Anyway this never scales well. To be more flexible with amout of players playing game you need spread them across multiple servers. Right now players are stick to one server for whole live. In my opinion quest instances shoudl be entity that is orchestratied between multiple servers to distribute the load between many machines. Lets say there is matchmaking system. After players are moved to quest instacne u only need character and inventory data and you don't need to interact with items form your orgin server database. Just remove interaction with anything that is server based form quest instances (astral diamonds come to my mind). Don't know is there any action in quest that involves immediate database save to fitfull some relational check, but again with GUID data can be update after quest instance end, when players return to theirs orgin servers.
That's why we also do not have cross-server auction house. Every item probably has its unique copy in the database and the system cannot simply work with multiple different databases because the ids would clash. You would somehow have to make a copy of every item in some shared database and then map it to a specific server item. It is just a real project to implement and they probably do not have resources for that kind of thing.

Ofc I know its easy to say and much harder to implement. Mayby even DDO 2.0 would be easier to write form scratch than reimplementing current code base.