Longstanding raid issues I'd love to see addressed by the devs

axel15810

As someone who runs and leads raids weekly, here are some longstanding raid issues and bugs I’d love to see looked at by the devs. Obviously not expecting all of these to be addressed but if a dev can make the time to look at some of these and make some changes that would be awesome. I also don’t know if the devs are aware of some of these. Please feel free to add on to this list, I'm sure there's things I've forgotten.

Curse of Strahd

The sunsword gets stuck in stairs and cannot be picked up if sunsword bearer dies on the stairs, which means the raid becomes incompletable. Long standing issue that badly needs a fix.

If the sunsword is dropped in the card phase because the sunsword bearer dies (it autodrops on death), and it is not picked back up before everyone enters the end fight room, the raid becomes incompletable because you can’t kill Strahd without the sunsword and there is no way to exit the end fight room after you enter it. Either require the sunsword in order to enter the endfight room (just like the heart phase), put an exit door in that lets us go back to the card room, or allow ddoor to function again in the last room. Though if you go with option #3 the raid is still incompletable if the party happens to not have access to ddoor, so preferably implement solution #1 or #2.

Defiler of the Just

Even on reaper difficulties, the spawn rate is just so, so slow. Is there something the devs can do to increase how fast stuff spawns, so we can decrease the long amount of waiting that goes on in this raid? Most of the time in Defiler you’re just standing there doing nothing, waiting for stuff to spawn. It is incredibly damaging to the enjoyment of this raid.

Legendary Shroud

Usually the puzzles in the puzzle phase are already solved when entering. Seems to happen in about 80% of the runs I do. It is not always the case, but it usually is.

Phase 2 the mini-bosses come back at heroic health levels when they repawn, it seems. This also does not always happen, but it usually does.

Obviously what I’ve always assumed is chest load in lag is a big longstanding issue in Shroud that I’m not expecting to get fixed. But if it can be that’d be awesome.

I know the first 2 bugs mostly benefit players so few complain about them but I’d still like to see them fixed. Particularly the puzzle phase, I love actually doing the puzzles.

Hunt or be Hunted

Lag is a major issue in this raid. Either this or L Shroud is the laggiest raid in the game. Seems to me about 80% of the time this raid is fine, but 20% of the time you get a very laggy instance. I don’t know what exactly triggers it, I can’t be more specific than that.

Skeletons in the Closet

For the optional, let us put in the text in a more consolidated way. All at once if possible, but atleast one copy paste per corner would be amazing. Inputting the text every run is such a chore. If I've counted correctly, it's 31 separate copy and pastes every time you do the raid. It's incredibly tedious. I know there’s ways to manipulate the game file to program the text in a script to ease the burden a bit here but we shouldn’t have to do that.

Legendary Hound of Xoriat

Is there any reason why the thread drop rate is so low in this raid? Can we get an increase?

Riding the Storm Out

I’d recommend decreasing how much the electric DoT hits for in standard difficulties. By all means keep the damage where it’s at on reaper, however. But it’s a raid people hate doing because the DoT damage is such a bottleneck for participation. And that's fine for reaper, but for lower difficulties I think lowering the damage is warranted.

Caught in the Web/Too Hot to Handle

Can we get some kind of sound added that plays when you actually connect on a melee attack on the bosses in these raids? With these bosses that exist off the stage it's very easy in melee to not know if you're hitting these bosses or swinging at air, and adding some kind of sound when you do land an attack would solve this.

Temple of the Deathwyrm

The mirrors will sometimes bug out to where the light won't bounce off of them even when turned in the correct direction. When this happens you have to turn the mirrors all the way around again to fix it and trigger the light. This is also an issue in any other place in DDO where these same mirror puzzles exist.

Killing Time/Riding the Storm Out

It would be great if devs could remove the level 28 and level 27 level gating for these raids. It’s an outlier and I don’t see any reason for it to exist, devs have clearly gone away from this mechanic as newer raids don’t have it so I’d assume SSG would agree.

General

Can raid timers start on completion of a raid, instead of upon turning in the quest? People being on timer because they forgot to turn in the raid last time they ran it is a constant occurrence. I know this would cut into raid timer sales in the store, but it has always felt really bad to have to buy a timer because you didn’t claim your end reward the last time you ran it. I understand this is a big ask, but it would be so nice. Can't tell you how many people have dropped from my groups in the past because they forgot to turn in the raid the last time they ran it.

Can we get more incentives to run older raids on a challenging difficulty? Older Legendary raids like Mark of Death, Deathwyrm, Defilier, etc. are a breeze for an average party on R1 and there’s very little practical reason to increase skulls. I’d propose a small increase in thread drops for each additional skull. This would give more of a reason to bump up skulls. More reaper XP would be great too (the reaper XP per minute is really low for raids for the most part) but I understand if devs don’t want raids being designed to be farmed for that.

Remove flagging. I know the devs are aware of this and want to do it, and that it is often not a straightforward process to do. But obviously any flagging that can be removed for any raid would be welcome to help people fill groups easier.

Make all death timers clear when a raid completes. It would save a lot of dead waiting time at the end of raids.

Last edited:

CBDunk

Waiting: My group generally does Defiler with just three people and thus sometimes appreciate the brief pauses between waves. That said, I agree with the general principle. This problem is even more pronounced in raids like Ascension Chamber and Fire on Thunder Peak where you spend as much time, if not more, waiting on some built in delay mechanic as actually doing things to complete the raid. Ideally, there'd be a way for players to 'trigger' the next phase whenever they were ready.

Melee hit indicator: There actually is a 'whack' sound when most melee attacks connect, but it can be difficult to hear over everything else going on. This is really an issue with large mobs in general. The 'floating text' for any damage done to them appears above their heads... and thus well off the screen for anyone in melee or even close range. Maybe the floating text logic could be adjusted to appear at a fixed height regardless of how large the mob is.

Flagging: Agree. Having to flag once is fine and even a good experience in most cases, but having to do so every life is just tedious.

HoopleHead

Not sure how it's even possible.. but we've run a couple of Defiler on R8 and the black Executioner Demons agro on someone way over on the other side of the map...
'Off to the Races' before it rubber bands and we lose that Archon isn't quite folks are prepared for.

Kielbasa

Curse of Strahd

Maybe use the "Singing Sword" graphic from feywild for whenever the sunsword is dropped so it is very obviously on the ground?

DoJ

I'd leave this one alone. I used to occasionally get a bad instance of it where spawns used to spawn non-stop. I think the wait time is baked into the raid now to prevent this from happening. Grab some music or a nice chatty raid group to pass the time.

Legendary Shroud

The only bug in the raid is the loot lag. The rest of it is a feature that without they would need to re-balance the whole raid around not worth development time tinkering with this one.

Hunt or be Hunted

This raid and any others where lag or such causes a wipe are the there to justify a couple people in your raid bringing beckon divinity. Those circles are super annoying when lag prevents you from seeing them.

Riding the Storm Out

Its a gear and build check. Is the lightning annoying for people who are unprepared absolutely. But its not that bad once you know what you need. A legendary ring of flickering steel or the equivalent greensteel/ legendary greensteel/ cannith crafted item and any form of self healing with a little healing amp.

The only bug fix needed here is when lag makes the puzzles unreadable such that you cannot see them light up.

Caught in the Web/Too Hot to Handle

I would love for there to be a way to adjust where your floaty damage numbers pop up on your screen.

General

The older raids with level 26 loot used to have lots of incentive to run them before the stat squish I had a full level 26 gear layout that I loved to use before level 20 saltmarsh made it obsolete. One way I can see making loot from 20-28 more interesting again is to let people augment set bonuses into them that don't up the minimum level to 30. There are lots of nice level 20 epic set bonuses in the game already just let me crunch one of those items into a set augment and put into an item I like and profit. Hey ssg you will sell more jeweler's kits this way!

That and why isn't there a 5th item from Strahd or Baba that completes the adherents of mist set by level 28 it has always irked me that I could only equip 4/5 at 28.

Agreed remove flagging from older content whenever possible. Or at least let flagging persist through the tring process.

Dandonk

This is not the title you're looking for
DoJ is really, really stupidly boring with the low spawn rate.

But all of these points are good.

LeoLionxxx

Lion of Orien
Some good notes here.

Curse of Strahd
If the sunsword is dropped in the card phase because the sunsword bearer dies (it autodrops on death), and it is not picked back up before everyone enters the end fight room, the raid becomes incompletable because you can’t kill Strahd without the sunsword and there is no way to exit the end fight room after you enter it. Either require the sunsword in order to enter the endfight room (just like the heart phase)...

Yes and: To allow anyone to enter the boss room, someone wielding the Sunsword needs to first slash at the Mist to open it. That would feel cool :cool:

vryxnr

For CoS, while not a bug, I also don't like how the shrine can only be used at a meaningful time if someone has DDoor.

For the L.Shroud revive/respawn bug in phase 2, afaik that only happens in reaper difficulties. In normal/hard/epic they revive at normal values. There are some other bugs regarding them in the lower difficulties though (specific ones on specific difficulties will not go back to revive when killed)

I reported the puzzles auto solving back when it first started (I was running it daily back then with alts, so I really noticed when it started happening). I was told in my email correspondence with that department "this will sometimes happen with random starting states" and that it was not a problem (even though the frequency went way beyond a statistical anomaly).

I too would like a better indicator of hitting Lolth and the Titan other than changing my chat tab to combat to see if you are hitting or not. Even moving where the floating damage numbers appear so their not inside the bosses bodies so you can actually see them.

vryxnr

For the Skellies good ending, even if it's always one line at a time, at least let us do the first 4 ghosts in any order / at the same time, so that multiple people in the raid can contribute to it's completion rather than relying on just one person who knows what to do to always do it solo, often with everyone else just waiting around for it to get done.

I personally greatly appreciate the secret and the long discovery process, but now that it (should be) the norm it'd be nice to have it be less painful for everyone involved.

Last edited:

CBDunk

Yeah, the cool thing about the Skeletons puzzle was the long quest to discover all the clues and put them together. Unfortunately, as designed, that can only be interesting ONCE... and every time after that it is just a task to be completed. In this case a rather long one.

I've mapped all 31 of the sayings to aliases (i.e. ;s1 - ;s31) and saved those as part of my UI layout so I can always have them available... and it still takes an inordinate amount of time. Indeed, the short teleports the ghosts do seem deliberately designed to make the process longer by forcing you to move between each saying. If they'd stay still you could have five people split up and, even if they still have to do everything in order, complete the whole process in maybe 15 seconds.

Blerkington

These changes would make a real improvement to the game. Please stop wasting your and our time by stuffing around with Amber Temple and Haunted Halls, and do something genuinely useful like this instead.

Elfishski

Defiler of the Just

Even on reaper difficulties, the spawn rate is just so, so slow. Is there something the devs can do to increase how fast stuff spawns, so we can decrease the long amount of waiting that goes on in this raid? Most of the time in Defiler you’re just standing there doing nothing, waiting for stuff to spawn. It is incredibly damaging to the enjoyment of this raid.

DOJ hasn't aged well as nothing but a DPS-check vs power creep. No objections to a timer reduction after killing archons/reinforcements, but solutions to make it more fun as is are "do it on higher reaper difficulty if it's too boring", or solo/duo it when you don't have a full raid group?

The other QOL request that has been made before for raids (*and why not everywhere) is to remove all death timers when the quest completes so that the full raid group of polite people don't have to wait 2 minutes to res someone who died a second before the boss.

dur

aka Cybersquirt
We have permanent feats for past lives that stick around through reincarnation. Being granted a “you are flagged” permanent feat for each raid after you’ve completed that raid would be really appreciated.
As a casual gamer that hasn't done most raids, this. I screwed myself out of 3 I was flagged for when I TR'd :confused:

This, on top of favor resetting, is why I just don't mess with TR much now.

axel15810

The other QOL request that has been made before for raids (*and why not everywhere) is to remove all death timers when the quest completes so that the full raid group of polite people don't have to wait 2 minutes to res someone who died a second before the boss.
This is a great add. I'll add to the OP.