My game freezes sometimes. Any tips to fix this?

lppmor

My game sometimes freezes for 2-4 seconds, and then resumes.
This definetely started occuring maybe around two weeks ago, after an update.

Any tips for fixing this?
Maybe something to do with 64 vs 32 bit version? Anything I can add in the command line? Some graphics change?

Greyhawk5

Was Amorais
Try the little down arrow in the launcher, at top right, click "options", click "repair", then click "repair game data". Could be a downloaded file thats got damaged or something when downloaded.

Fizban

Maybe something to do with 64 vs 32 bit version? Anything I can add in the command line? Some graphics change?
Move it to a warmer room.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
Is the game locking up or are you just experiencing game lag/hitching where things run in place? Because lag/hitching has been pretty bad lately for a bunch of folks I know.
Try swapping between 32 bit and 64 bit, try different directX versions (9/10/11) to see one plays smoother, check to see if you anti-virus is messing with the game, check if any you have any USB devices that might be causing issues (like USB game controllers/etc.).

Kiany

Is the game locking up or are you just experiencing game lag/hitching where things run in place? Because lag/hitching has been pretty bad lately for a bunch of folks I know.

Try swapping between 32 bit and 64 bit, try different directX versions (9/10/11) to see one plays smoother, check to see if you anti-virus is messing with the game, check if any you have any USB devices that might be causing issues (like USB game controllers/etc.).
I have a question about this. I have a pretty good computer that runs ddo as good as I'd imagine it gets. However, sometimes when I'm walking forward or turning my character with my keyboard, my character will keep running or keep turning when I release the key. It only continues for a second, but it's enough to run into a trap for instance.
Is this normal behavior? I don't notice an issue with my mouse at all.
For context, I do have a usb splitter that I plug my mouse and keyboard into. My son also leaves his ps5 headset dongle in the back of my pc, but if the headset is off I don't think think that should interfere with anything? Besides, the keyboard is not Bluetooth like the headset anyways.
I'm just wondering if it is a lag issue or would buying a new keyboard fix this.
The problem doesn't always persist either. I can run whole dungeons without it happening once, yet other times it happens tons of times in a dungeon

rabidfox

The People's Champion
Go into your settings and toggle this on. Put the little icon somewhere you can see if easily. If you see that run/turn stuff happening alongside your latency or loss spiking then it's network side. I don't generally have issues where I keep running like that (I personally get issues where I run place for a few seconds when the servers have issues but anything is possible); others might have experienced that.
wzb9tmG.jpeg

Kiany

Go into your settings and toggle this on. Put the little icon somewhere you can see if easily. If you see that run/turn stuff happening alongside your latency or loss spiking then it's network side. I don't generally have issues where I keep running like that (I personally get issues where I run place for a few seconds when the servers have issues but anything is possible); others might have experienced that.
wzb9tmG.jpeg
I'll try it out next time it happens. Thank you!

The Narc

I have a question about this. I have a pretty good computer that runs ddo as good as I'd imagine it gets. However, sometimes when I'm walking forward or turning my character with my keyboard, my character will keep running or keep turning when I release the key. It only continues for a second, but it's enough to run into a trap for instance.
Is this normal behavior? I don't notice an issue with my mouse at all.
For context, I do have a usb splitter that I plug my mouse and keyboard into. My son also leaves his ps5 headset dongle in the back of my pc, but if the headset is off I don't think think that should interfere with anything? Besides, the keyboard is not Bluetooth like the headset anyways.
I'm just wondering if it is a lag issue or would buying a new keyboard fix this.
The problem doesn't always persist either. I can run whole dungeons without it happening once, yet other times it happens tons of times in a dungeon
Maybe you are using a wireless keyboard and the info being sent is delayed.

lppmor

The game also lags here, but the freeze I'm talking about is different. It really freezes everything for a few seconds..

I think there's something to do with my hard drive. It goes to 100% when it freezes, I can see the spikes on Task Manager. But only happens in DDO.

Maybe it's time to buy an SSD.

Jummby

Download a different game.

Kiany

Maybe you are using a wireless keyboard and the info being sent is delayed.
I'm using a USB plug in mouse and keyboard. I do have them plugged into a USB extension though because where I have my pc, the original mouse and keyboard cords wouldn't reach the back of the pc. Is it possible that USB splitter is causing the issue? It's weird how it's only my keyboard though.
Also while I was playing today I noticed it usually happens at the same time that I get a little lag in the game.
When the quest completes and xp pops up on the screen for instance. Maybe I could try to record it somehow lol

lppmor

Went SSD years ago and never looked back. You won't regret it.
I just ordered a cheap SSD with 400 GB. Coming in a few days. Just for DDO :)

Can I keep using Windows and other system stuff on my usual HDD (don't want to reinstall everything), and install only my games on the SSD? Or for best performance I should have everything running on a single SSD?

Phoenicis

Savage's Husband
I just ordered a cheap SSD with 400 GB. Coming in a few days. Just for DDO :)

Can I keep using Windows and other system stuff on my usual HDD (don't want to reinstall everything), and install only my games on the SSD? Or for best performance I should have everything running on a single SSD?
for best performance, reinstall completely on the SSD.

That said, just adding the SSD to your system and installing your games on it will make a massive difference.