Mystery box on credit card payment screen

CherryBomb

There is a mystery box that wants a 5-digit entry. I have no idea what to enter. It is not the 3-digit security code. Entering any 5 digit value allows the submit button to appear, but the result is an error message. The box is identified with a "balloon"-shaped icon.

What is this mystery box:? Where do I find/get a valid 5-digit code?

Never have seen this before.

Ying

5000+ hours played
Perhaps it's a postal code. Sometimes that is used in conjunction with the 3-digit CVC to provide an additional level of authentication.

Posting a pic (without any identifiable info) of the UI element would be helpful.

Arkat

Founder & Super Hero
In the US we call them "ZIP Codes."

Those are, indeed, postal codes.

Last edited:

CherryBomb

I have an image with the box in question circled in red. However, the insert only allows for a web link. Not sure I want to create an account on some server and upload an image. This forum should just allow images to be uploaded. Would help to avoid stale links in the future.

You can see if for yourself, just pretend to buy some points and select credit card payment method. The 5-digit box is under the cc # and next to the expire month/year.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
I have an image with the box in question circled in red. However, the insert only allows for a web link. Not sure I want to create an account on some server and upload an image. This forum should just allow images to be uploaded. Would help to avoid stale links in the future.
Imgur is free and doesn't require an account. It's what I use when posting images here.

Ahpuch

The one with the balloon shaped icon is for ZIP/Postal Code. The balloon is supposed to look like a marker on a map.

It is laid out like:
CC Number
MM YY ZIP
NAME
and off to the side trying to look like the back of the card is the security number.

Not certain why it doesn't seem like a zip to you but that is what it is for.

WargamerIV

Here in the US the 5 digit Zip Code is another layer of security. Even if you if have a credit card in hand (and therefore have the other information Ahpuch has listed) if you just found or stole the card you don't know the person's Zip Code although if the card was in a wallet with their Driver's License that would have the Zip Code.

Cordovan

Community Manager
Not a zip code. A roll-over or ? hint on the credit card screen would be most helpful.

You can see if for yourself, just pretend to buy some points and select credit card payment method. The 5-digit box is under the cc # and next to the expire month/year.

What leads you to believe it is not asking for a zip code? Do you have a zip code or are you in a part of the world that doesn't use zip codes?

In terms of the image, we cannot allow the forums to become a storage site for imagery for security and other reasons. If you can't or won't use something like Imagur, feel free to email ddo@standingstonegames.com with your screenshot included. Please do consider getting us a screenshot of what you are seeing if possible. Thanks!

CherryBomb

I gave up on my credit card. A friend made the points purchase using their card. It worked.

Things learned from this experience:
1 DDO hates my CC.
2 A new form of verification (zip code) is now in use to make purchases.
3 ...

Thanks Jerry for the response.

Kimbere

Also, if you use any sort of adblocker extension in your browser, you may want to try disabling it for that page. Adblockers love to hate captchas and other things of that nature.