name reservation for all of DDO

Chacka

I know that's not an entirely new idea of mine that no one has ever had. For example, Ashes of Creation is going to implement a similar feature. However, I think it would be a good idea for Dungeons & Dragons Online (DDO) to allow players to reserve a name for a price.

I understand that many players choose fun names for each character that may not make sense to me, and that's perfectly fine. But some players, like myself, would like to have a distinct name so that others can easily identify us. Recently, I had an experience where another player seemed upset (he send me a tell if I know that I play with an "imposer" and he seemed to be serious) because someone else was using "his" name, and they thought it belonged to them exclusively. I spoke to both players to understand their perspectives. It turned out to be a simple misunderstanding related to the name the player with the name was not even aware that this is a problem for another player. Similarly, I have encountered a recurring issue with the name "Chacka" in previous hardcore seasons. It seems that someone always takes that name but never actually plays the character beyond level 1, making it appear as if the character was never used and the only purpose of that act was to occupy this name.
And I know Strimtom and others had a similar problem so it's clearly not only me who gets "harrassed" in that way.
While this issue isn't a major concern for me personally, I believe it's a problem that could be addressed to improve the situation for others as well.

In my view, the solution would be to allow players who care about a specific name to have the option of reserving it across all of DDO. This means that only your account would be able to create a character with that name on any server. If anyone else already has that name on any server, they would be given that name with an addition like "-1" after a server move, and they would also be provided with a free name change option.

However, my idea goes even further. I would like to see this name reservation work as a kind of alias. This means that even if you play a character with a different in-game name, if someone sends a tell to your DDO-wide name, you would still receive the message. You would appear on their friends list and in the "who" list with both your character's name and the DDO-wide name. Of course, this feature should be optional, so no one is forced to use it if they prefer to remain anonymous.

Implementing these changes would require significant effort from the DDO development team, but I believe it could be a valuable feature that benefits players. Additionally, there are opportunities for SSG (Standing Stone Games) to monetize this feature in different ways. For example, it could be included as part of the subscription service, allowing subscribers to reserve a name for all of DDO. Alternatively, players could have the option to permanently reserve a name by paying a price, either in DDO points or real money (e.g., $50 or 7,000 DDO points).

Thorodd

I like the concept but with DDO being over 16 years old there are a lot of names out there that are used be different people on different servers. I have some alts that I may be persuaded to rename for the right price.

I really like the alias concept but there needs to be an easy way to be able to respond back with your alias of with the alt you are on. Also you may not want people to know your alts so there should be option to shield against that

The Narc

Not sure why people dont want people to know about their alts unless they are up to something shady, or i guess the could be avoiding some in game stalker??

As for the i can pay to own some name and if somebody already has that name they get a name-1, definitely would not like to see this happen, from day one of this game it was said names are on a first come first serve basis and do not have any ownership, i dont steal names but i couldnt careless if someones name or a name i like is stolen, just pick a different name.

The forums were the exception as these were moved to a new forum and they wanted people to retain their existing names not because of ownership but because they had a reputation as a certain forumite, this was understandable.

I recognize you as chacka, but if some low life wants to steal your name just for the fact of doing i, just move on and pick a new name like chackka or chackkka, everyone will still know its you.

If you open this pandora’s bix of name claiming thisnwill become a full time job for SSG.
I

J1NG

I can do things others can't...
Not sure why people dont want people to know about their alts unless they are up to something shady, or i guess the could be avoiding some in game stalker??

Well, not exactly shady, but for me, kinda. I exist on all (SSG) servers for example, but as my main, I don't care if anyone knows who I am and where I am in game on my main (on each server).

However, I have some alts that I deliberately anonymize and don't want other players to know about, as I don't want players to recognise that J1NG is taking an unnamed alt towards X Quest a lot and by no rights should be dying that fast (respawning and going back in), so players then 'sus that J1NG is either testing out a bug or exploit in game. Bug hunting? Fine. Exploit testing? Not fine, as it gives others a heads up on certain stuff/areas being exploit potentials (whatever the exploits may be) by doing Y builds or going to X areas, etc.

J1NG

Eltronin

Kobolds don't matter
No for me. If you have one server where you didn't use your name and someone grabs it, pays the fee, now they own your name on the servers you actively play. If two people have the same name on two different servers, have been playing for almost an equal amount of time, how do you take their name away? Wouldn't work after how long the game has been going.

The Narc

Well, not exactly shady, but for me, kinda. I exist on all (SSG) servers for example, but as my main, I don't care if anyone knows who I am and where I am in game on my main (on each server).

However, I have some alts that I deliberately anonymize and don't want other players to know about, as I don't want players to recognise that J1NG is taking an unnamed alt towards X Quest a lot and by no rights should be dying that fast (respawning and going back in), so players then 'sus that J1NG is either testing out a bug or exploit in game. Bug hunting? Fine. Exploit testing? Not fine, as it gives others a heads up on certain stuff/areas being exploit potentials (whatever the exploits may be) by doing Y builds or going to X areas, etc.

J1NG
Oh you have stalkers??

Arkat

Founder & Super Hero
I'd like to be Arkat on all the DDO servers.

I'd probably pay something for that privilege.

Chacka

No for me. If you have one server where you didn't use your name and someone grabs it, pays the fee, now they own your name on the servers you actively play. If two people have the same name on two different servers, have been playing for almost an equal amount of time, how do you take their name away? Wouldn't work after how long the game has been going.
I'll give you an example. I had a character named Chacka on the Ghallanda server. After that, I created a character named Chacka on the German server and then on another European server. The name "Chacka" was essentially created by me and has nothing to do with the singer Chaka or Shaka Zulu, for example.

On Ghallanda, I had a small guild that consisted mostly of just myself. The guild name was Magna Charta, which was the name of my old guild in EverQuest. Now, I have moved to the Orien server and found that there is another player using the name Chacka. When I added Chacka to my friend list, I noticed that he is in a guild named Magna Charta as well. Pretty strange, no? And quite obviously not just an accident

It's quite obvious that someone deliberately took my name for unknown reasons. They might be a "fan" or someone who dislikes me, but I don't see why it's right for them to occupy the name Chacka.

Overall, the situation is not as dramatic as you may think. The main point is that anyone who currently has a name that is being reserved for a fee (meaning that a player is willing to pay to have a specific name reserved) will receive a suffix like -1, similar to what happened to me. They can then change their name for free or choose to reserve a similar name exclusively for themselves.

I actually like this idea, especially for the hardcore server. It ensures that no one can intentionally occupy names just only to harass someone else.

Eltronin

Kobolds don't matter
I'll give you an example. I had a character named Chacka on the Ghallanda server. After that, I created a character named Chacka on the German server and then on another European server. The name "Chacka" was essentially created by me and has nothing to do with the singer Chaka or Shaka Zulu, for example.

On Ghallanda, I had a small guild that consisted mostly of just myself. The guild name was Magna Charta, which was the name of my old guild in EverQuest. Now, I have moved to the Orien server and found that there is another player using the name Chacka. When I added Chacka to my friend list, I noticed that he is in a guild named Magna Charta as well. Pretty strange, no? And quite obviously not just an accident

It's quite obvious that someone deliberately took my name for unknown reasons. They might be a "fan" or someone who dislikes me, but I don't see why it's right for them to occupy the name Chacka.

Overall, the situation is not as dramatic as you may think. The main point is that anyone who currently has a name that is being reserved for a fee (meaning that a player is willing to pay to have a specific name reserved) will receive a suffix like -1, similar to what happened to me. They can then change their name for free or choose to reserve a similar name exclusively for themselves.

I actually like this idea, especially for the hardcore server. It ensures that no one can intentionally occupy names just only to harass someone else.
So DDO adds this feature, the person on Orien server with Chacka pays the fee and gets the name on all servers. Now you have to change your name or keep the -1 on it on all the other servers. You just lost your name. Strimtom (using him as an example) is a well known Content Creator. Someone logs on before him and pays the fee, he now loses his well known name to someone else. This will cause problems that don't need to exist and if people have the same name on different servers, cause them to lose recognition to their friends as they need to change their name.

Chacka

So DDO adds this feature, the person on Orien server with Chacka pays the fee and gets the name on all servers. Now you have to change your name or keep the -1 on it on all the other servers. You just lost your name. Strimtom (using him as an example) is a well known Content Creator. Someone logs on before him and pays the fee, he now loses his well known name to someone else. This will cause problems that don't need to exist and if people have the same name on different servers, cause them to lose recognition to their friends as they need to change their name.
As Cordovan stated for the new Forum, name sniping is not tolerated by SSG. If someone pays the fee and attempts to occupy the name "Strimtom," there should be a way for Strimtom to request SSG to return his name.

So it is highly probable that Strimtom pays the fee and no longer has to worry about another player occupying his name or impersonating him on any server. Therefore, it would likely be very advantageous for Strimtom.

I understand that my name is by far not as widely known as Strimtom's, and there are other players who are even less known than Chacka. However, the idea is to give every player the opportunity to reserve the name they want to be recognized by. Notice I strongly believe in equal rights for everyone!

Furthermore, there are likely many names that active players would like to use but are currently held by players who no longer play DDO.

Please don't misunderstand me; I'm not claiming that my idea is perfect and will satisfy everyone. However, I believe it is something that would benefit the majority of players who care for their main-character's names.

J1NG

I can do things others can't...
As Cordovan stated for the new Forum, name sniping is not tolerated by SSG.

Actually, I believe that was for the forums only, and thereby for players with history on the (previous) forum already where it is easier to see where a player has obtained some level of influence or authenticity/authority and not only they want a name back for use if it was sniped (taken) by another and effectively utilised in a manner to sully the name, but also to help provide continuity if users have begun following particular users or recognise particular users when they start posting in threads.

If someone pays the fee and attempts to occupy the name "Strimtom," there should be a way for Strimtom to request SSG to return his name.

So it is highly probable that Strimtom pays the fee and no longer has to worry about another player occupying his name or impersonating him on any server. Therefore, it would likely be very advantageous for Strimtom.

I understand that my name is by far not as widely known as Strimtom's, and there are other players who are even less known than Chacka. However, the idea is to give every player the opportunity to reserve the name they want to be recognized by. Notice I strongly believe in equal rights for everyone!

Furthermore, there are likely many names that active players would like to use but are currently held by players who no longer play DDO.

Please don't misunderstand me; I'm not claiming that my idea is perfect and will satisfy everyone. However, I believe it is something that would benefit the majority of players who care for their main-character's names.

The issue here is this, the names you are referring to, Chacka, Strimtom, etc. Are already established names from over the years and players around DDO associate those names with said accounts/players, so it sounds like a great idea to be able to reserve them for THOSE players.

But the issue remains: What happens when two or more "new" players come up with the same name (but on different servers), and registered around the same time. What happens then?

One created their account first, the other created the character name first. Which side should SSG side with and grant the name to?

The one who used the name reservation payment first? Or he one who created the character first? Or the one who created their account first?

How would SSG know which is the next Mr Beast? And the other as the one who'll stop playing 6 months later permanently?

The simple matter of fact here, is that it becomes "unfair" for the other player who legitimately created their character and name "first" just because you (on the other server) started to wave some money around and felt that "you made it first" and thus have rights to it. This is why SSG have left it at "First come, First served" approach on the game servers and to avoid such issues by leaving it as is.

J1NG

paddymaxson

I'd like to be Arkat on all the DDO servers.

I'd probably pay something for that privilege.
Just create a placeholder character on them all? If someone's taken it it's kind of tough luck, wouldn't want people to be able to pay to steal someone else's character name.

seph1roth5

It's not a crazy name like Chacka392u456923452 or anything, it's possible someone just made it up too. Hell maybe it's their real name lol. I don't think trying to reserve/buy names is a good idea ever though. The whole ssg idea of not allowing name sniping is ridiculous too, and ridiculous because they should've had a better system in place to just transfer people to the new forums.

What I'd like to see is a purging of inactive names after a few years. Yeah people take breaks, but plenty of names are just taken by people that are long gone and probably never coming back. Maybe some are good, who knows.

Dude

Chacka isn't that rare of a name. Any fan of Land of the Lost might have come up with it.

The Narc

Exactly and the name existed prior to ddo and many other people may appreciate the name and would like to use it. You may have subconciously come up with it from some other source as other players may have to. For example;

Chacka when the walls fell!!

Also i dont think any player such as strimtom or a lord mary deserve any special entitlement to anything regarding nameholders.

As jing has said ddo has always been a first come first serve basis, this was the first season of hardcore i have been able to get a toon on right away with the name narcissist, finally got the name i wanted, made me happy. But if i hadnt, no skin off my back i would just pock a different name.

Arkat

Founder & Super Hero
Just create a placeholder character on them all? If someone's taken it it's kind of tough luck, wouldn't want people to be able to pay to steal someone else's character name.
I was able to do that on some of the servers. On the other servers, the name had been taken.

droid327

I could only see this as a privilege extended to recognized content creators - the ones who get special early access to new content, etc. - because they actually have a brand that's valuable to the game

There's no way they can implement a "pay2squat" feature for everyone, though, because there's no way they can really adjudicate who "owns" a name when its not clearly connected to some external content creator. And, honestly, I dont think merely being a long-time poster on the forums is enough to qualify you for name protection.

calouscaine

Grouchy Vet
I think they should just expand on the name parameters, i.e. allowing spaces or under scores and a middle name with the first name. It's painfully obvious that - and numbers can be in a name, since -1 appears if you transfer and someone already has that base spelling, so the real question is why it's not something you can use on your own when doing names. The system they're using currently for names seems. . .outdated to me and could use a little oomph so to speak. Basically just open more naming options.

Chacka

Actually, I believe that was for the forums only, and thereby for players with history on the (previous) forum already where it is easier to see where a player has obtained some level of influence or authenticity/authority and not only they want a name back for use if it was sniped (taken) by another and effectively utilised in a manner to sully the name, but also to help provide continuity if users have begun following particular users or recognise particular users when they start posting in threads.

The issue here is this, the names you are referring to, Chacka, Strimtom, etc. Are already established names from over the years and players around DDO associate those names with said accounts/players, so it sounds like a great idea to be able to reserve them for THOSE players.

But the issue remains: What happens when two or more "new" players come up with the same name (but on different servers), and registered around the same time. What happens then?

One created their account first, the other created the character name first. Which side should SSG side with and grant the name to?

The one who used the name reservation payment first? Or he one who created the character first? Or the one who created their account first?

How would SSG know which is the next Mr Beast? And the other as the one who'll stop playing 6 months later permanently?

The simple matter of fact here, is that it becomes "unfair" for the other player who legitimately created their character and name "first" just because you (on the other server) started to wave some money around and felt that "you made it first" and thus have rights to it. This is why SSG have left it at "First come, First served" approach on the game servers and to avoid such issues by leaving it as is.

J1NG
It doesn't make much sense to me what you're saying. The main point you're making is that if someone chooses a name like "Stromtom" before "Strimtom," then "Strimtom" would be out of luck, which you believe is the only conceivable outcome.

However, I disagree with this assertion. SSG already has measures in place to prevent name sniping in forums, and it's likely they would not tolerate such behavior if there were a name reservation system for the entire Dungeons & Dragons Online (DDO) game.

My primary argument is that there are far more possible letter combinations to generate names than DDO players would ever use. In my opinion, every player should have the opportunity to choose a unique name for DDO (I don't play LotRO, but I can imagine a similar name reservation system being feasible for both SSG games at a single price).

Implementing such a system may be easier for a new game, but I still believe it would be worthwhile for a game like DDO. It would also provide players with the option to take names from characters that are unlikely to be played again.

The technical implementation of this system is another matter. For example, one possible approach could be for the system to check if the desired name already exists on any server and require the player to have used that name on at least one server. Existing names could only be reserved for the entire DDO if the characters with those names have not been played for more than two years.

Once again, I understand that it's unlikely to please every single person, but the goal is to make something happen that benefits the majority. While not every ast DDO player may be satisfied with this system, I believe it would be an improvement for the majority, and only that's why I'm suggesting it.