New progression systems needed

Varthalos

Let me just start by saying that I've been playing DDO for about 14 years now and in general I've enjoyed my time here quite a bit. I would like to thank the devs for keeping the ship afloat for all these years, it can't have been easy.

There are a few key additions to the game that kept my interest over the years. In my opinion without the addition of the TR system and the later addition of racial TRs and the reaper system I'm sure I would have quit the game a decade ago and never looked back. The TR and reaper systems were a genius addition and have extended the games life by orders of magnitude for me.

The problem is that these systems are getting old for an increasing number of people. Many players I know have all or almost all of the past lives or at least all the lives they feel are worth getting. Many are also capped out on effective reaper points or close enough that they don't feel that any more will progress their characters. We need a new system like these, one that will give us something to grind for and a way to feel character progression.

An argument against adding more paths to character power might be that we don't want to increase the gap between new players and veteran players. This is a valid point but tradeoffs need to be made. It's my feeling that the veteran players are the ones that have been keeping the lights on and we need to keep giving them things to do. If we were expecting some large new influx of players things would be differing but baring some miracle I don't see DDO drastically increasing its player base any time soon (see ddoaudit for supporting data).

I think that there are several possibilities for additions to the game that could accomplish this. See my post on “More PL ideas” for a few unoriginal ideas.

I know that implementing something like this could take development hours. I'm not sure if it works this way but maybe we could take the devs working on new quests and move them to new systems. I feel like I could go a few years with no new quests in game and I'd be more than fine with that. Anyway, that's just my opinion on the quests v.s. Systems if that's a possible tradeoff.

Upvote 0

mikarddo

Play a 2nd, 3rd or 4th char .

Work on getting perfect gear with max mythic, best reaper bonus and optimal curses.

Stop asking for more low hanging fruits before you have picked the ones that take a bigger effort to reach.

Smokewolf

Sorry, but I'm not going to run an alt for anything but banking. IMHO, there's not enough play time in the day for a player-base that's already badly fragmented across multiple character levels and time zones.

Question for those that do run alts... Have you ever considered having a real life?

As for the OP's suggestion... there has to be a clear benefit for players to advance and developers to monetize. All other considerations aside, if those two goals are not met, It will never happen. A good example of this not working are the cursed cards. Sure the Dev's have a means to monetize it, but the player base hasn't really embraced it as there's really no point. When most of the curses are both random and somewhat useless.

Last edited:

Xgya

Question for those that do run alts... Have you ever considered having a real life?
Reminder that you could ask the same question of anyone that's asking for more progression to be available.

There's already progression available, and most people won't even entertain the idea of trying it because of time constraints. Adding more progression won't change that.

Dandonk

This is not the title you're looking for
I'm working on my second character, getting closer to having all PLs on that, too. Missing 3 EPLs, and 23 class PLs, but have all racial and iconic. Nasty grind, really.

I'd rather have some account progression, or more support from alts somehow. But that's just me.

Epicsoul

While power progression systems have their allure, why not indulge in the true purpose of gaming—cosmetics! More power? No thanks. Irresistibly stylish? Hell yeah. Give me different colored Reaper Wings, hard to obtain armor cosmetics to make people jealous, player titles to earn, and different symbols by one's name.

Our characters in DDO aren't meant to be powerhouses but fashion icons.

mikarddo

While power progression systems have their allure, why not indulge in the true purpose of gaming—cosmetics! More power? No thanks. Irresistibly stylish? Hell yeah. Give me different colored Reaper Wings, hard to obtain armor cosmetics to make people jealous, player titles to earn, and different symbols by one's name.

Our characters in DDO aren't meant to be powerhouses but fashion icons.
Different people different taste, which is good. I never liked cosmetics in any game including DDO. It simply does not interest me at all, but I am happy it matters to others.

mikarddo

Sorry, but I'm not going to run an alt for anything but banking. IMHO, there's not enough play time in the day for a player-base that's already badly fragmented across multiple character levels and time zones.

Wife, kids, job, fitness, chairman of the schoolboard for 11 years. I like to think I have some real life too.

Even so I could not imagine not having atleast one serious alt in DDO so I always have one strong char at cap for raids etc while I TR another. I would feel very left out if I could not join guild raids because my only char was level 22.