Nightrevel Clicky Candies

Mordenkainen

Please SSG, no more nerfs. Thank you!
Guys read between the lines. Steelstar is giving us a clue.

Steel is probably hands-tied just as we are in terms of direction in development. He's a slave to the numbers , our numbers, player engagement with event, hours spent playing event, number of groups etc.

Developers don't have this carte blanche to do anything they like, they have to backup their decisions with hard numbers they generate from player behavior.

Like he said, if you really want to protest, then don't play it. Simple as that.

Last edited:

Ryofu Housen

NGITSUM
I think people are focusing too much on the 'outstanding' part, because even if they were simply 'alright', they'd still be worth having. An extra 2% dps is just 'alright', but I don't really think event consumables should be contributing to dps at all, they should be QoL things or fun bonus effects. But it's good to see that the idea of the candies simply being better potions is something some people would like.

On another note it is truly astounding seeing so many people whine and ***** about something like candy and claim it as their reason for not giving money. I'm going to pray that it's just one in a long line of minor annoyances like any mmo and these people are just using it as another point to grieve over, and that they aren't actually so bent out of shape over consumable holiday buffs that they think the people who make this game have made nothing worth paying for. Doubly odd considering this isn't even really a paid event.
Frankly seeing how people reacted, I expected way more snark from the dev message, when it's hardly anything at all. I know they didn't supplicate themselves before you and swear to make it better instantly, far from it, but my goodness. They all but said they'd change them for next year and you're still throwing fits.
To be fair, I'm not giving them any more money because last I checked, their outsourced payment processing company appears to have no idea about how credit card expirations and renewals work.

Jack Jarvis Esquire

This response has given zero specifics about what does make the game fun which supports the idea that players are not even talking about what makes the game fun. It is fantastic that SSG has made the game fun for you.

Telling others to go away is probably not the best choice. I have seen those that do this come to the forums to ask for changes when something they don't like happens. We can all tell each other to go away or we can talk about what makes the game fun for each of us in the hopes that someone is listening.

It's usually a combination of many things that drives a player away. There is no need to minimize the things other people are saying they do not like. They made the judgement that is was worth posting.
A generally fair response. You don't speak for me or anyone else, and I don't speak for you or anyone else. Which is really the point here.

To be clear though I'm not telling anyone what to do (though I can certainly accept my clumsy wording there could be interpreted as such!). Just pointing out a fairly obvious maxim that if something genuinely isn't fun, why continue to do it?

By logical extension those who continue to play the game must surely find it fun despite a number of issues they may face. I'd think that fairly obvious.

And yes I could go into specifics as to why I personally find the game fun, indeed at some length, but again that would simply be a pretty irrelevant subjective list to others who may not share my own perspective, which is absolutely fine, but really of very little consequence to anyone but me.

As to trivialising folks complaints, I don't think that's fair. If you think the poor implementation of a few more MP PRR etc., is worth castigating the whole design process then knock yourself out. YMMV. I just think it's a bit of a reach and OTT in terms of the actual game effect.

You may have other genuine grievances that make the game not fun for you, and it's absolutely your right to express those. But it just feels here like you're looking for any stick to beat the Devs with, no matter how small. And this to me seems a bit of a twiglet.

Anyway. You don't speak for me, or anyone else, and vice versa. On that we agree. 👍

Last edited:

DDO Gaming

Designing for what the majority of players ask for would almost certainly fail. MOAR power MOAR rewards --> there is quickly nothing left to accomplish.
We play online gaming because risk/reward etc Thus there needs to be MOTIVATION. For example there might be gamers interested in 20sec duration potions, if so good luck to them.

However my argument was that instead of wasting time re-engineering stuff that works SSG should be estalishing a gameplan and engineering the game accordingly. If they're out of ideas just loadup a popular rival and look for stuff that can be ported across that is likely to be a hit

DDO Gaming

If you do not feel the candies are your flavor of choice this year, I would strongly advise not spending time farming for them nor spending the candies you have on them! It sounds like many of you would prefer to do something else with that time and those ingredients this time around, and the very best thing you can do in that situation is follow that gut instinct. Flavors may be different next time around. ;)
That's great but equally...it costs SSG money to run these additional seasonal quests and since you already know there's been a huge amount of -ve response...why didn;t you project forward whilst re-engineeering and think "maybe these changes will generate a huge amount of -ve response".

Its not like realworld candy with an immediate endof date that you really need to clear off your retail shelves to bring in new stock

Onyxia2016

If you do not feel the candies are your flavor of choice this year, I would strongly advise not spending time farming for them nor spending the candies you have on them! It sounds like many of you would prefer to do something else with that time and those ingredients this time around, and the very best thing you can do in that situation is follow that gut instinct. Flavors may be different next time around. ;)

I usually look to your posts for helpful guidance and understanding but this one seems more like an attack on the player base for voicing opinions on what is clearly a very bad decision this season. I do not know who in the organization came up with this in the planning meeting but the way you are defending the decision lead one to think it was your idea or at least one you strongly supported.

It is not only a matter of , if you dont like it dont buy them, it is also what we loose out on due to these candys taking the place of something good.

They will take an extra 4 spots in your bank or your backpacks. Not sure there is a practical use otherwise.

@Contessor I am not sure I understand your reply. The mount reference for newer players would not take and inventory space and the Gloomy Restoration pots would only take one space unless you run with multiple stacks. These pots are good to have as they ack as a Restoration spell vs the Lesser Restoration pot you get from vendors. It you are not a class that can cast the Restoration spell these Gloomy Restoration pot can handle the removal of negative levels among other affliction that the Lesser Restoration cannot. This is one reason I look forward to Night Revels, to restock my supply.

Contessor

I usually look to your posts for helpful guidance and understanding but this one seems more like an attack on the player base for voicing opinions on what is clearly a very bad decision this season. I do not know who in the organization came up with this in the planning meeting but the way you are defending the decision lead one to think it was your idea or at least one you strongly supported.

It is not only a matter of , if you dont like it dont buy them, it is also what we loose out on due to these candys taking the place of something good.

@Contessor I am not sure I understand your reply. The mount reference for newer players would not take and inventory space and the Gloomy Restoration pots would only take one space unless you run with multiple stacks. These pots are good to have as they ack as a Restoration spell vs the Lesser Restoration pot you get from vendors. It you are not a class that can cast the Restoration spell these Gloomy Restoration pot can handle the removal of negative levels among other affliction that the Lesser Restoration cannot. This is one reason I look forward to Night Revels, to restock my supply.
This thread is about candies. Yes candies are useless and if you craft all 4 you are taking 4 extra inventory spaces for a net loss in DPS, if you use them. I wasnt disputing the mount, just reinforcing this event is kind of useless for most.

Ethnyae

That seems to be a repeating pattern. Wasting time re-engineering because they can rather than focusing on a gameplan

This is really the key.

There are so many things that could be better, could be fixed, could be improved. New content. New enhancement trees. New viable playstyles. Alternate forms of non-reaper advancement. Piles and piles of stuff. The infinite realm of possibilities.

But effort gets expended to do things like this. Or the weapon "smoothing" which almost nobody cares about.

ROI. Someone needs to think about how the money spent developing this game contributes to ROI through player engagement.

gravisrs

From DDO EU servers
There are so many short-term buffs in this game that once you cast all of them - half of them already expired...

Please scale the numbers 10x, make it ~3 mins / 20 min cooldown

Nokowi

We play online gaming because risk/reward etc Thus there needs to be MOTIVATION. For example there might be gamers interested in 20sec duration potions, if so good luck to them.

However my argument was that instead of wasting time re-engineering stuff that works SSG should be estalishing a gameplan and engineering the game accordingly. If they're out of ideas just loadup a popular rival and look for stuff that can be ported across that is likely to be a hit

Definitely!

They of course need rewards that improve player power. But they can't add power faster than they can add content or difficulty. That means they need to give players things to do that are not pure power accumulators. If I were to ask what ELSE could they do to make the game fun to play besides adding +1's to items, would I get people contributing or shooting down the idea?

SSG needs to be good enough at design that they can both design things that are fun to play while including the things that give players things to achieve. Players are going to shout about rewards but what ultimately keeps people here is having something to accomplish, whether the gameplay itself is interesting, and if player to player interactions are rewarding.

I offered a cookie combiner with unknown and changing recipes each season that
- gives something to do
- turns 20 sec cookies into something potentially more useful
- adds variety while minimizing power creep
- could be their prototype for upgrading the stone of change to accept more things

The design effort could be justified in the (cookie+objects) transmuter if they were to make a new coding object called "weapon" that could handle all of the attributes of older weapons. They could focus on getting a limited type of weapon (or armor, or etc) to upgrade to a more universal format each season. With recipes initially unknown, the rate of conversion of items would be slow at first, giving them a chance to address issues as they arise.

I could go further and recommend a different hidden clue somewhere in the game each season, but it is kind of pointless since this will not be adopted. What is important is that they understand this type of design and know how to make and maintain good design goals.

Last edited:
This is an incredibly tone deaf reply. It's also borderline snarky and not professional. You offer zero suggestions on how to fix the situation or how to make it better this year.

Yes, it is an optional event, but it's supposed to be fun and the items are supposed to be interesting and while not great, at least good.

Its not that many of us prefer something else. It's that everyone commenting below is telling you these items are not usable. Why not focus on trying to improve them now, instead of punting them to the next year? Why not reply with "I hear what all of you have to say and we understand where we made a mistake in this item's design, we will look to correct them for next year or for this event."

Also, many feel that super short term clickie/buffs make the game more annoying. Remember when you guys went through and killed most of the good medium duration clickies because you commented that people playing the game don't like clickies? Well they do. They don't like 20 second clickies that take 2 seconds to use.

Can you or Severlin please reply to my post?

Guys read between the lines. Steelstar is giving us a clue.

Steel is probably hands-tied just as we are in terms of direction in development. He's a slave to the numbers , our numbers, player engagement with event, hours spent playing event, number of groups etc.

Developers don't have this carte blanche to do anything they like, they have to backup their decisions with hard numbers they generate from player behavior.

Like he said, if you really want to protest, then don't play it. Simple as that.
I think you misread the comment. SSG went out of their way, ie spent development time to change these items. If you feel this came from somewhere else, where did this direction come from? Let Steelstar say, this came from so and so, and then have so and so opine on why.

There are 6 pages of comments saying these items are a terrible choice.