Orient has a packet loss issue

Lori

Every day for over a week, and longer, every time I log into Orien I'm getting constantly between 2 and 15% packet loss, resulting in rubberbanding or better put some actions not registering and the anti-cheat code of ddo resetting my character 5-10 seconds back.

Before the servers went away over easter the packet loss was very high 10-15%, now it's 2-7%.

I can only speculate what the issue might be, probably too little allocated resources.

EU, Telefonica ISP
If you can post the Orien IPv4 I can do a mtr and post it.

Reactions: DBZ

Buddha5440

Packet loss is often caused by the path they take from sender to receiver. If it was due to an issue on Orien's side, you would likely see a lot more people talking about it.

Try a DNS flush and see if that helps. Command Prompt (as Admin) "ipconfig /flushdns" without "'s

LurkingVeteran

You can do a few trace routes (google, have to run it on your computer though) to track down where the big delays or packet losses ("*") are appearing. If it's in the first few hops then it's your home/ISP, if it's in the last few hops it's on SSG. If it's somewhere in the middle there is not that much you can do about it but you could try a gaming VPN service. These are rather overhyped but the packets will take another route so you might get lucky.

Kimbere

The WinMTR utility can sometimes be helpful in pinpointing where a packet loss problem lies on a given connection path.
It traces the network route to a given host/IP then starts continuously pinging each hop. It tracks the ping stats for each hop in realtime.

Let it run for a bit and you might see a router somewhere in the middle of the path that is the one where the packet loss starts. If you do see a non- endpoint router on the path generating a noticeable amount of packet loss, open a ticket with your ISP and give them that information. In turn, they should reach out to the ISP in charge of the problematic router.

Keep in mind that ICMP (ping) and traceroute traffic is typically given the lowest priority so a very small bit of packet loss (1-3%) is not unusual. If there are real problems on a given hop, you'll generally see >15% packet loss on it.

Also, routers and firewalls can also be configured to just ignore that type of network traffic so it's fairly common to see some of the intermediate hops in a given path that simply do not respond at all.

Here's a sample of the utility in action:
70G1X6l.png

Last edited:

Dandonk

This is not the title you're looking for
I get 0.2 to 2%, in the same time frame. Used to get 0.1% max, 0.0 for the most part.

EDIT: At the same time, I have 0.0% loss in discord.

Last edited:

Lori

Packet loss is often caused by the path they take from sender to receiver. If it was due to an issue on Orien's side, you would likely see a lot more people talking about it.

Try a DNS flush and see if that helps. Command Prompt (as Admin) "ipconfig /flushdns" without "'s
When I ask people, the file it under lag.
DNS has absolutely nothing to do with packet loss.

So something weird is happening.

When I get packet loss, I start streaming on Twitch.
1 minute later at most, the packet loss is down to 0.0-0.1%, pretty much gone.
About 1 minute after I stop streaming, it's back.

This could mean several things.
- The client knows and detects OBS streaming, thus giving you a better connection (tin foil hat stuff, but is it?)
- Something with my router (Fritz Box 7590)
- Something with my ISP (I recently vetoed a price increase, they might've put me on a worse gateway or something)

In the past, when connections from the EU had issues, I would run NordVPN and connect to New York and get a better quality connection.
But with this issue it's not helping.

The only thing that is apparently helping is starting OBS and streaming.
I'm on 100/40 VDSL.

I've been busy, here's the mtr from WSL2 Ubuntu
cQ5M0hY.png

^this said, my router is to blame.

Restarted my router.

prCN9th.png

Regardless. It's even worse.

xM0OpBx.png

Last edited: