Playing within the rules or cheating?

Praun

Since you can be two levels above the base level of a quest and still get full XP, I've been using this method to level up faster and easier.

I was telling a friend that if we need to go back and hit some we missed, we can just go in on R-1 and still get full XP as long as we weren't four levels above the base.

He said that sounded like cheating.
I said I was playing within the rules of the game, so it couldn't be cheating.

What say you guys?

rabidfox

The People's Champion
Cheating? <sigh> That's literally how the game works not cheating. Reaper lockout in heroics is base+4 (it's base+6 in epics). Bravery bonus 100% is base + 2 (it'll drop to 50% if you're beyond that); so you're not getting full XP, you're getting reduced bravery bonus going in at higher levels.

Nebless

Since you can be two levels above the base level of a quest and still get full XP

You don't though. If you open up the XP results box at the end you'll see you've taken a 20% hit for being 2 levels over.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
You don't though. If you open up the XP results box at the end you'll see you've taken a 20% hit for being 2 levels over.
You don't take an XP penality for being 2 above base; it the sweat spot for XP right now.

Nebless

You don't take an XP penality for being 2 above base; it the sweat spot for XP right now.

You're wrong or maybe my character is just special. I just hopped on and double checked. (I'm on Hardcore)

Three Barrel Cove
Guard Duty, Lvl 5, Normal, Base XP: 1266
Highest player level 7, Adventure is level 5 -10% 1140 xp

So it wasn't 20%, but you do take a hit, so no you don't get full xp.

Krelar

You're wrong or maybe my character is just special. I just hopped on and double checked. (I'm on Hardcore)

Three Barrel Cove
Guard Duty, Lvl 5, Normal, Base XP: 1266
Highest player level 7, Adventure is level 5 -10% 1140 xp

So it wasn't 20%, but you do take a hit, so no you don't get full xp.
You can be two levels above the base without penalty as long as you run elite/reaper

I’ve been under the impression that normal difficulty has to be run at level for full xp. Hard can be run at 1 level higher, and elite/reaper at 2 levels above for full xp and bravery bonus.

That said, I thought I was getting daily silver rolls from VIP and not for becoming premium.

Btw, crow does NOT taste like chicken.

Kryxal

Standard quest XP has no penalty to 1 level above difficulty-adjusted quest level. Bravery Bonus of 50% for running elite/reaper is cut in half for being 3 above base quest level, which is 1 above adjusted, I believe. Basically, running elite/reaper at no more than 2 over base is full XP, and penalties are fairly minor at 3-4 over base for first time runs (-25% and -35%, when you're also receiving probably +50% at least).

Tyrande

Since you can be two levels above the base level of a quest and still get full XP, I've been using this method to level up faster and easier.

I was telling a friend that if we need to go back and hit some we missed, we can just go in on R-1 and still get full XP as long as we weren't four levels above the base.

He said that sounded like cheating.
I said I was playing within the rules of the game, so it couldn't be cheating.

What say you guys?

That's not cheating. Its within the rules of the game. Some groups that level and xp farm together always do that... run all quests on R1 and be two levels higher. If someone in the group gained too much XP, they'll stop levelling and save the XP for an additional level until everyone else catches up.

Thorodd

I’ve been under the impression that normal difficulty has to be run at level for full xp. Hard can be run at 1 level higher, and elite/reaper at 2 levels above for full xp and bravery bonus.

That said, I thought I was getting daily silver rolls from VIP and not for becoming premium.

Anything else taste like crow? Asking for a friend with lots of crows in his yard!

paddymaxson

Of course it's not cheating, but if you're doing it and annoyed that it's too easy, bump it to R4 and see how much you feel like you're cheating.

Rull

you can be quest level +1 and still get full XP on normal

(quest level +2 gives full XP on hard, as well as elite and reaper)

see https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...pi7PP27PeoUHhm13Hjk-2QeDA/edit#gid=1720508621 for details.

popejubal

What you described is definitely cheating if you and the person you’re playing with are both naked and you’re married to other people.

That’s why I always leave by socks on when I strip down to play DDO. It’s not cheating if you aren’t naked.