Pros & Cons of Kobolds & or Goblins as PC options

Orcrates

I know that there are arguments that some among the player base would make for & against the inclusion of these 2 small races. I won't hide my bias, I am for the inclusion of these options & I see it as an asset to DDO, It'll extend the replay value for multiple reasons, not the least of which is that those who like these races & want to play as them would have yet another way to enjoy & experience the game. I am interested in what thoughts other players have to share on this, for & against.

Good hunting, all

Toede

I dunno. Gobbos are smelly and Kobolds like to bite ankles. :)

If the developers are willing to put in the work to add additional races to the game, I don't see why not. Do they sell well overall? I know they made a bunch of races free at some point. If they don't make them money, then it's probably not worth it.

saekee

long live ROGUE
I would like to see Kobolds as some weird favor unlock or something. Not sure of details of how. I think they should be heavily penalized too—halfling carrying capacity, low STR and CON, bonus to CHA skills when dealing with dragons ofc., maybe evasion high in the racial tree? Lightning bolt SLA, throw flaming flask native skill, boosts to sneaking, flanking and jumping—easy to envisage.

Orcrates

I dunno. Gobbos are smelly and Kobolds like to bite ankles. :)

If the developers are willing to put in the work to add additional races to the game, I don't see why not. Do they sell well overall? I know they made a bunch of races free at some point. If they don't make them money, then it's probably not worth it.
One perspective would be that Kobolds have been in the game since basically word 1, if I'm not mistaken? so many races have leapfrogged Kobolds on the way to being PCs. A conversation could be had about if they should be a weaker PC race or not but at least if they were in the active conversation to be brought in, at all, than that is a conversation that could be had. Admittedly I would prefer Goblins personally, but they only recently got introduced as "monster races", so I can't make as strong of a case that Goblins or Goblin fans should expect them included before Kobolds.

Orcrates

I would like to see Kobolds as some weird favor unlock or something. Not sure of details of how. I think they should be heavily penalized too—halfling carrying capacity, low STR and CON, bonus to CHA skills when dealing with dragons ofc., maybe evasion high in the racial tree? Lightning bolt SLA, throw flaming flask native skill, boosts to sneaking, flanking and jumping—easy to envisage.
I like some of those ideas, the unlock feature would be pretty cool, even on its own!

Chuck_Roast

Pro for SSG: if this happens, you will automatically sell 6 Otto's boxes to me, as I will want whatever the PL benefit is and my Racial Completionist feat back ASAP. I won't yuck anyone's yum, but both of these as player races are something I personally have absolutely zero interest in. I wouldn't be able to RTR out of either of these fast enough.

Doesn't mean I would try to prevent other players from having their fun, if it's what they like.

Orcrates

Pro for SSG: if this happens, you will automatically sell 6 Otto's boxes to me, as I will want whatever the PL benefit is and my Racial Completionist feat back ASAP. I won't yuck anyone's yum, but both of these as player races are something I personally have absolutely zero interest in. I wouldn't be able to RTR out of either of these fast enough.

Doesn't mean I would try to prevent other players from having their fun, if it's what they like.
I can 100% respect that stance. When Alchemist was brought in as a class, I did the bare minimum to get it for completionist & never went back, but to those who love it? more power to them, I'd just appreciate the same options & consideration re. Kobolds & Goblins, for example.

Chuck_Roast

I can 100% respect that stance. When Alchemist was brought in as a class, I did the bare minimum to get it for completionist & never went back, but to those who love it? more power to them, I'd just appreciate the same options & consideration re. Kobolds & Goblins, for example.
Exactly. Like Skinlock - don't care for it, got my PLs, will never bother with it again. So, I'm all for options - even if those options aren't for me. As long as it doesn't take away resources from fixing lag lol.

Build variety is the spice of DDO life, or something like that.

mikarddo

I play races for the power not their looks or story - but if others would like to play these races despite being weaker I would not opposed nor would I mind running them for racial completionist on my 2 main characters.

I would rather have more raids, more epic destinies, a sorc iconic and/or a sorc archtype though.

Mickeymouse

Exactly. Like Skinlock - don't care for it, got my PLs, will never bother with it again. So, I'm all for options - even if those options aren't for me. As long as it doesn't take away resources from fixing lag lol.

Build variety is the spice of DDO life, or something like that.
Skinlocks are highly optional. you don´t have to run any arch-class for pl´s (except maybe DL for melee classes)

Savage

Phoenicis' Wife
I really love my kobold companion and would love a kobold pet or hireling, but sure would not like walking around lookin like a kobold or goblin.

Chuck_Roast

Skinlocks are highly optional. you don´t have to run any arch-class for pl´s (except maybe DL for melee classes)
You do still get a class PL bonus for running the archetypes that stacks 3 times. You are correct that it also counts towards the main class (e.g., Warlock and Skinlock, or Cleric and DA, etc.), so it is for some people optional.

Warlock:
Gives +3 MRR, this feat can be stacked up to three times.

Past Life: Warlock is a Free Feat, which means it is permanently added to the character that unlocks it and you won't need to choose it, neither at new life nor at level up.

Skinlock:
You were an Acolyte of the Skin in a past life. You occasionally find yourself throwing your hands into the air. Each time you acquire this feat you gain +1 MRR and +5 Fire Spell Power. This feat can be stacked up to three times.

Note: This class counts as a Warlock for the purposes of Completionist.

Past Life: Acolyte of the Skin is a Free Feat, which means it is permanently added to the character that unlocks it and you won't need to choose it, neither at new life nor at level up.

If I wanted to get both of these PL benefits stacked three times each, I actually did need to run both the standard Warlock and Skinlock.

Mickeymouse

Most people don´t need to run any of these archtypes. my ranged character, racial and heroic completionist, don´t need to run any of them as it would benefit a ranged class nothing. zip nada. nothing.

my melee and caster alt, racial and heroic completionist, don´t need to run anything either except DL lifes. 15 fire power isn´t great on most caster types.

hence I would consider it highly optional wouldn´t you?

e.g. I think its borderline OCD, when I see some people running 3x blightcasters on their tank/melee characters.

Ying

5000+ hours played
Goblins? This ain't WoW.

Kobolds would be funny in a meme kind of way, and have been requested for years.