"Prove your Worth" Quest in 3 Barrel Cove

JustMe74

Ok - how do you do the ladder puzzle? It's maddening... I can't get to the second ladder. If I jump off the first one, I just fall straight down (ouch)...

Rauven

Child of Dhurinda
Use featherfall and use mouselook to help you turn faster. It is just a matter of trial and error.

Lacci

If you have a feather fall item equipped, you should have just enough time to steer after you jump off the top of one ladder to "fly" to reach the other one.

TeamScorpioRI

I don't have a featherfall item... how can I get one?
You can farm for a level 1 feather falling item from the Keep on the Boarderlands slayer area (rare chests). The auction house is also a good place to look. Most people will post featherfall boots for relatively inexpensive.

Rauven

Child of Dhurinda
If you have Keep on the Borderlands you can get the Mantle of Gentle Descent from explorer rares. There is also the Feather Cloak that can be acquired from Redemption on Korthos, but that is a single use clicky so you may need a few to reach the top. Otherwise, try checking the brokers in the Marketplace.

DYWYPI

The first time I attempted the quest: https://ddowiki.com/page/Prove_Your_Worth and the ladder: Agility Trial. I probably fell off the higher ladders several dozen times. It possibly took me over 20 minutes to climb all the ladders successfully the first time I ran the quest.

Now I can climb them almost seamlessly; so maybe less than a minute or however long to reach to the top ladder, jump off, and pull the lever... If I fall from the ladders, which is extremely rare, it's likely due to server lag.

The Epic version of 'Prove Your Worth' doesn't have ladders for that part of the quest: https://ddowiki.com/page/Prove_Your_Worth_(epic) ;-)

You certainly don't need: 40 Jump skill, my Assassins are DEX based (STR is dumped) and most likely have a 'Jump Skill' of less than 20 even with jump boosting items, when at the relevant Heroic level, etc. I do strongly recommend using Feather Fall for the "ladder hopping" if you are weak at jumping.

Tips: What works for me when I reach the top rungs of a ladder: Hold down right hand mouse button. Make sure the ladder you want to jump to focused and targeted. Briefly Tap Spacebar, keep Forward arrow down and aimed at centre of target ladder. (Always keep Right hand mouse button down during jump). You'll automatically grab hold of the ladder rungs when you land assuming you have it targeted correctly, etc.

Now that you know how high the hook and ladder goes, from the highest rung down to the lowest low.

You can Cannith Craft Feather Fall items at Crafting Level 1 if you have the collectables, or perhaps use several Scrolls of Feather Fall https://ddowiki.com/page/Feather_Fall or try to find an item with Feather Fall in the Auction House. Jump Potions maybe also help a little if your Jump skill is very low.

Basically I ideally want; Feather Fall (near mandatory to make it easier), a speed boost and a jump boost if I'm doing those ladders on a gimped build rather than my usual characters.

Last edited:

Ozz

Reading between the lines here I have a feeling that you are trying to jump over the break in the ladder. This is NOT possible as far as I am aware. What you need to do is climb the ladder as far up as you possibly can and then look round you for the next ladder to use (It will be the longest). Now looking at this ladder you should have your little targeting sight set on it and then press jump and run forward at the same time and you should then be on the next ladder. Rinse and repeat untill you get to the top. Many years ago when I started playing I was using a laptop without a mouse and that climb back then was extremly hard

WargamerIV

There are other options for feather fall, a scroll or spell although it may end before you get to the top. Also you can use Cannith crafting to make a level 1 feather fall item (ring works well). If you find the collectables (or buy them in the AH) you will have a 100% chance of making the item without any prior crafting experience (assuming you have a good guild to follow). Here are some links.

Cordovan

Community Manager
Tips: What works for me when I reach the top rungs of a ladder: Hold down right hand mouse button. Make sure the ladder you want to jump to focused and targeted. Briefly Tap Spacebar, keep Forward arrow down and aimed at centre of target ladder. (Always keep Right hand mouse button down during jump). You'll automatically grab hold of the ladder rungs when you land assuming you have it targeted correctly, etc.
This is the best advice I have as well, and is what I do. Basically move your camera around to face the ladder you will be jumping to, then hit space and move forward. Feather Fall definitely makes it easier, but is not technically required. I've done it both with and without.

droid327

First, yes, get a featherfall item. Its not absolutely required but it will give you way more wiggle room.

The way I do it is to climb near the top of a ladder, then stop. Turn around, and point your reticle towards the next ladder you need to grab. Hit your "back" key, which should make you climb upwards and off the top end of the ladder you're currently on. There'll be a little animation pause where you try to stand up in midair (lol), hold "forward" then, and when you release you'll float straight to the next one and latch on.

The only tricky part is when you have to go diagonal instead of straight across, since sometimes you dont latch on properly at an angle.

The Narc

And if you do fall with feather fall dont panic just stay calm and line yourself up with the next ladder down to catch yourself

This is the best advice I have as well, and is what I do. Basically move your camera around to face the ladder you will be jumping to, then hit space and move forward. Feather Fall definitely makes it easier, but is not technically required. I've done it both with and without.
To make it a little easier still, ignore the right mouse button and briefly switch to mouse toggle mode by pressing (default) T key

C-Dog

I don't have a featherfall item... how can I get one?
In today's game, you "need" a FF item, preferably as a permanent piece of gear. Swapping is possible, but opens the door for mistakes that can end a quest.

Besides the above suggestions, they are common on the AH (and usually not terribly overpriced). Pick and choose to find one that has a 2nd enchantment that is useful.

You can also Cannith Craft one very easily, as FF is a "Crafting Level 1" enchantment (meaning any alt can make it without any experience or grinding), and ML doesn't matter for FF.

All you need is...
  • 1 (trashloot) ring, boots, or cloak (or a craftable trinket, which is harder to come by)
  • 1 Dust of Disjunction (a few plat from any Crafting vendor)
  • 20* Essences
  • 15 Strings of Prayer Beads (a (very!) common Ingredient found in Level 1-5 quests)
  • 5 Khyber Prayer Pamphlets (a (not very) uncommon ingredient found in Level 1-5 quests)
* The base cost is 10 essences for a "Minimum Level 1" shard, plus 10 more for the FF (which does not change with ML), for a total of 20. If you want a higher ML (and so appropriately higher values for the (optional) 2nd effect, see next), it will cost more; this has to be determined when the ML shard is applied, it cannot be changed/upgraded later, but you can make a ML 1 (bound**) shard with zero crafting experience and get your FF.

(** Bound to Account, meaning with a Shared Bank you can swap it to any other alt. Making an UNbound ring is possible, but not until Crafting Level ~150 - a much longer process.)

FF is a prefix enchantment, meaning there is still room to add a 2nd enchantment as a suffix to the item. There are limits to what you enchantment you can add; depending on the type of item you chose (ring, cloak, boots, or trinket), common additions can include one of such effects as Jump, Sheltering, Parrying, Dodge, False Life, and many others. Costs for these vary.