Pure fighter S&B Tank build?

Dman1970

I have my first life original human toon I made years ago. I have been back to DDO for a bit now and have him at 31 and got a few pieces of Feywild legendary gear. I am trying to get him to be a solid HP/PRR & MRR/ AC (I know AC kind of loses importance in reapers, but I've seen some videos where some people say it doesn't hurt) bastard sword and board tank. I am not worried about being top DPS, just some DPS so I can run with a healer hireling solo and my wife with her hireling, or stuff with a guild group. I went 42 Stalwart Defender 38 Vanguard, needing help on Destiny trees. He also doesn't have but about 8 or so reaper points in the defense tree so far. I am asking for help, but not to completely rework him into a multiclass as I don't have a + heart to use and don't want to buy one and just want to see what can be done as a pure class. I know a lot of people will say switch to Kensai, but is it possible to make a viable S&B tank, or is it now that DDO is so broken as a game it's all about DPS and tanking isn't really a thing? I really want to be a a can take a hit from a big mob tank and keep it locked on me type. The game has changed so much from when I first played, so I am still trying to learn the new ways to do things. So to end this, my challenge to the great minds of the players that really know this game, can it be done and can you help me? This guy is sort of based on a pen and paper toon of mine when I played as a teen back in the 80s, so trying to keep that feel. Thanks in advance.

It is certainly possible to make a good AC tank in this game. Personally I think they are more optimal if you multiclass. However I have done pure fighter tanks in the past. With the right gear and destiny/enhancement setup I am betting you can hit at least 450 AC. I also find that the people that say AC does not matter in the game are those that never tried to make a high AC build. My tank self buffs to > 700 AC. I have run r10 content at 400, 500, 600 and 700 AC. Right now my feeling is that 400-450 would be about the minimum I would consider as an AC tank in high reaper content. 500 seems a bit better and 600 is quite a step up from 500.

Anyway that is just my opinion. YMMV of course.

PraetorPlato

Most "tanks" will have a miserable time running with a healer hiring solo (you will never get below 90% hp in any content you have a chance of completing in under an hour) You're looking for "heavy melee", which tends to be a niche occupied by barbarians and bears, but pure fighter also works.

Thulsadoom

Whoever told you AC doesnt matter in high reaper was wrong. I always hit 300 fer sure and notice a big difference. If im going heavy into tank I like have 400 at least.

Eleazzar

I saw, " DDO is so broken as a game it's all about DPS and tanking isn't really a thing?" and i had to respond. I dont know of one RAID group that does not value a tank. Yeah peeps are fanatical about DPS but I also know people who level a tank with 0 dps just to tank at Cap. Tanks are my best friends.

Tremes

I run a tank. my hp's at 7k, 440 AC, PRR at 500. I do very little damage but with my Intimidate at 132 I can hold and keep most enemies from hitting my guild mates so that they are able to kill them. As a pure fighter tank, I can boost my hp's to 23k, and PRR to almost 600. I love my tank.

Dman1970

I run a tank. my hp's at 7k, 440 AC, PRR at 500. I do very little damage but with my Intimidate at 132 I can hold and keep most enemies from hitting my guild mates so that they are able to kill them. As a pure fighter tank, I can boost my hp's to 23k, and PRR to almost 600. I love my tank.
How many past lives do you have? I'd love to know. My toon is a pure fighter first-lifer and I just hit 4.8k hp, 329AC, and 387 PRR and still trying to squeeze out a bit more. I think I am doing ok for a first life tank. If you'd be willing to share your build, I'd love to see it and would appreciate it.

Bowserkoopa

King of the Koopa's
It is certainly possible to make a good AC tank in this game. Personally I think they are more optimal if you multiclass. However I have done pure fighter tanks in the past. With the right gear and destiny/enhancement setup I am betting you can hit at least 450 AC. I also find that the people that say AC does not matter in the game are those that never tried to make a high AC build. My tank self buffs to > 700 AC. I have run r10 content at 400, 500, 600 and 700 AC. Right now my feeling is that 400-450 would be about the minimum I would consider as an AC tank in high reaper content. 500 seems a bit better and 600 is quite a step up from 500.

Anyway that is just my opinion. YMMV of course.
Please stop trying to tell people AC works it'll get nerfed.

The correct statements for AC are:

It doesn't work or the places it does work your better off doing DPS anyways.
AC is a loss of DPS and DPS is king
AC lowers your party's DPS so therefore it is bad
Why AC when you can DPS?

Tremes

My build came from Emergenciesonly. I tweaked it a bit, but basically the same. I prefer to run PDK instead of Aasimir, and a few other tweaks, but essentially the same.

Past lives
Heroic 9
Iconic 3
Racial 3
Epic 9

You can download his build (which is basically what I use) from Strimtons discord channel. Hope this helps.

Tremes

Please stop trying to tell people AC works it'll get nerfed.

The correct statements for AC are:

It doesn't work or the places it does work your better off doing DPS anyways.
AC is a loss of DPS and DPS is king
AC lowers your party's DPS so therefore it is bad
Why AC when you can DPS?
Did I once ever say I was a DPS build? Just because you like DPS does not mean it works for everyone. And yes you can as my guildies, or anyone else I have tanked for, it keeps them from taking a lot of damage. So just because it is not your cup of tea does not mean it is for all.

Bowserkoopa

King of the Koopa's
Did I once ever say I was a DPS build? Just because you like DPS does not mean it works for everyone. And yes you can as my guildies, or anyone else I have tanked for, it keeps them from taking a lot of damage. So just because it is not your cup of tea does not mean it is for all.
Tremes rolls to save vs sarcasm and rolls a 1 FAILURE!

My post was meant as sarcasm and also to follow the forum trend of never saying anything is good because once the devs think ANYTHING is good it gets nerfed. Also my main toon is a tank for what it's worth.

PraetorPlato

Do you find that AC is still useful for raids? I've found that it's very limited what raids it actually works in. (the broader point of tanks good I obviously don't disagree with)

FVSHasBeenEvenMoreGutted

Do you find that AC is still useful for raids? I've found that it's very limited what raids it actually works in. (the broader point of tanks good I obviously don't disagree with)
it heavily depends on the raid/difficulty. if we are talking about DoJ, MoD, thunderholme and the like, then you can get enough AC on a dps on r1. if we are talking about some hard raids such as KT strah and some of the bosses in PN (irk mostly), then again, AC matters somewhat. If we are talking about modern raids (skellies and FoM) on elite or r1 AC has a hard time being useful, but if just running hard raids most of the time its good to get

PraetorPlato

it heavily depends on the raid/difficulty. if we are talking about DoJ, MoD, thunderholme and the like, then you can get enough AC on a dps on r1. if we are talking about some hard raids such as KT strah and some of the bosses in PN (irk mostly), then again, AC matters somewhat. If we are talking about modern raids (skellies and FoM) on elite or r1 AC has a hard time being useful, but if just running hard raids most of the time its good to get
That's fair, but also anything with 7k hp and reasonable everything else will do just fine on hard, so it's less relevant. From limited testing and what I've heard from others, a lot of modern raids it's not really that the necessary value is high, it's just that the raid boss has ~infinite to-hit.

Bowserkoopa

King of the Koopa's
My advice is try it yourself but really try it don't just go into raid A and say well I feel like I got hit too much and my X ac is not working. Really try it get X ac then try for more and test again and again.

Sparty

Currently have a tank and unbuffed has an AC of 437, 434PRR and 215mrr, 5400hp
Any opinions on whether I could tank FOM? I haven't tried tanking that raid yet

DBZ

I like legendary scav sets with the adq light armor easy to use if you just want max lightning resists n absorbs

Weathered targe bta max lightning too