Pure Summons/ solo build Warlock? Brand new player

Dementedleo1974

As title states, I just started the game after struggling to get it to start up... I have reinstalled and messed with settings after following guides in forums... but alas I am finally in game.. I was playing around with a quick farm build for points and have the bar/wiz/fighter farmer doing point run....
I want to be able to play a true summoner warlock that can solo most stuff for first go through and learn.. Background on me, I play Neverwinter as main game and have every class sitting around 85-90k ilvl , have done everything in game as of now... so been wanting to try this out and have enough time to now.
I got the pack code so was farming points to buy all 4 of the xpac packs on sell and then see what I need after. im level 3 or just about to be and I am in the field area doing that underground lair.. been able to solo to epic with this farm build so far. I want to play as a main for now a Warlock that summons and can Solo through this game if possible. So please remeber I dont know the jargen here and I have to keep looking stuff up from wiki and all. I am an older player as well. maybe not as old as some.. 49 years young.. Any help is appreciated and will be looking for home team. I play alot so thats reason asking for solo build..
Thanks for reading

Ed

Archest

summons what? I use summons buffs in the enhancement trees, there are some epic tree summons buffs as well
generally use scrolls for summon monster's, level 8 and 9 are rare scrolls so getting the spell for them is better as they are the strongest as you level.
mass buff spells will help if you can squeez them in how ever you will probably want to use attack spells instead.
I use buff wands for summoned creatures.
but mass spells would buff all the summoned entities at the same time.
to me its hard enough to maintain 1 summoned creature then to pop a lot of distractions. (clicky low level summons)
they need healing show them some love.
here's a list of enhancements to boost summoned creatures abilities

Augment Summoning Feat ( doesn't stack with any other Augment summoning feat, is 1 of several options to obtain it)
Your summoned creatures, charmed minions, and hirelings have +4 to all ability scores, increased health
(amount equal to what the the toughness feat would grant - Total Hit dice +2), and increased fortification (+50%).

Topaz of Augmented Summoning
Grants the feat Augment Summoning.

Shifter(race): Teir 3
Augment Summoning: Grants Augment Summoning Feat.

______________ Summon Enhancments __________

Warlock Enlightened Spirit Enhancement Fortify Summons
Fortify Summons: Your summoned creatures, hirelings, and pets get 25%/50%/100% fortification, +5/+10/+20 PRR, and +5/+10/+20 MRR.

Warlock Enlightened Spirit Enhancement Imbue Summons
Imbue Summons: Your summoned creatures/hirelings/pets gain +10/+20/+30 Melee, Ranged, and Universal Spell Power.

Warlock Enlightened Spirit Enhancement Displace Summons
Displace Summons: Your summoned creatures/hirelings/pets gain a permanent 25% Concealment, as per the item effect "Lesser Displacement", and 10% Dodge.

Harper Agent Enhancement Harper Leadership
Harper Leadership: Your hirelings, summoned, and charmed creatures gain [+2/+3/+4] to all ability scores.

Epic stuff

Primal Avatar
Shared Mantle: While within your Primal Avatar Destiny Mantle you gain +3 Imbue dice. Your summons and hirelings now also benefit from your Primal Avatar Destiny Mantle, and they gain your current Spell Power Values.
Natural Shielding: Your summons, pets and hirelings gain 60% of your Max Hit Points and 30 Magical Resistance Rating instead. Summoned minions also gain +4 Reflex Saves and Evasion.

Magus of the Eclipse can extend its epic mantle to summoned creatures.
Grand Summoner: Your summons, pets, and hirelings gain +4 to all ability scores, increased health, 100% Fortification, and a 40% increase to movement speed. Stack with augment summoning and similar effects.
Share the Light: While your Frostlight Mantle is active, your summons now also benefit from it. For the purpose of this skill, these summons have your Cold and Negative Spell Power.

The Cry of Battle filigree set bonus
2 Pieces Equipped: Your minions gain +4 to all ability scores and +20 Melee Power, PRR and MRR
3 Pieces Equipped: Your minions gain (an additional) +4 to all ability scores and +20 Melee Power, PRR and MRR

Scion of Elysium: Summoned creatures gain +25 PRR and MRR, +20 MP, RP, and USP, +100% Fortification and gain a 5% chance to ignore incoming damage entirely.

Other

Past Life: Druid: Your summoned creatures, charmed minions, and hirelings gain [+2/+4/+6] to all ability scores

Pack Presence: Forms a link between a leader and his or her pack. The caster chooses to reduce or increase his or her minions' hate generation by 75%. The spell affects all of the target's hirelings, pets, summoned creatures, and charmed creatures.

Harrowing Pack: Grants the caster and all of his or her hirelings, pets, summoned creatures, and charmed creatures a +2 enhancement bonus to flanking attacks, and granting them a knockdown effect when they roll a 20 on attack rolls.

Pack Aptitude: Granting all of the target's hirelings, pets, summoned creatures, and charmed creatures a circumstance bonus to an ability score. It grants a +2 bonus per 3 caster levels, with a maximum of +6.

Tenacious Pack: Granting all of the target's hirelings, pets, summoned creatures, and charmed creatures +30 enhancement bonus to fortification and +60 positive healing amplification (enhancement bonus).
Passive

Epic Summons Each epic level grants your summons, pets and hirelings: +5 Melee and Ranged Power, +10 Universal Spell Power, +5 PRR and +5 MRR.
This does not appear on the character sheet, but does show on the summoned creature's inspection panel as Epic Summons.

______Buffs

Summons benefit from buff spells / abilities, just like any party member.
Some buffs exclusively affect your summoned / charmed / hired helpers:

______Hires with summon monster ( none have devine vitality)

SOR 01 Elizabeth Cinder
FVS 01 Clara Eidhart
FVS 02 Galanis Mithion
WIZ 02 Tome
SOR 03 Arianalla Eyes-of-Darkness
FVS 04 Burak Dazhbog
CLR 07 Flower
CLR 08 Fergus
CLR 09 Samuel Merrik
SOR 11 Aithas the Dour
WIZ 18 Lalisa Forestwing
CLR 19 Klin Stegen
FVS 19 Caraneth Myar

Note:
For synergy, Feydark Illusionist Tier 5 has an ability that gives +5 Force Spell Power and an additional +1 Illusion DCs for every Augment Summoning feat you have.

Note: if you do happen to group you will have issues with trying to buff your summons and keep up with the group.
tip with the larger summoned monsters i like to use INVISABLE so they do not block line of site for others and to be weary of not having the monster hover over a chest so that others can access the chest.

Matuse

Warlocks are very strong. Summons are very, very, very weak. You'd be far better off just setting up for cone shape nuking.

Archest

Warlocks are very strong. Summons are very, very, very weak. You'd be far better off just setting up for cone shape nuking.
while summons are weak they do take focus away from your character from mobs. with proper buffs and healing can survive to assist your toon in beating mobs during solo play.

Xgya

Just remember: The best "summons" generally available to any character are hirelings.
If you don't run the hardest content and take the general summoning-related enhancements and equipment, you should manage to be get some use out of them.

While summoning spells exist, Warlocks don't really get access to any good ones until they get to Epics, where Epic Destinies hide some decent ones. Meanwhile, you can hire mercenaries starting at level 1 and there's a large selection of them available as you slowly level up, though that selection eventually dries up as you go into Epic quests.

unbongwah

I want to play as a main for now a Warlock that summons and can Solo through this game if possible.
The good news: Warlock is a pretty strong option for a solo caster. I recommend starting with Tiefling Fiend warlock; Strimtom's newbie build is a good place to start, even though it's almost two years old.

The bad news: summoning is pretty terrible in DDO, at least if you're trying to get by with only the Summon Monster spells: because (A) you're only allowed one summoned critter at a time; (B) even fully buffed they don't scale in power with difficulty nearly as much as enemy mobs do so they tend to go down fast; and (C) their AI is bad which just compounds the first two problems.

There are some interesting builds based on epic summoning, but I wouldn't recommend them to a beginner, not least because they don't come into action until level 20 or beyond. And even there, summoning is usually a sideline, not a primary focus.

There are a few classes which get a pet: Artificer, druid, Dark Hunter (ranger archetype), and wizard (Pale Master). Pets are permanent companions which are a lot stronger than summons, though still not enough to keep up with Elite/Reaper mobs. But if you really want to give the Summoner Life a go, I would recommend using one of those classes. Druid and wizard also get access to the regular summoning spells too.

Uska

Founder
The good news: Warlock is a pretty strong option for a solo caster. I recommend starting with Tiefling Fiend warlock; Strimtom's newbie build is a good place to start, even though it's almost two years old.

The bad news: summoning is pretty terrible in DDO, at least if you're trying to get by with only the Summon Monster spells: because (A) you're only allowed one summoned critter at a time; (B) even fully buffed they don't scale in power with difficulty nearly as much as enemy mobs do so they tend to go down fast; and (C) their AI is bad which just compounds the first two problems.

There are some interesting builds based on epic summoning, but I wouldn't recommend them to a beginner, not least because they don't come into action until level 20 or beyond. And even there, summoning is usually a sideline, not a primary focus.

There are a few classes which get a pet: Artificer, druid, Dark Hunter (ranger archetype), and wizard (Pale Master). Pets are permanent companions which are a lot stronger than summons, though still not enough to keep up with Elite/Reaper mobs. But if you really want to give the Summoner Life a go, I would recommend using one of those classes. Druid and wizard also get access to the regular summoning spells too.
Sadly this is true

Dementedleo1974

Thank you all for the responses, I didn't think it woul be like that. Hmm ok how do you make a solo viable pew pew lock? Something traditionally Warlock.

Archest

I like warlock with chain and Crowd Control.
Hypnotism
Web
Evard's Black Tentacles

level 5 and 6 spells give you the summon monster rare scroll spells.
as bad as everyone says they are, if they are used correctly they do the job you expect.
they aren't going to win the battle while you stand looking pretty in the back ground but they do survive and distract attacking mobs and individuals will argo to them before you.

Ying

5000+ hours played
Thank you all for the responses, I didn't think it woul be like that. Hmm ok how do you make a solo viable pew pew lock? Something traditionally Warlock.
Choose Great Old One pact for acid pact damage. It's the least resisted element type.

Neutral Dragonborn Warlock 20 Feats:
1: Quicken
3: Maximize
6: Empower
9: Enlarge
12: Conjuration Focus
15: Greater Conjuration Focus
18: Heighten
21: Epic Eldritch Blast
22: Epic Pact Dice
24: Embolden
25: Spell power: Acid
27: Ruin
28: Spell power: Force
30: Greater Ruin, Scion of Plane of Earth
31: Specialty School: Illusion

Every four levels you can increase an attribute by +1. You put all of those into Charisma.

Skill points: You put 1 into UMD, 1 into Tumble and max out Spellcraft.

While leveling up, you pick up the highest Impulse (Force) and Corrosion (Acid) gear in terms of spellpower and spell critical chance.

In terms of enhancements, I go Tainted Scholar to get Chain shape as soon as I can and get the 3rd Pact Dice in that tree. Around 6th level, I will respec my enhancements and put 13 in the tree for Cone shape and core 3. Then the rest go into Tainted Scholar, which you ultimately spend 41 action points into.

If you buy Feywild, then you'll have access to the Feydark Illusionist tree which pairs well. Otherwise put the rest of your points into the Dragonborn tree for the 30 acid spellpower, 3 Conjuration focus, and 2 Charisma from the cores.

Fisto Mk I

It's also a Reflex save for Sonic, compared to Will for Acid. Sonic is going to do less damage overall compared to Acid.
Sorry for question... are you sure Acid save is Will for pact damage? According to other spell/effect save, Acid/Electric/Sonic is Reflex, Fire is Fortitude and Frost is Will. Yea, in Wiki it designated as Will save, but someone real testing it?

raesene

I'm currently playing a solo warlock summoner build and it's working out pretty well (For me anyway)

I'm solo'ing R1 at cap (e.g. Raveloft, Sharn, Catastrophe) and I've not died yet.

The build is a combination of https://forums.ddo.com/index.php?threads/the-summoner-has-been-summoned.7287/page-2 and https://forums.ddo.com/index.php?th...-past-lives-mid-reaper-solo-video-series.480/

I've found that with the various buffs and feats, the end-game gold-seal hirelings can kill a decent number of monsters at this level, and can wear down bosses with a bit of time.