Red Dragon Breath Post 66

LurkingVeteran

I can see why they want to nerf caster burst potential a bit in easier content, but I don't understand why they also nuked spell scaling in high reaper. If high-reaper was too easy then everything else was even worse, so why nerf reaper? They should have rolled back the reaper changes when they nerfed DB and MCL-capped all the epic strikes.

I also really wonder if the MCL capping was done reflexively without proper thought. There are a few heroic spells that legit have MCL 25. The epic ones should probably have been around there as well, or they should just remove MCL entirely as it is a very confusing and poorly designed concept. One of the devs has even previously hinted at this possibility.

Aelonwy

I also really wonder if the MCL capping was done reflexively without proper thought. There are a few heroic spells that legit have MCL 25. The epic ones should probably have been around there as well, or they should just remove MCL entirely as it is a very confusing and poorly designed concept. One of the devs has even previously hinted at this possibility.
That particular nerf came across like "Oh you don't like the nerfs? too much for you? Let's see if it can be made worse." And no they didn't say that... but people were already complaining that they had nerfed it too much and not brought the other caster strikes up enough to meet in the middle so their next action was to... nerf it more... because that's what you do when people complain you are already going too far.

Made me think of that Pirate T-shirt I have... "The beatings will continue until morale improves." Unfortunately, its not the fun Castle Anthrax kind.

Smokewolf

No matter the increase in spell points, DB is now useless like the rest of the caster strikes. I've been questing quite a bit with my wizard and I've simply stopped using it.

It must be accepted that caster strikes have gone the way of the dodo, exactly like the version of the shiradi for casters. Say goodbye, because the devs are not going to back down.

The strikes from the melees trees are much better. Orchid blossom has more than 20 times the effectiveness of DB even without having melee power. Add some melee power to your spellpower and you'll see 150K or more damage. The rest of the strike melees aren't as cute, but they're not capped at level 20. Face it, devs hate spellcasting.

If you are willing to give up a caster tree, with all the sacrifices that entails, orchid blossom gives better results than DB has ever given.
Arcane Bolt / Blast at least uses the highest spell school for its DC, unlike other spells that are fixed to a specific school. Though it is annoying that I can't cast it higher than level 23 without some form of augmentation. Fan of Shadow Blades doesn't have a MCL issue, but its base damage is low, thus resulting in less than spectacular hits.

Lazuli

Arcane Bolt / Blast at least uses the highest spell school for its DC, unlike other spells that are fixed to a specific school. Though it is annoying that I can't cast it higher than level 23 without some form of augmentation. Fan of Shadow Blades doesn't have a MCL issue, but its base damage is low, thus resulting in less than spectacular hits.
Arcane bolt/blast are not spic strike, are heroic enhancements. Anyways I don't like them on epics. You waste 6 enhancement points for a (very) mediocre damage. No, thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: DBZ

Reifee - Orien

The overall Functionality is pretty abysmal.

Whats even more dissapointing is the person that reads the forum should be posting a bit of a response and feedback from the Development team.

Its important to have a communication path that goes both ways. This is feedback from your playerbase that is just simply getting ignored. I would imagine the purpose is not being completely shared and its something to help slow things down.

Considering you can TR in 3 - 4 days it makes no difference in the TR cycle. It does take some of the fun out of things. I deactivated all of my accounts around the time of the change and I'll just spend the rest of my DDO points buying 10% exp pots to make up the difference when that runs out I'll reassess.

Smokewolf

Whats even more dissapointing is the person that reads the forum should be posting a bit of a response and feedback from the Development team.

Its important to have a communication path that goes both ways. This is feedback from your playerbase that is just simply getting ignored. I would imagine the purpose is not being completely shared and its something to help slow things down.

Considering you can TR in 3 - 4 days it makes no difference in the TR cycle. It does take some of the fun out of things. I deactivated all of my accounts around the time of the change and I'll just spend the rest of my DDO points buying 10% exp pots to make up the difference when that runs out I'll reassess.
Dev's rarely provide feedback, unless it supports their narrative.

Titus Ovid

Mover and Shaker

I am sorry I have to say: Welcome to DDO.

Cheers,
Titus

Onyxia2016

This hasn't been true in DDO for as long as I can remember (5+ years). (it's also not true in 5e, usually, depending on level of optimization).
DDO is based on the 3e ruleset. So in this case my statement stands.

Now if DDO is wanting to move away from 3e then it should make the move as mixing rulesets just creates a nightmare.

You have rules that have been tested by millions over the years. Changing even one thing that deviates from the specified ruleset is asking for the entire house of card to come tumbling down.

Reactions: dur

PraetorPlato

DDO is based on the 3e ruleset. So in this case my statement stands.

Now if DDO is wanting to move away from 3e then it should make the move as mixing rulesets just creates a nightmare.

You have rules that have been tested by millions over the years. Changing even one thing that deviates from the specified ruleset is asking for the entire house of card to come tumbling down.
3e was not *exactly* considered well-balanced, but outside of mailman combos, martial still did more damage than casters in high-op games—uberchargers and throwers did serious damage, at the cost of flexibility. (also, DDO balance is totally different because of PRR/MRR/melee power/spellpower/live combat/no turn based/no flexibility for casters)

Last edited:

Ratman

I’d love to hear an official response on this.

Why is dragonbreath suddenly too strong after all the time between the u59 destiny revamp and now?
In what content was it too strong specifically? Epic levelling? Legendary high skull reaper quests? Raids?
Was it too strong because it was not level capped?
Why is a higher level cap bad?

To me it seems like more of a coincidence that dragonbreath even got nerfed on the level cap, with the way it was handled on the forums nerfing the level cap did not seem initially intended at all.

It definitely did not need the level cap nerf on top of the damage dice nerf, the other strikes should have just been buffed to match the level cap of 30 or not having a level cap at all (I’m not sure wich one it was)

Strikes not having a cap in general would definitely make for some very interesting build choices.

Please give us a response ssg.
I do not think a response is in the cards. I have begged for one. Just wish they’d give us an explanation of reasoning so we at least understand why and who seems to hate casters so much. Communication is key, and the communication on this one is curiously sparse.

I won’t do falconry, either. Too high an investment. GCS, illusion DC for CC, extra CHA, and EK. MotE and meteor swarm for extra damage maybe have to switch to ice and get multiple freezing procs for more CC. have to experiment but DPS is just going to be slower, and the stark irony of DB getting crushed in YotD… first time ever I have not bought Ottos to a large degree nor DDOP. My soloing ability is heavily diminished by no DB that can actually wipe a majority of mobs effectively. That makes me play a lot less and now my norm group is all that’s left to okay high reaper unless I’m lucky with LFM, so basically can only high reaper on Sunday AM only because soloing now not worth the time for the reduced reaper XP. If they up the RXP because of the nerf to compensate the extra time & far more manna involved for the same result this would bother me a lot less. Might even get me to use an alt if I can rise quicker. Having to drop from r6/7 solos to r4 solos to die at similar rates (on certain content) erodes my ability to play as often as I would like.

As an example If they just said hey all, this is just another effect of inflation and we need this kind of change to keep game viable because we need people to buy more “x” I could really respect that. Times are tough and I think people would understand that and respect the forthright nature of a comment like that. It’s the lack of response that gets me frustrated, at least.

Reactions: DBZ

DBZ

Spell timers are mandatory that route then and procs

LGS salt, freezing ice, theres other options

Last edited:

Aelonwy

I do not think a response is in the cards. I have begged for one. Just wish they’d give us an explanation of reasoning so we at least understand why and who seems to hate casters so much. Communication is key, and the communication on this one is curiously sparse.
You know how a lot of nerfs are blamed on fixing/improving a source of lag... but then lag doesn't really improve or gets worse (semi-recent DA changes and making mobs faster.) Fixing a source of lag is an explanation that most players will swallow unquestioned even if nothing gets better.

If they had anything to say that they thought was remotely acceptable to the playerbase at large they would have already said it. Ergo, whatever reason they had for the overnerf was likely something many or most of us would not have found acceptable or palatable and therefor silence and ignoring us is their best course of action.

But there is still a message in the silence... take it or leave it, adapt or despair, because that's all you're getting.

Onyxia2016

You know how a lot of nerfs are blamed on fixing/improving a source of lag... but then lag doesn't really improve or gets worse (semi-recent DA changes and making mobs faster.) Fixing a source of lag is an explanation that most players will swallow unquestioned even if nothing gets better.

If they had anything to say that they thought was remotely acceptable to the playerbase at large they would have already said it. Ergo, whatever reason they had for the overnerf was likely something many or most of us would not have found acceptable or palatable and therefor silence and ignoring us is their best course of action.

But there is still a message in the silence... take it or leave it, adapt or despair, because that's all you're getting.

The bugs are getting way out of hand. The issues with lag is getting worst not better. Wife and I played on Wayfinder and even we noticed it and that is saying something. The new Dragon Lord archetype, the pièce de résistance, for the latest update was not even released without bugs.
The framerate issue was the kicker. It went on for to long and we just stopped playing. Found another game we enjoy.

Can't say we are gone forever, depends on what the future holds.

The Narc

We barely got interaction on the Lamannia forums about the chop-job they were doing on DB. They wanted caster Epic strikes nerfed to heroic standards. For whatever reason... take your pick... casual players completing quests too fast to need purchasing Ottos boxes, players not buying enough xp pots so slow down quest efficiency, shaking up the meta so people pay to respec A$/hearts/pots. Maybe we are at another one of those points in the cycle where casters are meant to be only the melees' support like old 20's-Only epics... you know heals/CC/buffs sit back and let the real heroes do their job. Whatever the case may be the DMs don't care what we think about it, they don't care that casters are having less fun, they only care that we continue to pay one way or another.

Sooner or later it will be the melees turn for major nerfs in the cycle and many of those same players telling casters to "walk it off" will be moaning and complaining about their own butt hurt. Despite having few melee characters myself I am NOT looking forward to such comeuppance. My hubby and son play mostly melee and I think if the devs make this game any less fun my hubby is going to quit. Then there just won't be any motivation for me to stay either. They are riding the line hard where sunk-cost fallacy is starting to feel like a BDSM relationship.
Yes cosmetic Mistress Aelowny!

*kneels*