Remove the late XP penalty to help new players

Smokewolf

No... A blaket removal would 100% be abused.

Only exception I could imagine would be in the Heroic quests 10 and lower. This is all legacy content, that experienced players blow through without so much as blinking.

-Smoke

Dandonk

This is not the title you're looking for
I would definitely supporting loosening this penalty, if not outright removing it. This does seem somewhat punishing to especially newer players who might have trouble finding the quest being done.

Nebless

Absolutely not. This just continues to erode the whole friggin' premise of Dungeons and Dragons. You must gather your party before venturing forth. Go friggin' play WOW or whatever the frak and leave it! :p

It's a well-known EXPLOIT.

I'm with Dur on this. All that would happen if they did away with it, would be players would just stand outside the dungeon and pop in at the last min to get the xp.

Fhrek

One Badge of Honor achieved
Absolutely not. (...) You must gather your party before venturing forth.
Exactly! Join your party before the quest began and enter. Reaper entrance mechanic is a nice one, it close the instance after 10 min. Getting rid of late exp penalty will be exploited on Elite and beneath. So, is pointless change something that is WAI.

All that would happen if they did away with it, would be players would just stand outside the dungeon and pop in at the last min to get the xp.
That is so true.

somenewnoob

Yeah it's dumb. Scrap it. That's what you should have been doing instead of making changes to Amber Temple that nobody wants.

T.O.

While I am more than ok with helping out new players. I am always suspicious of threads that open up with "for the new players". Plain and simple if you didn't contribute then you don't deserve full credit. As it is there isn't that many quest's these days that are that long to complete. Most quests are sub 10 minutes. I don't even think you can get a penalty in that time.

Grunndi

I'm with Dur on this. All that would happen if they did away with it, would be players would just stand outside the dungeon and pop in at the last min to get the xp.
Yeah I’ll echo everyone else saying the “Late Entry” penalty is fine. Chances are if you step in 8+ minutes into a quest you didn’t do much to deserve XP. You’ll take a little XP hit on the first quest, then be ready for the rest. Just ask if you don’t know where something is, most people I know that put up leveling LFMs are happy to direct a new player.

Speaking of time gated XP though, I have always thought there should be some kind of XP boost for spending a LONG time in a quest. Like 4x the typical completion time. As someone with a few hundred lives between my toons that tends to Zerg my tail off, it’s a bonus I’m quite sure I’d never get. But when I see LFMs of people struggling through Hard for 90mins on a quest I know I can complete r1 in under 10mins, it makes me think there should be some sort of Endurance bonus or something. It’d get ignored by power levelers, and give a little pat on the back to people that are probably struggling, very new, or just flower sniffing every corner of the quest.

Buddha5440

New players who join the LFM where quest is already in progress or about to complete, take their time to reach the quest, especially where there is no teleporter. This is another block in their DDO experience. Please consider removing this penalty.
No...You should not get experience from something that was done before you got there.

If you weren't there to, at least, witness how the others killed things, or disabled traps, found secrets, etc.(and these things can add up to 25%(conquest), 15%(ransack), 30%(Ingenious Debilitation) and 15%(Vigilant Sight)), you should not gain from that.

NO, No, No.

Last edited:

Buddha5440

Yeah I’ll echo everyone else saying the “Late Entry” penalty is fine. Chances are if you step in 8+ minutes into a quest you didn’t do much to deserve XP. You’ll take a little XP hit on the first quest, then be ready for the rest. Just ask if you don’t know where something is, most people I know that put up leveling LFMs are happy to direct a new player.

Speaking of time gated XP though, I have always thought there should be some kind of XP boost for spending a LONG time in a quest. Like 4x the typical completion time. As someone with a few hundred lives between my toons that tends to Zerg my tail off, it’s a bonus I’m quite sure I’d never get. But when I see LFMs of people struggling through Hard for 90mins on a quest I know I can complete r1 in under 10mins, it makes me think there should be some sort of Endurance bonus or something. It’d get ignored by power levelers, and give a little pat on the back to people that are probably struggling, very new, or just flower sniffing every corner of the quest.
While that would be nice...a kind of 'We toughed it out' bonus... I can't think of any way to track that, as you could just stand around until you reached the time that would min/max the opportunity cost and then kill the boss (complete the quest).

Chai

Wait. People are concerned about how others who aren't in their group play?

Must be an even numbered Sunday in an odd number month.

On odd numbered Sundays in even numbered months "why do you care how others play" is a top argument posted in response to any constructive criticism of the current state of affairs.

Cyran

If the goal is to get exp without having to do anything what possible benefit would there be to standing outside the dungeon and jumping in at last second vs standing at the start of the quest and going afk until everyone else finish quest? It seems to me that if you already at quest entrance it make more sense to jump in and then go afk since that way you don't even need to pay attention what going on to know you need to go into quest.

The only people that would benefit from removing this penalty is people joining LFM for groups that already started and clearly the people in the group don't care about them getting exp for doing less work otherwise they would not be accepting people into group after starting.

If the goal is to get exp without having to do anything what possible benefit would there be to standing outside the dungeon and jumping in at last second vs standing at the start of the quest and going afk until everyone else finish quest? It seems to me that if you already at quest entrance it make more sense to jump in and then go afk since that way you don't even need to pay attention what going on to know you need to go into quest.

The only people that would benefit from removing this penalty is people joining LFM for groups that already started and clearly the people in the group don't care about them getting exp for doing less work otherwise they would not be accepting people into group after starting.
You're forgetting that xp pots exist. Imagine how long an xp pot would last if you only entered a quest for a second to get completion and full xp. Sitting afk inside the quest would make the pot count down, sitting outside and only entering for completion would not.

See the potential for abuse here?

GrayJedi AntiProPaladin

I mean it's like if we think about from IRL example (albeit this is a fantasy game)...
if your team does a bunch of work and learned from the experience, but someone came on the project super late, did they actually learn the same amount from the "experience".... ?

(late additions to the project/quest already get the "full credit" for Favour/DDOpoints, and flagging purposes. NPC end rewards, etc...)

edited: added stuff in (parentheses)

Last edited:

erethizon1

Instead of standing just inside the dungeon and getting exp when it completes. From an abuse standpoint it is a very minor difference. Only people that are bad at math thing the 80% of base penalty is a big deal. It is more like a 15% penalty in most quests. I jump at the chance to get any quest done with an 80% exp penalty because the actual amount of exp lost is very small and the time saved is often large.

That said, the original poster has a point. When I see someone post The Pit and they have been in it for 2 hours, I know I am never going to get through that exp penalty even if the rest of the quest takes me longer to do than if I had done the entire thing by myself. Saving a newbie and showing him what to do often takes longer than running the entire quest solo. Perhaps the 80% penalty should disappear once the time in the quest passes 60 minutes.

Lacci

Hm, I think there are probably a hundred things that should be done first to improve the experience for new players.
I don´t believe that new players really complain about getting less XP if they only do a little part of the quest.
Of course this is a problem with the all-or-nothing XP approach of this game, which i hate.
If you kill 49 kobolds, you get nothing, kill one more and you get 1000 XP. Most if not all other games would just reward you 20 XP for every kobold you kill. That way, this would be a non issue. You´d simply get XP (and loot) for everything you were part of.

And I agree, removing this penalty would probably be exploited more than it would help any new player.