Returning Player

dominp

Looking for some advice for a two returning players. Me and a buddy are returning after about 8 years being gone from the game and we are just looking for ideas on two builds that we can use together to get the most from playing only as a duo. We are not interested in joining a guild or playing with others.

Our first idea was to go with two warforged characters with one being a Artificer and the other being perhaps a Paladin or Fighter. With the auto-repair option for the Artificer pet it should help us to duo quite a bit of quests. I think we will use this option on one server but we would also like perhaps one or two other options as well to use on other servers. Our goal is simply to have fun but also just to see how far we can go with just the two of us, we would also use hirelings, pets and whatever options we can to help us along.

We have access to almost all races/classes and we are planning on buying the other options so all build types are ok to suggest. We would also like to keep one player as more of a ranged or spell user and the other a fighter type and of course having a rouge, artificer or a splash of them to deal with traps and locks.

Looking for some advice for a two returning players. Me and a buddy are returning after about 8 years being gone from the game and we are just looking for ideas on two builds that we can use together to get the most from playing only as a duo. We are not interested in joining a guild or playing with others.
The difficulty you're playing the quests on is going to matter for any suggestion. Are you going to be VIP (and therefor have every adventure pack, and the ability to open quests on any difficulty you want)?

If you're doing first life characters, and are premium (you've bought content at some point, but aren't active VIP, and are therefore starting quests on Normal) then Cleric hirelings absolutely can handle healing you two. That frees up a lot of space for you two to play what you enjoy. If you're planning on playing on Elite, cleric hirelings can still heal you fine, but there are some some hiccups and jank with that hireling system you'll need to learn first.

we would also like perhaps one or two other options as well to use on other servers. Our goal is simply to have fun but also just to see how far we can go with just the two of us, we would also use hirelings, pets and whatever options we can to help us along.

We have access to almost all races/classes and we are planning on buying the other options so all build types are ok to suggest. We would also like to keep one player as more of a ranged or spell user and the other a fighter type and of course having a rouge, artificer or a splash of them to deal with traps and locks.
Acid Warlock (pact of the great old one) is a lot of fun. They get ranged attacks in the form of their Eldritch blast. They can make the damage AoE fairly easily. They get access to a lot of utility/buff spells (Resist/Protection from Energy, Dimension Door/Teleport, and a fantastic damage spell Evard's Black Tentacles.) The Pact of the Great Old One also gives Knock which in my experience should unlock any chest/door you encounter. They also get some solid enchantment spells, allowing a more crowd control or minionmancing playstyle as an alternative.

They're fantastic, and fast, and fun. They bring out the Action part of DDO's "Action RPG". I'm planning on using one to grind out most of my racial past lives. And they're fairly easy to know how to gear- Acid spell power, and Light spell power (alignment damage is based on Light spell power).

But because you and your friend are new, and don't have a bunch of named items/best in slot items this Warlock is still going to be squishy and primed for death. Meaning it's primed for the other player to go melee like you wanted!

A BIT OF A NOTE
February 28th is probably going to be the release of the next patch. This includes a change to ranged attacks. I don't know how interested you might be in the technical minutia, but basically a bunch of range stuff is going to start dealing AoE damage. Since this is happening so soon, I wanted to bring it up because might affect you depending on what you choose to go with.

Also with that patch is a new fighter archetype, the Dragon Lord. It'll be free if you long in and talk to an NPC in the hall of heroes. And it sounds like it could fit in as the complementing melee to either the Acid Warlock I recommended, or to whatever other ranged/spellcaster type you settle on.

Onyxia2016

Until you know were the traps are, a trapper is a must. Rouge, DH or Arti. All can do well at ranged builds. Rouge with a great Crossbow can really pack a punch.

Warforged as a race has lots of advantages. It one is an Arti you at least have some heals.
Healing hirelings will be far less effective. There are some Wiz/Sorc hirelings that have repair spells that can help.

LeoLionxxx

Lion of Orien
Our first idea was to go with two warforged characters with one being a Artificer and the other being perhaps a Paladin or Fighter
Seems like a solid combo. Melees shine in early levels and then they get decent CC options so that's good. If the Arti is ranged that's good DPS while the fighter/paladin tanks. Arties are solid for traps and robot-healing too.

As mentioned earlier, you may like to consider waiting for the DragonLord Fighter arcetype to come out so you can use that shiny new feature.

Welcome back, I hope you have fun!

dur

aka Cybersquirt

Our first idea was to go with two warforged characters with one being a Artificer and the other being perhaps a Paladin or Fighter. With the auto-repair option for the Artificer pet it should help us to duo quite a bit of quests. I think we will use this option on one server but we would also like perhaps one or two other options as well to use on other servers. Our goal is simply to have fun but also just to see how far we can go with just the two of us, we would also use hirelings, pets and whatever options we can to help us along.

This is the essence of DnD, and Bravo! Go TEAM!

..okay, except for the guild part (which can grant v.nice bonuses and you wouldn't have to talk to a soul!) <-- shameless plug

There are so many classes now but it's not hard to get 'complimentary.' Just use your knowledge of DnD, or create toons based on how you like to play strategy/video games (up close or ranged).. tank/mage or Favored Soul/Dark Hunter.. the idea is one is ranging/magic, one is tank, IMHO

Let's not talk about how they made trapping hard for now, hmm?

dominp

The difficulty you're playing the quests on is going to matter for any suggestion. Are you going to be VIP (and therefor have every adventure pack, and the ability to open quests on any difficulty you want)?

If you're doing first life characters, and are premium (you've bought content at some point, but aren't active VIP, and are therefore starting quests on Normal) then Cleric hirelings absolutely can handle healing you two. That frees up a lot of space for you two to play what you enjoy. If you're planning on playing on Elite, cleric hirelings can still heal you fine, but there are some some hiccups and jank with that hireling system you'll need to learn first.

Acid Warlock (pact of the great old one) is a lot of fun. They get ranged attacks in the form of their Eldritch blast. They can make the damage AoE fairly easily. They get access to a lot of utility/buff spells (Resist/Protection from Energy, Dimension Door/Teleport, and a fantastic damage spell Evard's Black Tentacles.) The Pact of the Great Old One also gives Knock which in my experience should unlock any chest/door you encounter. They also get some solid enchantment spells, allowing a more crowd control or minionmancing playstyle as an alternative.

They're fantastic, and fast, and fun. They bring out the Action part of DDO's "Action RPG". I'm planning on using one to grind out most of my racial past lives. And they're fairly easy to know how to gear- Acid spell power, and Light spell power (alignment damage is based on Light spell power).

But because you and your friend are new, and don't have a bunch of named items/best in slot items this Warlock is still going to be squishy and primed for death. Meaning it's primed for the other player to go melee like you wanted!

A BIT OF A NOTE
February 28th is probably going to be the release of the next patch. This includes a change to ranged attacks. I don't know how interested you might be in the technical minutia, but basically a bunch of range stuff is going to start dealing AoE damage. Since this is happening so soon, I wanted to bring it up because might affect you depending on what you choose to go with.

Also with that patch is a new fighter archetype, the Dragon Lord. It'll be free if you long in and talk to an NPC in the hall of heroes. And it sounds like it could fit in as the complementing melee to either the Acid Warlock I recommended, or to whatever other ranged/spellcaster type you settle on.
We will not be VIP but we have already bought all classes/races/adventure packs and enhancement trees. We also plan to use the elite and hard unlock tokens to open quests. Probably doing elite only up to level 10 or 12 or until it gets too hard and then opening on hard from there after.

Frieling Slyhand

You could play two pale masters--one an Eldritch Knight melee/rogue splash for traps and the other a pale master caster/wizard. I've done this with a buddy and like it because we can heal each other with death aura and negative energy blasts, plus you get the skeleton, which is the best pet.

Lazuli

We will not be VIP but we have already bought all classes/races/adventure packs and enhancement trees. We also plan to use the elite and hard unlock tokens to open quests. Probably doing elite only up to level 10 or 12 or until it gets too hard and then opening on hard from there after.
Those unlocks are per quest. That is too expensive. My advice is group with veterans or go vip. Or play normal repeating in hard-elite only the best xp quests.

dominp

Those unlocks are per quest. That is too expensive. My advice is group with veterans or go vip. Or play normal repeating in hard-elite only the best xp quests.

The elite are only 25 DDO points and the hard are 15 DDO points. We have about 150 elite opens and 50 hard opens right now between the two of us. I also have about 5000 DDO points in my account so plenty to buy more as we need.

We thought about going VIP but honestly we are not sure how often we are going to be able to play each month, some weeks will probably be pretty good but with work and families we might sometimes go a couple of weeks of not being able to play so it made more sense for us to each just buy a lot of DDO points, get the adventure packs, classes, races, etc and then we can play when we want and don't have to worry about paying a month of VIP and not playing much that month.

We thought about going VIP but honestly we are not sure how often we are going to be able to play each month, some weeks will probably be pretty good but with work and families we might sometimes go a couple of weeks of not being able to play so it made more sense for us to each just buy a lot of DDO points, get the adventure packs, classes, races, etc and then we can play when we want and don't have to worry about paying a month of VIP and not playing much that month.
I'm not trying to change your mind, but only the person opening the quests needs to be VIP. They can open it on Elite, and then the non-VIP can enter the created instance. Also, this should be true for the Hard/Elite bypasses too (though I don't have any experience using them myself so sorry if this is highly obvious to you already).

Best of luck to the two of you. If it's not too much trouble, check back in with us in a couple of weeks and let us know how you and your buddy are liking your builds and the game!

dominp

I'm not trying to change your mind, but only the person opening the quests needs to be VIP. They can open it on Elite, and then the non-VIP can enter the created instance. Also, this should be true for the Hard/Elite bypasses too (though I don't have any experience using them myself so sorry if this is highly obvious to you already).

Best of luck to the two of you. If it's not too much trouble, check back in with us in a couple of weeks and let us know how you and your buddy are liking your builds and the game!
Yeah I was VIP for about 3 or 4 years after free play was introduced. Right now the only reason to be VIP would be to open quests on elite since we have bought all adventure packs, classes and races. And though we plan to play twice a week it could also easily be twice a month sometimes. The elite/hard opening tools are very easy to use, once you use it you have like 5 minutes to enter the quest. The only draw back is if you don't complete the quest for one reason or another you need to use another one, but that should not happen very often if at all.

DBZ

2 trs or itrs and you can both open elites that along with 1 shared bank is good

And you get 32 stat points

Lazuli

The elite are only 25 DDO points and the hard are 15 DDO points. We have about 150 elite opens and 50 hard opens right now between the two of us. I also have about 5000 DDO points in my account so plenty to buy more as we need.

No doubt you will know better what is best for you, but I would save those 5K points to buy tomes and inventory and bank space. They seem like a lot but they don't go far.

Have fun!