RNG revamp - clear out some nonsensical combinations

Titus Ovid

Mover and Shaker
Hello SSG,
hello forumites,

90% of the RNG loot is garbage. It is not even good, it is utterly useless.
There are well over 200 pre- and affixes in the game to generate loot from (basing this on the wiki and the gear master of the cc planer) and there seems to be no filter or algorithm that helps out generating useful loot. Therefore inventory gets clogged with garbage during questing, you got to run to a vendor and sell every 2 or 3 quests or disjunct or it gets left behind rotting in the chest. Even the rewards for the quests are garbage 90% of the time.

Long story short: please implement an algorithm that helps out with generating more useful loot. This would help new players to the game, as well. It was hard getting ok equipment as level cap was 20 and we had way less pre- and suffixes in the game then. Now it is close to impossible.

An idea would be to base it on combat style group like casters, melee, ranged or perseverance, speed, evading. Not for every generated loot but maybe have a chance to have a more optimized reward or item.

Thank you.

Cheers,
Titus

Upvote 12

mikarddo

RNG loot is mostly important for HC.

If one wanted to make RNG worth checking the following should be done:
- Always atleast 1 augment slot with a decent chance for 2 augments slots
- Always 3 effects
- Always highest possible value of each effect
- A change for mythic and/or reaper bonus

On boost weekends with boost potions, chest blessing etc that should make RNG semi-competitive again.

Oliphant

If they made a list of allowable bijections, pairs of effects that are allowable, they would be halfway there to making the algorithm.

saekee

long live ROGUE
I agree with OP and would like to see lootgen get even bigger boosts so that it is competitive with named loot. Wait! But named loot is special! It should be better than anything else! —No! Named loot is static and predictable and that is fine. Often it is part of sets. So random stuff needs to have a CHANCE to be superb in order to be considered. Buff it up, give it awesome chances for those fun affixes—let us create a new AH for good stuff. Tonquin-Lynnabel did a big update a couple years ago on lootgen; just modify it a bit more.

Secondly, we need to allow Cannith Crafting to put augments on them if they are missing. Make it yet another nice reason to boost cannith crafting. Augments are exciting now with all the upgrades.

Third, add the Wheloon named loot generator to rare random chests outside Wheloon—this will be ML26 (as it is now) and can be fed to sentient gems.

AND yes Anarchic handwraps are for masochistic monks of a religion that is not part of the DnD ‘verse. Although I can see a shifter argument here…

Titus Ovid

Mover and Shaker
RNG loot should be equal to cannith crafting in all stats, it is not always. I aiming for an overall improvement on the possible combinations to make them useful. Because you can have 4 stats and augments slots on RNG loot. Imagine all the planets and possible deities chip in and you get 4 stats that compliment each other and have the level appropriate numbers plus 2 augments slots. That would be superb indeed.

Cheers,
Titus

Titus Ovid

Mover and Shaker
Since the Producer's letter seems to be in the making it is time to bump some ideas back into the spotlight.

Cheers,
Titus

droid327

Ran gen is supposed to be random and mostly junk. You can't have something of value in every chest, or else you just cause rampant inflation of what constitutes "value".

Plus, they already did kinda implement this when they created the new "double stat" affixes, since those pair complementary stats manually.

Onyxia2016

Since the focus has turn to sets named gear and plat is devalued to oblivion and lets face it you only need some many thousands of Cannith Essences, RNG gear has taken a back seat.

As droid pointed out most of it is junk but I would not mind seen RNG loot get a boost so there are piece's that would fit nicely into sets.
I however would settle for RNG loot where the stats have something in common.

Maybe after rolling for the first stat and other stats get limited to sub-groups relating to it.

seph1roth5

I don't have very high hopes for this, since devs have specifically acknowledged certain effects (stat damage, guards, etc.) are and have been useless for a very long time, and still keep putting them in the game.

But it'd be great!

Rathy

Huh, based on my extensive research, I believe that DDO's magical gear is made by drunken wizards (i.e. the DDO random-loot generator).
Mostly junk but an occasional gem!

And for fun, a visual of those wizards!

ACJ97F

Same designers that waste named item slots with +5 quality accuracy on L32 gear, like +150 to hit you have isn't somehow enough, or sticking
CON, a specific save, and insightful assassinate on something that doesn't match anything else. I think they just do that on purpose at this point.
I think it was covered in their "make everything an artifact" meeting, when they ruined the concept of perfected gear.

Zvdegor

Melee Artificer Freak
RNG gear was awesome when highroad came out long ago. Still have 2 khooeshes in my bank. One with mauling the other one with destroyer effect. Ml 20 and 23. Will posts pics later afzer work.
One was end reward after Estar C3 the other one I found it in a random miniquest chest at High Road wilderness.
Dunno why dev thinks a somewhat good RNG item is too strong for leveling. At cap noone uses RNG. But for leveling it is fun if you find something cool.

Wini

RNG is perfectly fine the way it is. We need more sources of daily comedy, you know.

Also, I hope we continue getting repair kits and axiomatic arrows in ML34 raid chests, it feels so fresh and good =)

glass_jaws

At minimum, you shouldn't get the same effect twice on a piece of gear.

image.png