Server population should be number 1 priority

Cyberdine (YezakGai)

Cannith, Silver Legion
https://postimg.cc/Wdy46nzj
Is this your LFM ? I am curious ; How long does it take before someone joined you? did did you get any joiners at all?
Someone joined part way through catacombs, but left because they wanted to be flagged and not red door.

I did waterworks with a friend that wanted to join me.

Later that day, another joiner who did all of the level 4s with me. A friend who did all of feywild with me after that, and someone who wanted to join but was out of level range.

And that brings my first point, you level very fast through heroics. Unless you are in a static you leapfrog or get behind people very frequently. It's the nature of the early game. XP pots exacerbate that.

Just because at level five I did catacombs mostly alone does not mean the server is dead. Nor does me duoing the rest of the stuff up to level 8 where I'm at now.

This isn't to invalidate your experience. It's quite valid. But, you will have a different perspective than me.

The part that I have disagreed with is people claiming "all the good people left," or that the "server is a wasteland with nothing happening" etc etc, which is factually wrong. Even your screenshot is evidence of that. Heck, I'm responding to a good player.

It is not wrong to state we are less populated, thats just how it is. I hope I see you at cap as I spend more time there with my toons, but if I'm blitzing through heroics one day I hope I'm around your level.

Miahoo

Someone joined part way through catacombs, but left because they wanted to be flagged and not red door.

I did waterworks with a friend that wanted to join me.

Later that day, another joiner who did all of the level 4s with me. A friend who did all of feywild with me after that, and someone who wanted to join but was out of level range.

And that brings my first point, you level very fast through heroics. Unless you are in a static you leapfrog or get behind people very frequently. It's the nature of the early game. XP pots exacerbate that.

Just because at level five I did catacombs mostly alone does not mean the server is dead. Nor does me duoing the rest of the stuff up to level 8 where I'm at now.

This isn't to invalidate your experience. It's quite valid. But, you will have a different perspective than me.

The part that I have disagreed with is people claiming "all the good people left," or that the "server is a wasteland with nothing happening" etc etc, which is factually wrong. Even your screenshot is evidence of that. Heck, I'm responding to a good player.

It is not wrong to state we are less populated, thats just how it is. I hope I see you at cap as I spend more time there with my toons, but if I'm blitzing through heroics one day I hope I'm around your level.
So you run with 2.5 people and say the server is fine? ok...

Last edited:

Genkiba

Server population is irrelevant if you only solo.

big-brain-point-finger-at-forehead.gif

TedSandyman

Simple answer...Hardcore League has been active since Dec. 6th. When it ends (on the 7th of Feb.. You will see server populations increase.
Not a lot of people on Hardcore either. Most have got there easy rewards this season and moved on. There are some on hardcore, but not a lot. If I had to guess at a cause for a recent noticeable drop in population, I would blame another Dungeons & Dragonesque game that came out recently that really nails the D&D experience.

Col Kurtz

lmao... DDO stretched out the player base to lvl32. Of course. there are less people at your lvl now.

Try grouping on a game like Conan, where the player base ranges from 1-100 (if I remember right), and that has just one PVE server. Which is why I'm not enthused about DDO raising cap much more than it is now.

I know it's not the best comparison because Conan's popularity died long ago... but it was/is one of the more similar games to DDO... just a massively long journey to max lvl and their version of reincarnation. I unloaded it around lvl80, years ago.

I do wish DDO could take some of the ideas from that game. The mini quests in the slayer areas were super cool and fun (instead of just running around clicking journals), and the Combo attacks with the different unique animations, don't forget the casters with tiny armies of summoned creatures.

Apologies to Dev's for saying the C word;) ...but it's a great example of how to much of a good thing can be bad. That Franchise has a bigger cult following than D&D and it still failed. Now, its like DDO with a small number of die hards, and new players bail pretty quick usually.

Kheledon

The solution is so easy it's freaking ridicolous, aside from names, clearly, that btw could be an issue? I don't think so... The system could be reworked to use even the 2nd name to address to mails system messages and whatevs...
The solution for ship loss it's so easy it's shocking.
At the moment of transfer the Guild Leader or the one in charge, will send a message at support stating the said level of the guild, then the devs (I'm pretty sure Tonquin could create such a thing in.. 20 minutes?) creates a stone of guild exp for said amount.
Then if by any chance you bought a ship (like I personally did, i bought the kraken, SSG sends you a boat redemption ticket OR the same amount in astral shards (amenities bought with AS will be refounded, and you'll get all the deed you had.
It's a titanic job? heck yea.
Is it worth it? any sane of mind person would agree, SSG won't, seems like they like to make us suffer.
Character names must be the principal issue. How would you decide who gets to be Beast and who has to be Beast-C (Beast from the old, now-eliminated Cannith)? I see absolutely no solution to this problem that would not enrage thousands of players.

droid327

Purple Dungeon Alert, that solved lag, did it not?

Asking for a friend.

Well it at least stopped people from zerging as much...

You can *prevent* players from doing something, that's pretty easy. But its very hard to *compel* players to do something if they dont want to do it, such as "making" them group up if they prefer to solo.

Beast

Character names must be the principal issue. How would you decide who gets to be Beast and who has to be Beast-C (Beast from the old, now-eliminated Cannith)? I see absolutely no solution to this problem that would not enrage thousands of players.
Your right, names comes absolutely priorized instead of fun and a decent server population!
Clearly, that's my opinion and your is different, we will never agree on that, but that's fine, neither me or you are able to choose, and for what I see, no one will, ever, 'cause they don't give ape shoe of us :ROFLMAO:

owl

The number one priority should be ensuring players enjoy and want to continue playing the game.

Players had the opportunity to move to a more populated server with the free server moves. There were many reports the grass wasn't as green on the other side as it appeared.

People assume that making the server bigger will mean more grouping options - not sure that is true as bigger server means bigger guilds which means less reliance on LFMs and pug raiding.

Regardless of what server you are on finding people to group with is a personal responsibility and not something SSG can fix. If you are on a low pop server I guess I would ask why you didn't move when you had the chance if server population is your #1 priority?

The easiest path to grouping is being able to solo quests and just posting and lfm - people will join unless you are unpleasant to group with.

Onyxia2016

If you want/need to group you have to go out and make it happen. Don't expect the group requests to be beating down your door.
Wife and I play on Wayfinder and you can get groups going on the least populated server. Which oddly enough we are seeing an uptick in players online recently.

There is not a lot of LFM listed but there is a lot happening in guild chat, general chat or simply opening the social panel and PM'ing others in the level range, letting them know you are planning a run of X quest or X sage/story arc and if they would like to join. They may be a solo only player and there is nothing wrong with that but it does not hurt to make the offer. The point is lack of LFM is not a reflection of server activity or grouping option available.

Who knows there could very well be a dozen or so others in the same boat but if no one makes a move everybody looses.
Its the middle school dance situation. Boys are on one side of the gym and girls on the other. Neither wants to be the first to ask the other to dance.

Spell

I honestly never comment on the forums or make posts, but this conversation topic is the reason why people I got back into DDO quit. Hardcore season should just be a Hardcore server, and work needs to be done on population density. I already spend an unnecessary amount of time soloing heroic reapers because there is no one to play with, but the dips during the season are unsavory.
I run into the same issues on Sarlona. It's why I gave up with trying to play during HCL (and no, I don't want to play HCL as I hate the permadeath playstyle). I'm a vet that both does R2 leveling and high reaper at cap, but soloing is insanely difficult for me past the first few levels. I wish the events wouldn't take players away from the main servers, given overall populations are already much lower than I remember a long time ago (some point pre-MotU) and I played across all main servers still around (even have epic levels on 4 servers). I check the Who tab of the social panel regularly for a variety of reasons, but the fraction an amount of players in it is disappointing.

My experience is Cannith is not dead. I run regular PUG groups R8-R10, both during the day and at night. Yes, many players left, some quite good ones, but there is still a solid core of top tier players on this server. If anything we’ve only developed a stronger bond among the core remaining players, who all know each other, and get along well together. Also, a lot of toxic folks left making for a much healthier gaming experience. Knowing this, I’m good with having to wait a little longer for a group to fill.

Last edited:

Benihina

Tired of asking SSG to merge servers for the past 8 years. At this stage they simply dont care and/or afraid of having 2000 players in one server due to lag.
Yeah i have given up too. Que sera sera.. I post lfm and if someone joins thats great, if no one joins, I `ll solo.

DDO is already on maintainance mode player wise, like it or not. It is what it is, i guess cant expect anything anyway.

Benihina

My experience is Cannith is not dead. I run regular PUG groups R8-R10, both during the day and at night. Yes, many players left, some quite good ones, but there is still a solid core of top tier players on this server. If anything we’ve only developed a stronger bond among the core remaining players, who all know each other, and get along well together. Also, a lot of toxic folks left making for a much healthier gaming experience. Knowing this, I’m good with having to wait a little longer for a group to fill.
I hear you, Cannith is not dead , just about 15% left of HP bar . Still a long way to unconsious and eventually dead.
And you are right, i agree about the gratitude attitude the rest of the players have for each other. The 10ish players thats left sure have no choice but feeling thankfully for each other! I get to run with some great players , i run mostly heroics for the last 6 lives lately and had gotten to know some great players and theres honestly less than 10 players.

Compare to before where almost my full friend list were great players.
Player wise, Cannith is already on maintainance mode, where the said players you mentioned are keep healing the 15% HP bar i mentioned.

Understand what i am saying for those who is able to...